+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 90

Thread: "Sandbox" Construction & Terraforming; Siege Combat, and RVR!

  1. #1
    Plane Walker Haliaeetus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    447

    Thumbs up "Sandbox" Construction & Terraforming; Siege Combat, and RVR!

    I'd like to see several new continents added that are basically unoccupied (except for wildlife). These continents - which would be completely separate from any of the land we can walk right now - would essentially be a blank canvas for players to modify.

    Construction
    Players could construct buildings in these zones. I'm not talking just houses either - but fortresses, castles, walls, towers, etc. Most buildings would serve a function; towers, for example, could shoot at nearby hostile units; other buildings would just be aesthetic fluff like housing. Building solo would be possible, but limited: If a player wanted to find his own secluded spot in the woods to build a cottage, he could very well do that, but larger buildings, and walls, would require a guild to cooperate.

    Eventually guilds would have their own cities popping up, and here's where it gets fun. Two or more guilds could form an alliance - cities would turn into kingdoms and eventually player-run empires.

    Building materials would involve every profession in the game, but lean heaviest on the gathering professions. Generating enough resources to construct something would be a group task, and a fairly timely/spendy one. Building materials could also be obtained by recycling existing buildings.


    Siege Combat / RVR
    If two guilds don't like each other, instead of forming an alliance, they could wage war. Initiating a war would give the defending guild the option to choose a window of time - maybe two hours - any time that is at least 12 hours away from the time the decision is made; and no longer than 1 week. If the defending guild does not acknowledge the declaration of war within a few days, then the decision would be transfered to the attacking guild; if they don't choose a time within a few days, the declaration would expire.

    During the ~2 hour window of time, the attacking guild would bring trebuchets, catapults, battering rams, (etc) and themselves to the defending guild''s city; and attempt to reduce it to ashes. If enough damage is done (I'm thinkin like 75% buildings destroyed) then the attackers win; if less than that, the defenders win.

    If the attackers win, they would have several options: They could do nothing - which would return control of the damaged city to the defending guild. They could seize the city as their own, but would have to repair it from it's damaged state. They could leave the city in the defending guild's control, and give the defenders the option to join the attacker's alliance - if the defenders accept, they will be given the chance to repair their damaged city; if they decline, then they forfeit the city to the attacking guild.

    If the defenders win, the city will instantly return to 100% repair, and they will be given the opportunity to counter attack, and given a slight advantage over the original attackers.

    Any guild could ally with; or wage war against any guild. Faction (guardian / defiant) would have no bearing in these areas.


    Terraforming
    Players could alter the landscape itself! This would be a fairly time consuming and resource consuming action, again to encourage doing things as a group, and to discourage griefers from carving swearwords into the hillsides... or at least slow them from doing that so that a GM could step in and take the appropriate course of action to undo the damage.

    Anyway, players could smooth out the landscape, remove/add bits of land, add things like plant life, change the tarrain type (forest, dessert, snowy, etc... there would be some restrictions on land type based on location).... basically we'd have an in-game map editor, but using it would involve a lot of in-game actions (digging, for example).



    How's that sound for end game content?

    Please post your thoughts!!

    /salute!






    • This thread is the product of one that originally started with a discussion of applying certain concepts and mechanics from a game called "Shadowbane" to Rift. After 20+ pages of feedback, the OP in that thread no longer adequately represents the ideas that grew from it. Click here to view the original thread.

  2. #2
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    401

    Default

    Trion, make it so. Though I see no need for player terraforming, it would just require more development time and add very little.

  3. #3
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    401

    Default

    There is one issue with this though. This system of guild cities and siege warfare is best suited to a FFA ruleset. All Guardian guilds are not chummy pals, neither are all Defiants. In fact, if another Defiant guild put up a city in a location my guild wants, I'd be much more inclined to kill them then any Guardians.

    Implementing this in a 2-faction system is slightly flawed. However I'd still want to see it done. Perhaps more focus could be put on the faction vs faction aspect, and less on guild alliances. This is what I loved from SB, guild politics and alliances, but sadly, it doesn't fit perfectly into a 2-faction game.

  4. #4
    Plane Walker Haliaeetus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    447

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hateful View Post
    There is one issue with this though. This system of guild cities and siege warfare is best suited to a FFA ruleset. All Guardian guilds are not chummy pals, neither are all Defiants. In fact, if another Defiant guild put up a city in a location my guild wants, I'd be much more inclined to kill them then any Guardians.

    Implementing this in a 2-faction system is slightly flawed. However I'd still want to see it done. Perhaps more focus could be put on the faction vs faction aspect, and less on guild alliances. This is what I loved from SB, guild politics and alliances, but sadly, it doesn't fit perfectly into a 2-faction game.

