+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: RvR - Suggestion

  1. #1
    Rift Chaser Drizzt of the Underdark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    388

    Default RvR - Suggestion



    Trion mentioned they would implement RvR for us if we asked for it. Well I have seen hundreds of threads regarding this, and never have I seen one in the Suggestions forum. So I am starting a new one.

    Trion you said we could have it, is there any plans on giving us that which we desire?

    Your world PvP system is lacking, not really any point in just killing some random player just because... Sure random fights can be fun, but they get old after a while. And warfronts can get a bit old as well, in fact they were already rather stale prior to launch considering they already existed in other games for many years.

    You are currently running 46% of your shards as PvP shards. I think we make up a substantial portion of the player base and our requests/concerns are viable.

    Please give us RvR?

    Some ideas:
    1) Siege-able guild towers/castles - with upgradable defense weapons, keep bosses, guards. Customizable guild banners, scenery, fluff, etc..
    2) Controllable zones that generate random zone events, bosses, invasions, etc trigger-able by either majority zone control or by points generated by zone control.
    3) Siege weapons that are movable, constructible, and destructible. Perhaps an engineering professon allowing players to craft mechanical weapons/mounts to be used in RvR combat.
    4) Alliances between guilds that could be use to better communicate invasions/sieges/recourse management.
    5) PvE vs RvR, perhaps when one faction becomes too powerful in RvR have the opposing factions PvE NPC's lead a charge into the zones to help the losing faction out a bit for fun.


    Also: before you tell me to comment on one of the many other threads regarding this, there is no RvR posts in the suggestions forum and because there is no RvR in game currently, placing this in PvP/Warfronts seemed inappropriate.
    Last edited by Drizzt of the Underdark; 04-21-2011 at 02:03 PM.
    When I get sad, I stop being sad, and be awesome instead. ~ Barney Stinson

  2. #2
    Plane Touched Rhinoplat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    258

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drizzt of the Underdark View Post


    Trion mentioned they would implement RvR for us if we asked for it. Well I have seen hundreds of threads regarding this, and never have I seen one in the Suggestions forum. So I am starting a new one.

    Trion you said we could have it, is there any plans on giving us that which we desire?

    Your world PvP system is lacking, not really any point in just killing some random player just because... Sure random fights can be fun, but they get old after a while. And warfronts can get a bit old as well, in fact they were already rather stale prior to launch considering they already existed in other games for many years.

    You are currently running 46% of your shards as PvP shards. I think we make up a substantial portion of the player base and our requests/concerns are viable.

    Please give us RvR?

    Some ideas:
    1) Siege-able guild towers/castles - with upgradable defense weapons, keep bosses, guards. Customizable guild banners, scenery, fluff, etc..
    2) Controllable zones that generate random zone events, bosses, invasions, etc trigger-able by either majority zone control or by points generated by zone control.
    3) Siege weapons that are movable, constructible, and destructible. Perhaps an engineering professon allowing players to craft mechanical weapons/mounts to be used in RvR combat.
    4) Alliances between guilds that could be use to better communicate invasions/sieges/recourse management.
    5) PvE vs RvR, perhaps when one faction becomes too powerful in RvR have the opposing factions PvE NPC's lead a charge into the zones to help the losing faction out a bit for fun.


    Also: before you tell me to comment on one of the many other threads regarding this, there is no RvR posts in the suggestions forum and because there is no RvR in game currently, placing this in PvP/Warfronts seemed inappropriate.
    I would be all for sieging. However it needs more than 2 factions in order to work, so you really need guild vs guild. Then if it's truly going to be guild vs guild you need to have friendly fire between same faction guilds. Implement those small tweaks and I support your idea.
    The best End Game is always player created and never dev scripted

  3. #3
    Rift Chaser ControlBlue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    333

    Default

    The thing is, they already have the base for a really great RvR in this game present:

    - The whole invasion system!

    They just need to make it more Defiant/"God Crazies" oriented, with reward if players can push an invasion far enough into enemies territory up to the enemy capital/starting zone, and automatic pvp tag when you help push aninvasion further. And done. You have something that will fuel people enemity for years!! No other MMO will be able to implement something like that, it will be something truly unique to Rift!
    Last edited by ControlBlue; 04-21-2011 at 06:08 PM.
    ============ The Bard Soul Need A Total Rework! ============
    How to Make Bards More Fun! - Active Motifs vs. Passive Motifs.
    Bards Mechanics, Why They Are Lame - A Featured article on Rift Junkie discussing the Bard.
    The Bard as Pure Support - A 25+ page Thread on the role of Support and how it hold back Bards.
    Support/DPS Bard Prototype Soul - A prototype good Bard that would belong in the Rogue calling.

    A GOOD Saboteur Prototype Soul Tree! - No need for Nerfs!!

  4. #4
    Plane Walker Haliaeetus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    447

    Default

    Check out the thread linked in my sig - it's basically about the same thing this thread is asking for, but it's gotten a lot of feedback to go with it. Unfortunately it was created before the suggestions forum was, so it's currently floating in the general forum... hopefully that will change soon, since a general forum on pretty much any website is the closest thing the internet has to a sewer...
    Looking for truly dynamic end game content? Looking for legendary PvP, RvR, and RP? Looking for not just player built housing; but entire towns, cities, and empires?
    Congratulations! You have earned +10 Bonus Points for reading between the lines!! ^_^
    ==> Look no further! <==

  5. #5
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    154

    Default

    I agree, this has been discussed considerably in Beta and throughout. I also like the shadowbane aspect as I posted here:

    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...dia-of-desires


    Shadowbane had a fair bit of issues and lacked in every other aspect, but this was one thing they did extremely well. I really do not care how they set it up, but it is one of the easiest methods to create highly dynamic content that is very engaging. RVR zones do not alienate casual non pvp players so there really is no impediment to this as far as players should be concerned. I personally believe it would take this game to the next level and i would be extremely happy. I know some players in my guild, especially those who did not like WOW, are not having a great time with Rift because they always desire what DAOC had to offer. My fingers are crossed...

  6. #6
    Rift Chaser Drizzt of the Underdark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    388

    Default

    I realize there at one time was a RvR thread that was very long, I tried finding it however the search tool has a minimun character requirement, simply typing "RvR" into the search bar gives you an error message.

    I searched for about 10-15 minutes and then figured I would create a new one in the suggestions area because thier has been no threads created here regarding RvR to date.

    I do like the seige-able keeps/castles/towns idea. Sure it would require a new zone/continent, but the great thing about the way Trion laid out the map gives them great flexibility. Currently they are showing one island or continent of the world, creating a new continent would be very easy to do Lore-wise.

    If anything RvR is something they said they could give us if we wanted it, and the majority of the players have been asking for it. So I think Trion should make an announcement regarding this, do they have plans to do it or not?

    I read somewhere they have whiteboards upon whiteboards filled with ideas they want to consider implementing into Rift in the future. My hope is that RvR is high on that list. If done properly it could be awesome.

    Lastly, I heard that blizzard was considering adding new RvR. If they do add RvR, my bet would be that Trion would want to do the same.
    When I get sad, I stop being sad, and be awesome instead. ~ Barney Stinson

  7. #7
    Rift Disciple Zombieking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    100

    Default I posted this somewhere else thought it be worth mentioning here. :)

    Indeed they need to shell out a world pvp RVR objective type of zone to get lvl 50s smashing there face in.

    this is completely out of my *** right now but how about...
    Alsbeth fortress( temporary rvr type band-aid)

    -open zone with 6 points of interest (only need to capture 3 to open fortress capture) and 1 main fortress (main objective)

    -Zones gives daily quest of kill X players, Take X points, Capture fortress etc.

    -In this area only killing players will give u "blood money" or loot from dead players that can be used as currency for vendors here

    -Being Alsbeth fortress, the point of interest can be weapon smith, war camp etc, with there own mini boss, downing mini boss grants capture + Zone currency.

    -The main attraction would be the fortress with the 3 lvls to them (think WAR fortress type of set up) with a Minni boss in each lvl (add some kinda dynamic to the last boss)

    - yay captured the fortress, now what? well Alsbeth won't be too happy and so opens the last reset button to the zone, which is a raid rift and the countdown starts. last objective it to hold out this rift invasion till your factions champions shows up to kick ***. this will not be easy as time gets closer to 0 the mobs will get seriously twisted :P(think SC2 hold area). at end you champ comes kicks some *** and your faction gains Buff and your raid gains loot.

    - now will there be a reset? or timer? or do u keep it until the other faction comes? idk. thats kinda of a toss up and my lunch breaks almost over.

  8. #8
    Rift Chaser Drizzt of the Underdark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zombieking View Post
    Indeed they need to shell out a world pvp RVR objective type of zone to get lvl 50s smashing there face in.

    this is completely out of my *** right now but how about...
    Alsbeth fortress( temporary rvr type band-aid)

    -open zone with 6 points of interest (only need to capture 3 to open fortress capture) and 1 main fortress (main objective)

    -Zones gives daily quest of kill X players, Take X points, Capture fortress etc.

    -In this area only killing players will give u "blood money" or loot from dead players that can be used as currency for vendors here

    -Being Alsbeth fortress, the point of interest can be weapon smith, war camp etc, with there own mini boss, downing mini boss grants capture + Zone currency.

    -The main attraction would be the fortress with the 3 lvls to them (think WAR fortress type of set up) with a Minni boss in each lvl (add some kinda dynamic to the last boss)

    - yay captured the fortress, now what? well Alsbeth won't be too happy and so opens the last reset button to the zone, which is a raid rift and the countdown starts. last objective it to hold out this rift invasion till your factions champions shows up to kick ***. this will not be easy as time gets closer to 0 the mobs will get seriously twisted :P(think SC2 hold area). at end you champ comes kicks some *** and your faction gains Buff and your raid gains loot.

    - now will there be a reset? or timer? or do u keep it until the other faction comes? idk. thats kinda of a toss up and my lunch breaks almost over.
    I really like this idea.

    As long as no PvE dungeons are rewarded for the efforts I would love to see this implemented. Once you start giving PvE content as a reward for PvP/RvR gameplay you will have a ton of PvE'rs up in arms about it. In my opinion the only kid of PvE content that would make sense is exactly what you described, Rifts/Raid Rifts or world bosses/keep bosses that are coming back to defend the castles/keeps/camps that one faction just attacked.

    PvE'rs should'nt care about this type of PvE anyway, because it already exists in port scion. And most definately any rewards/gear or unlockables should be PvP/RvR oriented ONLY. Any gear you get should be similar to PvP gear with stats that you would benefit from in PvP/RvR and definitely not in PvE. Also any buffs you would get from the zone objectives should only apply to the players participating in RvR. For instance, once you step into an RvR zone you are flagged for RvR and any applicable buffs would now be added to you.

    Apply some basic rules to not anger PvE players and Trion would have a winning forumula with RvR.

    And I would like to add that I think RvR could be successfully done without a 3 faction system.
    Last edited by Drizzt of the Underdark; 04-22-2011 at 11:02 AM.
    When I get sad, I stop being sad, and be awesome instead. ~ Barney Stinson

  9. #9
    Telaran Remeer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    93

    Default

    It's been said before, and I'm going to chime in and say again.

    If Rift had a 3rd Faction, I would be all for and wanting RvR, until then, no 3rd Faction, no way decent RvR is going to happen.

    Murphy was an Optimist

  10. #10
    Plane Touched Rhinoplat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    258

    Default

    Instead of faction vs faction we need guilds vs. guilds. There are many more guilds on each server than the 2 scripted factions. By allowing guilds to war one another you instantly create multi faceted PvP.

    The next step is to add the sieging. on PvP servers that would be any zone outside of Freemarch and the Guardian starting zone; to include Meridian and Sanctum.

    I need an actual guild to fight for, and help improve their mark on the world of Telara. Sieging was a blast in Shadowbane.

    Trion just make Shadowbane 2.0 - I know you can do it.
    The best End Game is always player created and never dev scripted

  11. #11
    Rift Disciple Zombieking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drizzt of the Underdark View Post
    I really like this idea.

    As long as no PvE dungeons are rewarded for the efforts I would love to see this implemented. Once you start giving PvE content as a reward for PvP/RvR gameplay you will have a ton of PvE'rs up in arms about it. In my opinion the only kid of PvE content that would make sense is exactly what you described, Rifts/Raid Rifts or world bosses/keep bosses that are coming back to defend the castles/keeps/camps that one faction just attacked.

    PvE'rs should'nt care about this type of PvE anyway, because it already exists in port scion. And most definately any rewards/gear or unlockables should be PvP/RvR oriented ONLY. Any gear you get should be similar to PvP gear with stats that you would benefit from in PvP/RvR and definitely not in PvE. Also any buffs you would get from the zone objectives should only apply to the players participating in RvR. For instance, once you step into an RvR zone you are flagged for RvR and any applicable buffs would now be added to you.

    Apply some basic rules to not anger PvE players and Trion would have a winning forumula with RvR.

    And I would like to add that I think RvR could be successfully done without a 3 faction system.
    agreed this would just be a PVP/RVR hence pvp type gear would be purchasable here, no pve dungeons or anything like that given. On the buff aspect, i would like all players of the faction to know your triumphs so if you are able to capture this fortress your faction gets a buff(ex something like 10% to all stats). this also makes it worthwhile for your faction to win these. The reason i added the mix of npc and story is to incite the pve'r to join in but it in no way impacts your pve progression.

  12. #12
    Rift Disciple Zombieking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhinoplat View Post
    Instead of faction vs faction we need guilds vs. guilds. There are many more guilds on each server than the 2 scripted factions. By allowing guilds to war one another you instantly create multi faceted PvP.

    The next step is to add the sieging. on PvP servers that would be any zone outside of Freemarch and the Guardian starting zone; to include Meridian and Sanctum.

    I need an actual guild to fight for, and help improve their mark on the world of Telara. Sieging was a blast in Shadowbane.

    Trion just make Shadowbane 2.0 - I know you can do it.
    this could be fun as long as u can turn off pvping, what if u just wanna gather or quest for a bit. besides looking behind your back for the other faction u have to be wary of other guilds.

  13. #13
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Honored Circle
    Posts
    1,603

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drizzt of the Underdark View Post


    Trion mentioned they would implement RvR for us if we asked for it. Well I have seen hundreds of threads regarding this, and never have I seen one in the Suggestions forum. So I am starting a new one.

    Trion you said we could have it, is there any plans on giving us that which we desire?

    Your world PvP system is lacking, not really any point in just killing some random player just because... Sure random fights can be fun, but they get old after a while. And warfronts can get a bit old as well, in fact they were already rather stale prior to launch considering they already existed in other games for many years.

    You are currently running 46% of your shards as PvP shards. I think we make up a substantial portion of the player base and our requests/concerns are viable.

    Please give us RvR?

    Some ideas:
    1) Siege-able guild towers/castles - with upgradable defense weapons, keep bosses, guards. Customizable guild banners, scenery, fluff, etc..
    2) Controllable zones that generate random zone events, bosses, invasions, etc trigger-able by either majority zone control or by points generated by zone control.
    3) Siege weapons that are movable, constructible, and destructible. Perhaps an engineering professon allowing players to craft mechanical weapons/mounts to be used in RvR combat.
    4) Alliances between guilds that could be use to better communicate invasions/sieges/recourse management.
    5) PvE vs RvR, perhaps when one faction becomes too powerful in RvR have the opposing factions PvE NPC's lead a charge into the zones to help the losing faction out a bit for fun.


    Also: before you tell me to comment on one of the many other threads regarding this, there is no RvR posts in the suggestions forum and because there is no RvR in game currently, placing this in PvP/Warfronts seemed inappropriate.
    Thanks for keeping the conversation about RvR alive. I hope it stays at the forefront of topics for the devs to consider.

    I like your suggestions, but they are pretty detailed. For me, I'd like to just rely on Trion to come up with something neat following three guidelines.

    - give players something to attack and defend.
    - separate the fighting from those that are involved in PvE.
    - allow for multiple play styles..ie (group vs group, solo, armies)

  14. #14
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2

    Default

    +1.

    Use the "rift mechanism" to balance things out if a side is dominating.

  15. #15
    Rift Chaser Drizzt of the Underdark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Remeer View Post
    It's been said before, and I'm going to chime in and say again.

    If Rift had a 3rd Faction, I would be all for and wanting RvR, until then, no 3rd Faction, no way decent RvR is going to happen.
    I have heard many argumets for a 3 faction RVR system and I still fail tos ee any valid gamebreaking points in a 2 faction RvR system.

    I think a 2 faction system could work fine if done properly.
    When I get sad, I stop being sad, and be awesome instead. ~ Barney Stinson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts