+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Number of Roles

Default Number of Roles

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be one of the few to state this, but I frankly don't want to see a fifth role option. Four roles is already too many as it pretty much makes dungeons easy. The dungeons are already super easy because of the ability to change roles, and four is plenty. What's a fifth going to give besides just another spec that probably will hardly get used.

As a rogue, I have a tank, bard, ranged and solo role now. That's already enough to do everything. I'm not arguing that having a fifth is going to limit me, but it pretty much seals the deal that I will never need to create a rogue alt. It's almost like allowing the players to get all of the professions at the same time. It's killing the replay value.

I've essentially leveled four 50s right now by having four roles. This will be inherently create another 50 for me automatically. This is also going to hurt any new 50 players as there's now pretty much no reason to recruit them. I've got 20 members in my guild that are 50 and there's hardly a reason to recruit anyone. There's no shortage of tanks or healers because two classes can tank and three can heal. You force no one to be selective in what they want to do so there's never a challenge to create a specific group.

I'm sure that others want the 5th role and to be honest, it's great that I'll have another option to play with. But I honestly think it's going to hurt the game and the desire for people to make alts and have replay value. Thus, no one is going to be doing the level 1-49 content at all.
    It is only the dead who have seen the end of war. - Plato

I will have to disagree with you. As a rogue I am currently using all four soul slots, tank, ranged, melee, and bard. I would like to have one specifically for pvp without tweeking my melee soul each time.

I understand your arguement of there might not be as much population to play with while new players level up, I just am not sure how to come up with a way around it right now as I want this change. In WoW I was so sick of leveling up all 8 of my chars. With this I can do my 3 souls, (not interested at all in mage) and do anything I want with no worry of being bored sitting in town waiting for someone to pick me up for a group.

Again I get your concerns, but how can it be solved. When on my rogue I am very happy I have options otherwise there would be no hope in finding groups since there are just way to many out there. Luckily there is a shortage of tanks for me.

I could do with 2 and that would be enough. We don't need plat, so it's not a big deal to use plat to respec at 50.
    The best End Game is always player created and never dev scripted

From what I've read on the test server, a 5th role may be coming - for 100 platinum.

Rift Disciple

You know what, you don't have to buy even one extra role if you don't need it, so what are you talking about?

As a mage I would really like that 5th slot. That way I can finally get my healer, solo quest farm, aoe pve, st pve my pvp soul instead of having to combine st and aoe pve in the same role.

More choices == good. This will also be a godsend for clerics since they have 3 primary roles to fill (4 if you count melee/range dps seperately) so they can have 1 more slot to make alternate or experimental builds while keeping dps, tanking and healing roles ready.
    -The Unnamed- Defiant
    Vayra - Mage
    Forkrul - Cleric
    Kalyth - FOTM warrior in training, 5k pvp kills at lvl 28

Soulwalker

I think 4 roles is enough either way. If they add more that's fine, but they don't need to. I base my specs off of a couple things:

1. A spec to quest or grind easily.
    2. A tanking/healing spec in case a group needs a tank.
    3. Whatever I want to try out.
    4. Whatever I want to try out.

Plus it's no big deal because changing your roles costs... A WHOPPING 50g! Trion has made it super easy to experiment with your specs with low penalties.

Telaran

Here are my roles, on my rogue: Bard, Tank, RDPS, MDPS

I use them all quite often, sometimes all four in the same dungeon. This leaves me no room for a PvP role, which makes me sad.

Please give us a fifth role!

+ Reply to Thread