+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: High level players should not be allowed to interact with low level rifts

Default High level players should not be allowed to interact with low level rifts

The last few days my girlfriend and I have been getting screwed on the rifts in freemarch. Every time we go to one there is a level 49 or 50 there who facerolls through the rift. To make matters worse they don't even join the public group so no one else gets any credit for participating in the rift. I'm a very tolerant person but this is beyond infuriating.

My suggestion is, if a player is more than say 5 or 10 levels above the rift level than the mobs won't aggro them and they cannot attack the rift mobs. This would, for the most part, solve this issue. Normally I would just ignore something like this but I am sick of being screwed out of participating in the rifts.

There are achievements tied to zones with Rifts, IF they made this possible then they would have to make level 50 ones spawn in the lowbie zones which will be more of a ruin to your experience. Perhaps if you ask them nicely to move on they may.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Jwright771984 View Post
    My suggestion is, if a player is more than say 5 or 10 levels above the rift level than the mobs won't aggro them and they cannot attack the rift mobs. This would, for the most part, solve this issue. Normally I would just ignore something like this but I am sick of being screwed out of participating in the rifts.
    There is this annoying quest that sends you to Freemarch to close Death Rifts. Yeah, I know. I should have done it on-level; but there were so few Rifts open and I was busy following quests, doing some PvP and running a few instances with Guildies. Then I glanced through my quest journal and see it is now a gray quest to me.

You don't want me to be able to complete them? Why not?

Well those are just a few more things that should be changed then. All I know is that because of high levels I keep getting screwed on participating in rifts in my own level range. Something certainly needs to be done.

Unfortunately the majority of high levels I've seen in Freemarch are not courteous to the low levels when it comes to rifts. IF, and that's a big IF, they could stand back and heal, buff, debuff, etc, there wouldn't be this issue. But since there is this issue, I don't feel that the lower level characters who are just trying to experience content meant for their level are the ones who should suffer. If you don't complete your storyline quests before you're leveled completely out of the zone, well, too bad. Maybe Trion needs to change that quest so the rifts don't have to be completed in Freemarch. As for achievements, I'm not aware of any achievements that require level 50's to participate in low level rifts. Participate in killing invasion bosses, sure, but not the rifts. I think 10 levels would be an adequate buffer, after which you should no longer be able to aggressively target rift and invasion mobs.

What about the achieve that needs freemarch artifacts that drop from them? the achievement that requires SPECIFICALY free march rifts to be defeated, and they have to be of diffrent titles too.

How about the fact that you dont get credit if your grouped with them anyways? credit is achieved by what you contribute to the rifts defeat. Not going to stand there watching you guys wipe on rifts when I need to get it done and over with so you can get level 15 green drops you'll toss in a hour. Honestly the free march rifts are the low part of the Rifts experience, get to granite falls, thats where it gets fun.

I dont know what everyone else is doing with the low level ones other than the above, i sometimes kill them for planar charges, blame trion, medic and the guild res using all 3 means i need to refill about once a day.
    THE TRANSITION TO REAL LIFE
    PVP:I joined the military to snipe some punks but everyone cries too much when i team kill.>_<
    PVE:so I decided to go hunting, which was pretty fun till i accidentally right clicked a critter, freaking little girl wouldn't stop crying about her cat.
    Crafting:bug report: fix the wood nodes! they aren't sparkly so i cant find them!

Rift Disciple

I sometimes roll through the low areas. My group is always open and I don't loot anything. The low levels following me around do very well out of my contribution.

I love how the blame is always quickly shifted to Trion. Yes, the game's designed in such a way that you get equal benefit in the starter zone as level 50 zones, but that doesn't absolve you of personal responsibility in terms of your actions. YOU chose to refill your planar charges, grind rep, complete guild quests, whatever in the starter zone. You just wanted it quick and easy, at least admit to that much.

Don't fool yourself. If you're one of those 50s that gathers up all the rift mobs and one shots them with an AoE I've got news for you, everyone else got little to no contribution for that. Typically at rifts that 50s are steamrolling I'm lucky to walk away with 2 planarite and nothing else. You try building up contribution when everything's dead within one GCD, it doesn't work.

Plus, saying people in the starting zones should simply move on is incredibly selfish. Players should be denied what essentially amounts to 15 levels of content because you can't be arsed to do anything that requires more than stepping outside the gates of Sanctum/Meridian and killing things 35+ levels below you? The starting zone should NOT be meant to be the 50s farming grounds. The fact that's what it's become is a huge design flaw.

If i happen to be going through the area, and see an Open Rift with nobody around i'll go do it. I don't do the Private Group thing so if anyone wants to join they can. If i see some low level players doing a Rift, i just keep going so i'm messing things up.
    Last edited by Lothar; 04-21-2011 at 11:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by snekadid View Post
    What about the achieve that needs freemarch artifacts that drop from them? the achievement that requires SPECIFICALY free march rifts to be defeated, and they have to be of diffrent titles too.

