+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Invasion Tracker App Idea

Telaran

Default Invasion Tracker App Idea

I had an idea come up the other day when I was sitting around waiting for a few invasion to pop. With all the Smart Phones on the market and the various Apps for them that are available for just about anything, why not design a Smart Phone App for Rift that tracks Invasion Events. Something that sends an alert to your phone that tells you when invasions are happening in your Shard.

I am not sure what the logistics would be to make such an app for each shard, but I would find it fairly useful. If I am sitting there loafing watching re-runs of Doctor Who, and I see a fire invasion in a zone that I need, I can easily hop right on and help out.

Just some food for though. I know this game has already integrated functions with Twitter, Youtube, Facebook, and Smart Phones "Authenticator App," why not one more App?

Good idea,
    Make it so.

Even a purely in-game version of this would be cool. Just something unobtrusive in your chat pane that says <Event Name> has begun in <Zone Name> or something like that. Being able to see them on the world map is great, but you have to remember to check it. Can't tell you how many times I've zoomed out the map to see that an invasion I really wanted to join is just ending.
    On Laethys:

Bethany <Violent Harvest>, Guardian Cleric (Sentinel; Justicar; Druid), 50
    Nianeyna, Defiant Rogue (Ranger), 19
    Cimorene, Guardian Warrior (Paladin), 15
    Anghara, Defiant Mage (Chloromancer),13

Sez

Pulling up the map, and zooming out is too much work for you guys?

You know a big red glowy symbol appears in zones with an invasion, right?
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Sez View Post
    Pulling up the map, and zooming out is too much work for you guys?

You know a big red glowy symbol appears in zones with an invasion, right?
    Yeah that works just fine for me, but I was thinking of something that will alert me of an invasion when I am logged out. Generally have a lot of available time, but not always on for the good events. I know I would LOVE to know when the Major events are going on so I could get my alts a few Ancient Sourcestones.

I also think that nianyna is looking for maybe a raid warning type display that alerts you in game of events around the world. Yes it may display them on the map, but you have to be actively looking for them, or just notice it by chance when checking your map.
    Last edited by Azyurel; 05-24-2011 at 01:51 PM.

Sez

Quote Originally Posted by Azyurel View Post
    Yeah that works just fine for me, but I was thinking of something that will alert me of an invasion when I am logged out. Generally have a lot of available time, but not always on for the good events. I know I would LOVE to know when the Major events are going on so I could get my alts a few Ancient Sourcestones.
    Yeah, that one is fine, I was just commenting on people wanting in-game text alerts.
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

Short of Trion implementing it, I'd imagine the only way of doing what you suggest is having a tool running in the background constantly parsing your chat log for the start of event "shout" messages. If you had enough people running it in each zone and each server, you could effectively be notified when an event started via text/email. Sounds cool, but highly impractical though.
    [Server] Faeblight
    [Retail] M_1=Chloromancer(D), M_2=Cleric(D), A=Rogue(D)
    [Beta 1-7] Tank (Reaver/Paladin)

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Thulium View Post
    Short of Trion implementing it, I'd imagine the only way of doing what you suggest is having a tool running in the background constantly parsing your chat log for the start of event "shout" messages. If you had enough people running it in each zone and each server, you could effectively be notified when an event started via text/email. Sounds cool, but highly impractical though.
    This is why I would rather just have Trion take the idea onboard and design the App itself. It'd be much easier for them to maintain the App, this way it wouldn't require third party tools gobbling up tons of resources to function.

Yes it may display them on the map, but you have to be actively looking for them, or just notice it by chance when checking your map.
    And in fact even when I am actively looking for them I often miss them because I've gotten caught up in something else and forgot to check for half an hour or more. I don't want a raid warning to flash up on the screen with accompanying sound like it does when you're in the same zone as the event, because that would be obtrusive and annoying. Just a line of text in the chat box; I don't think that's particularly demanding of me. O.o

Anyway, I guess that's all slightly OT. An invasion-tracking smartphone app would be awesome! and yes, I think it would have to be done by Trion, because the logistics of a third party trying to do it are... yeah.
    On Laethys:

Bethany <Violent Harvest>, Guardian Cleric (Sentinel; Justicar; Druid), 50
    Nianeyna, Defiant Rogue (Ranger), 19
    Cimorene, Guardian Warrior (Paladin), 15
    Anghara, Defiant Mage (Chloromancer),13

+ Reply to Thread