    Actually hit on that in the OP:
    Any guild could ally with; or wage war against any guild. Faction (guardian / defiant) would have no bearing in these areas.


    ...it wouldn't quite be free for all, as you wouldn't be able to attack your own guild, or members of your alliance, but those would be the only restrictions.
    Looking for truly dynamic end game content? Looking for legendary PvP, RvR, and RP? Looking for not just player built housing; but entire towns, cities, and empires?
    Congratulations! You have earned +10 Bonus Points for reading between the lines!! ^_^
    ==> Look no further! <==

  5. #5
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haliaeetus View Post
    Actually hit on that in the OP:
    Any guild could ally with; or wage war against any guild. Faction (guardian / defiant) would have no bearing in these areas.


    ...it wouldn't quite be free for all, as you wouldn't be able to attack your own guild, or members of your alliance, but those would be the only restrictions.
    Yes, but this would not quite fit in with the rest of the game. "Blablabla Guardian/Defiant lore blablabla and then they discovered new lands and decided to dissolve their old alliances so that they could kill each other for no apparent reason".

    Personally I couldn't care less, a FFA continent could still be made to make sense lore wise. Somehow.

  6. #6
    Plane Walker Haliaeetus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    447

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hateful View Post
    Yes, but this would not quite fit in with the rest of the game. "Blablabla Guardian/Defiant lore blablabla and then they discovered new lands and decided to dissolve their old alliances so that they could kill each other for no apparent reason".

    Personally I couldn't care less, a FFA continent could still be made to make sense lore wise. Somehow.
    Most of the higher level leveling areas have towns that are shared by guardians and defiants. It seems to me that while tension between the two factions is high, they both understand when it's time to look past it for a greater cause; and form an alliance, albeit temporarily... anyway, lore has already crossed that line.
    Looking for truly dynamic end game content? Looking for legendary PvP, RvR, and RP? Looking for not just player built housing; but entire towns, cities, and empires?
    Congratulations! You have earned +10 Bonus Points for reading between the lines!! ^_^
    ==> Look no further! <==

  7. #7
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hateful View Post
    Yes, but this would not quite fit in with the rest of the game. "Blablabla Guardian/Defiant lore blablabla and then they discovered new lands and decided to dissolve their old alliances so that they could kill each other for no apparent reason".
    Well, Trion does control the lore.

    ... rifts in time caused by the Guardian/Defiant time travel unravelled the old alliances and forging new ones, blah, blah, blah... the gods reveal that their secret long-term plan was for Guardians and Defiants to unite which they did for a short time, but Regulos caused new divisions ....

  8. #8
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    8

    Default

    I signed on just to say fun idea, I support it :P

  9. #9
    Rift Disciple Zamrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    150

    Default Nice Thread

    I had a similar idea about a month ago. I got tired of trying to keep it alive in the General Forum though. Feel free to fish from it if you like, we seem to be thinking very similar ideas.

    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...e!-*Game-Idea*

    In short. Its Player built guild halls instances that are designed by players using a common layout and design tools, that are raidable and siegeable. Lots of customization involved to keep it interesting.

    I also hope to contribute to your thread.
    http://files1.guildlaunch.net/guild/library/gallery/36315/sig_mix653Mid.jpg

  10. #10
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    18

    Default Great Idea :D

    This is a great idea and i love it! (I love making stuff\modeling) but I think the Terraforming idea is going too far (Personally I'd love it, since I'd make some pretty badass stuff). I'm sure there are a bunch of people that would love to mess up someone else's masterpiece making them furious, or writing swear words like you said, or lowering the floor so far that it would crash the game (Obviously could be fixed with limitations on how high/low you can edit) and other people would try to make everything messed up, beyond the point of fixing. Then there's also the fact that people will be inexperienced and might make a big hole that you can't get out of, or making a road from a zone to another just to be able to get through there easier, or raising a platform that they're standing on, and shooting people from up there and the other players can't get up there.

    Apart from that, the other two idea's would be very cool! I'd love to construct a whole city with my guild, next to another guild (Vendetta >.>) and then fighting them Would make this a one-of-a-kind game

  11. #11
    Rift Disciple Zamrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flazze View Post
    This is a great idea and i love it! (I love making stuff\modeling) but I think the Terraforming idea is going too far (Personally I'd love it, since I'd make some pretty badass stuff). I'm sure there are a bunch of people that would love to mess up someone else's masterpiece making them furious, or writing swear words like you said, or lowering the floor so far that it would crash the game (Obviously could be fixed with limitations on how high/low you can edit) and other people would try to make everything messed up, beyond the point of fixing. Then there's also the fact that people will be inexperienced and might make a big hole that you can't get out of, or making a road from a zone to another just to be able to get through there easier, or raising a platform that they're standing on, and shooting people from up there and the other players can't get up there.

    Apart from that, the other two idea's would be very cool! I'd love to construct a whole city with my guild, next to another guild (Vendetta >.>) and then fighting them Would make this a one-of-a-kind game
    I thought about that too in my own thread. The Idea I had was adopted from Spore. (seriously) That would be a Complexity Meter. A meter that woud scale to the amount of changes/additions/removals you are trying to make to a particular area. That way you cannot drastically change the terrian several times over in a particular part of the map (Like Pit Traps or Fox Holes) or put too many static objects into a particular area to create artifical bottlenecks or walls (Like shrubbery with infinite height, or vanity statue/objects staggered so that the player can't easily mitigate between or around them.)

    That way to make changes to particular tiles on the map grid, like making a pit, you would have to change the height of the tiles of the surrounding tiles as well (ie, making a slope instead of a cliff, are a shoreline on a body of water) Now, I would like to have Cliffs and things as well, but you would have to make a reasonable way to surmount those cliffs as well. (A scalled cliffface, as opposed to a sheer face)
    http://files1.guildlaunch.net/guild/library/gallery/36315/sig_mix653Mid.jpg

  12. #12
    Plane Touched Rhinoplat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    258

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haliaeetus View Post
    Actually hit on that in the OP:
    Any guild could ally with; or wage war against any guild. Faction (guardian / defiant) would have no bearing in these areas.


    ...it wouldn't quite be free for all, as you wouldn't be able to attack your own guild, or members of your alliance, but those would be the only restrictions.
    Kind of like 0.0 space in EvE. It didn't matter what race you were, just that you all flew under the same alliance banner.

    I like FFA guild warfare and the OPs suggestions get my votes.

    Devs please listen to his suggestion he has put more thought into a game mechanic and laid out many details than a lot of other "I want" suggestions. The community is asking for some type of modified PvP and this would be a great idea to get you started.

    New land masses, different resources, NOT BETTER, just different. Maybe the different resources gave resistances instead of a primary stat boost. There are some many ways to make it work. It could be a crafters paradise being able to make custom gear for PvPers; and it wouldn't hurt the raiders with their dungeon drops.

    I'll have more to say but I need to fully digest the OP first. Good job on the write up.
    The best End Game is always player created and never dev scripted

  13. #13

  14. #14
    Plane Touched Rhinoplat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    258

    Default

    How do we know that this is the only continent?

    I like playing MMORPGs for the fantasy they bring so I don't want to ruin the Lore, but I do think we can work within the Lore to expand our playing fields.

    Question for the OP - would you make it a after 50 continent? I would be ok with that as long as we can allow lower levels to access the continent. Also there should be places where lower level players (after level 10) can go to just grind mobs for money resources etc. These areas could be spread out, and then it would be a point of conflict for being able to build a castle near certian resources points. Region A has great cloth, but Region B has good metals. It could also be a means of trade between guilds (for the cooperative type) or a means of war.
    The best End Game is always player created and never dev scripted

  15. #15
    Plane Walker Haliaeetus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    447

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhinoplat View Post
    Question for the OP - would you make it a after 50 continent? I would be ok with that as long as we can allow lower levels to access the continent. Also there should be places where lower level players (after level 10) can go to just grind mobs for money resources etc. These areas could be spread out, and then it would be a point of conflict for being able to build a castle near certian resources points. Region A has great cloth, but Region B has good metals. It could also be a means of trade between guilds (for the cooperative type) or a means of war.
    I'd say that's more a question to everyone than me personally. I would prefer the new continents to all be max level... It's a common thing in an mmo for pre-max level zones to get a surge of activity when they are first available; but quickly die down to the point of being unused shortly after. I think that this would be a waste if it happened in the 'sandbox' zones. The number of max level players will always be increasing; while the number of pre-max level chars will not.

    In fact, if there's ever an x-pac that increases the level cap, the level of the npc's in 'sandbox' zones should scale up to reflect it.

    Again, this is all just my personal opinion on it. To anyone and everyone reading this, please share your thoughts on it.
    Looking for truly dynamic end game content? Looking for legendary PvP, RvR, and RP? Looking for not just player built housing; but entire towns, cities, and empires?
    Congratulations! You have earned +10 Bonus Points for reading between the lines!! ^_^
    ==> Look no further! <==

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts