+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ships and a new crafting profession to go with it....

Default Ships and a new crafting profession to go with it....

Why the would be needed
    Well as we know, the majority of the landmass in the game can already be explored (with the exception of the area to the side of Droughtlands). This suggests that possibly we'll see a new area in the game sometime in the future that isn't located on the existing landmass. That is, unless you teleport there. I feel that relying too heavily on initial discoveries of such lands via teleportation would be a cheap and tacky way of dealing with it (yes I know some lands in the game are done that way already). I also feel that reliance on teleportation in this instance would be a missed opportunity to add depth to the game.

Plus, as someone also discovered (source post), one of the latest weather forecast PR videos shows some extra areas in the game, one of which appears to be off the coast (Tempest Deeps):

http://i55.tinypic.com/wmghns.png
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cld6TlTmUlE

Finally, IF fishing ever comes in the game, the players could then fish stood on the deck of their ships.

Where players could get ships
    There could be "faction specific" Ship Deeds (each faction with its own specific designs) which can be bought from different faction vendors (DragonSlayers, Guardians, Defiants, etc, etc). There could also be player made ships too (see "Woodworker profession" section below). The ship deeds could be sold on the Auction House.

Once purchased the player right clicks on the deed in their inventory and it is inserted into the "Mounts" section of the players character sheet (just like when buying a mount). And just like using a mount, the player then drags the new Ship hotbar button from the Mounts section and puts it on their hotbar.

Invoking the ship
    To "call" the ship, the player must be stood beside a sufficiently deep enough body of water and can only be invoked on the coast and . The player clicks the Ship hotbar button on their hotbar, and a reticle appears on the ground, which would look like the similar reticles that appear when a player wants to invoke a target area AOE e.g. Burning Ground. And just like using a targettable AOE, the player then positions the recticle over near by and sufficiently deep enough water and left click to invoke the appearance of the ship. There is a specific range to invoke the ship (e.g. 25m), and once the ship has appeared, the player is teleported onto the deck. The ship remains in existence until the player clicks the same ship hotbar button which acts like the dismount function does for other mounts.

Moving the Ship around
    In order to "pilot" the ship, the player stands their avatar in front of the ships wheel and right clicks it. From this point on, the character is in "pilot" mode, which means that the character avatar remains stationary holding the wheel. A hotbar button could appear just above the hotbar (perhaps beside where the "Breath" / "Fatigue" bar appears) which allows the player to exit the "pilot" mode when they want to. Once the character is in "pilot" mode, then they guide the ship around just like they would with a mount, except without the facility to "jump" of course Movement is restricted to water that is deep enough (where the character would be swimming rather than wading through shallow water).

Once the player has selected the option to exit "pilot" mode, then can then freely walk around the deck of the ship.

Group / raid members embarking on the ship
    The only others allowed to embark on your ship would be those in your group / raid.
    If a group member is sufficiently close to the ship then an "Embark" button could appear somewhere on the UI (perhaps beside where the "Breath" / "Fatigue" bar appears). If the group / raid members OR the owner of the ship disembarks at any time, then they would see the "Embark" button again if they are within proximity of the ship. If the owner of the ship goes beyond a certain distance, then the ship automatically disappears just as if they had chosen to dismount.

Woodworker Profession
    A "Woodworker" profession could make bows, staves, wands and the deeds for boats (the recipe would require wood and a bit of metal). The profession would therefore be dependant on "Foragers" and Miners. And because the staves and wands recipes would be taken from the artificiers, they could get the ability to make trinkets in return (something that crafters cannot make yet).
    Last edited by Tarka; 05-16-2011 at 05:09 AM.

Please do make ships; while some teleportation is appreciated, I want to be in the world a lot more than I'm out of it. Also, this brings back fond memories of Ultima for NES. Haha.

I do like the idea of ships, but I don't think it should be a crafting profession. Also I'm not sure how well it would work, because for short distances swimming is easier, and for long distances - across an ocean, say - you'd get really bored really quick.

Ships are awesome, I just can't really see them being more than a novelty. *shrug*
    On Laethys:

Bethany <Violent Harvest>, Guardian Cleric (Sentinel; Justicar; Druid), 50
    Nianeyna, Defiant Rogue (Ranger), 19
    Cimorene, Guardian Warrior (Paladin), 15
    Anghara, Defiant Mage (Chloromancer),13

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by nianeyna View Post
    I do like the idea of ships, but I don't think it should be a crafting profession. Also I'm not sure how well it would work, because for short distances swimming is easier, and for long distances - across an ocean, say - you'd get really bored really quick.

Ships are awesome, I just can't really see them being more than a novelty. *shrug*
    A short distance Swim will become alot harder when they add Killer Sharks to the waterways

+ Reply to Thread