How about the fact that you dont get credit if your grouped with them anyways? credit is achieved by what you contribute to the rifts defeat. Not going to stand there watching you guys wipe on rifts when I need to get it done and over with so you can get level 15 green drops you'll toss in a hour. Honestly the free march rifts are the low part of the Rifts experience, get to granite falls, thats where it gets fun.

I dont know what everyone else is doing with the low level ones other than the above, i sometimes kill them for planar charges, blame trion, medic and the guild res using all 3 means i need to refill about once a day.
    Didn't get your rift artifact set when you leveled thru the zone? Then buy them on the AH. Or if you are referring to the zone invasion achievements, you don't need to even touch a rift for that. Help kill the final boss, that's cool, they have so much health that a few 50's aren't going to ruin it for the lowbies.

And no, I can not get rift contribution when a 50 one-shots everything before I can get a cast off. At least if they grouped with me I'd get the exp tho. Besides, who are you to say that the content INTENDED for us is worthless and we should just move on?

This is the kind of arrogance that just cooks my goose. There are many high levels out there that do care, and try to stand back and not interfere with the low level experience. Unfortunately most of them have your attitude of 'nothing matters except me'. There are ways provided for you to do almost everything via rifts of your own level. For the few achieves and collections that don't, well, maybe you should do them when it's level appropriate, or at least find a way to minimize your interference with the lowbie's experience. Because until you do, I'm going to push for Trion to simply prevent you from interfering.

Instead of cutting off low level rifts:
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...=1#post2201200

Quote Originally Posted by Cikala View Post
    Didn't get your rift artifact set when you leveled thru the zone? Then buy them on the AH. Or if you are referring to the zone invasion achievements, you don't need to even touch a rift for that. Help kill the final boss, that's cool, they have so much health that a few 50's aren't going to ruin it for the lowbies.

And no, I can not get rift contribution when a 50 one-shots everything before I can get a cast off. At least if they grouped with me I'd get the exp tho. Besides, who are you to say that the content INTENDED for us is worthless and we should just move on?

This is the kind of arrogance that just cooks my goose. There are many high levels out there that do care, and try to stand back and not interfere with the low level experience. Unfortunately most of them have your attitude of 'nothing matters except me'. There are ways provided for you to do almost everything via rifts of your own level. For the few achieves and collections that don't, well, maybe you should do them when it's level appropriate, or at least find a way to minimize your interference with the lowbie's experience. Because until you do, I'm going to push for Trion to simply prevent you from interfering.
    Look through the achievements before spouting nonsense, there are achievements for closing zone specific rifts. There are quest chains that you need to do to get some of the best weapons in the game that requires you to close rifts in certain zones before you can move on to the higher level versions, and this quest was skipped by most when they were the appropriate level because at that point it was specific rifts that needed closing + you needed the tag on the stage 5 boss instead of just closing 8(?) rifts (might be major rifts only, can't remember). So now they are trying to finish up that quest so they can get some of the nice lvl 50 rewards. You'll see the same thing in Scarlet, high levels running around doing death rifts because they need it for the quest (though that one has much more lax requirements so it's quickly and easily done so it has a minimal impact on lower level chars)
    -The Unnamed- Defiant
    Vayra - Mage
    Forkrul - Cleric
    Kalyth - FOTM warrior in training, 5k pvp kills at lvl 28

Rift Master

When I leveled through Silverwood the first time it was insane, there was always a Rift to do. Now when I level through it on alts it feels empty and desolate, and anytime I find a Rift its being insta-closed by a 50 wanting charges or getting other souls or (during the event) gathering Otherworldly Sourcestone.

I do agree, Rifts should be level-specific, just make it so that you don't receive planar charge if you aren't within 10ish levels of a Rift and you shouldn't get Corrupted Souls or Event Items. However you should still gain Collection Items from Invaders of lower level and you should be able to help with lower Rifts. It just shouldn't count towards those things.

As I level 50, I know I'm guilty of this truthfully, I think we all are at some point, and truthfully we should preserve the lower level experience for the lower levels not hinder it.

Banned

Level 50s dont screw up low level contribution anymore because players are no longer competing against each other for contribution in rifts.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Vindicit View Post
    Level 50s dont screw up low level contribution anymore because players are no longer competing against each other for contribution in rifts.
    Contribution still exists, the bars just aren't around for us to game the system anymore lol

But what we screw up is the spawning of Rifts. By coming in and clearing out 3-4 of them we're making the lowbies wait for them to respawn before they can do them. Truthfully without Rifts I wouldn't have played the game past Silverwood so I can understand the frustration.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast