+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Create Remote Mini Rift Games via Smartphone Apps

Default Create Remote Mini Rift Games via Smartphone Apps

One of the next phases that I see the really smart MMO producers do is learn how to tie the game experience in ways that also break away but also still connect to the PC experience . With the advent of newer more sophisticated phone OSs and mobile broadband becoming more and more practical and available to everyone.. why not create some type of mini Rift games that you can play on your Android or iPhone that also help develop your online character?

I'm not at all suggesting that you would try to play Rift or an iteration of the game on your SmartPhone but instead mini Rift games that would allow you to play mini games where by you could earn small increments of exp, money and other Rift goodies.

Who knows... charge an additional $4.99/month for this Rift Premium service

Example:
    - Log in via your SmartPhone... pick one of your characters and then choose which mini game you want. (games last from as short as 15mins to as long as 30 mins)
    - Touch screen Rift 2D/3D hack-n-slash Maze escape. Looks something along the lines of the older arcade game Gauntlet but instead the plot is that you are trying to escape and close a Rift.
    - GPS Real life Rift Closing - Using your Phone's GPS and Google Maps... locate where Rifts are currently opening up in Real Life and visits these areas to close them to get special plus ups. (Trion you should work with national retailers and get them to pay you guys for sending them qualified store traffic... ie.. gamers visit their local Best Buy and get some special award ie..exp,money, item.. and Best Buy gets traffic in the doors.)

I'm sure there are many other types of games that could be created with loads of potential for bringing a flavor of the game to Mobile devices.

Thoughts/comments?
    Last edited by Seumas; 04-21-2011 at 12:29 PM.
    Seumas Blackmoor

Sez

Great forward thinking, but I think their resources are tied into "fixing" things and releasing new content in game.
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

Quote Originally Posted by Seumas View Post
    One of the next phases that I see the really smart MMO producers do is learn how to tie the game experience in ways that also break away but also still connect to the PC experience . With the advent of newer more sophisticated phone OSs and mobile broadband becoming more and more practical and available to everyone.. why not create some type of mini Rift games that you can play on your Android or iPhone that also help develop your online character?

I'm not at all suggesting that you would try to play Rift or an iteration of the game on your SmartPhone but instead mini Rift games that would allow you to play mini games where by you could earn small increments of exp, money and other Rift goodies.

Who knows... charge an additional $4.99/month for this Rift Premium service

Example:
    - Log in via your SmartPhone... pick one of your characters and then choose which mini game you want. (games last from as short as 15mins to as long as 30 mins)
    - Touch screen Rift 2D/3D hack-n-slash Maze escape. Looks something along the lines of the older arcade game Gauntlet but instead the plot is that you are trying to escape and close a Rift.
    - GPS Real life Rift Closing - Using your Phone's GPS and Google Maps... locate where Rifts are currently opening up in Real Life and visits these areas to close them to get special plus ups. (Trion you should work with national retailers and get them to pay you guys for sending them qualified store traffic... ie.. gamers visit their local Best Buy and get some special award ie..exp,money, item.. and Best Buy gets traffic in the doors.)

I'm sure there are many other types of games that could be created with loads of potential for bringing a flavor of the game to Mobile devices.

Thoughts/comments?
    Honestly It would depend heavily on the rewards for me.

If it is something like XP or plat in game rewards then I would not be for it. It makes leveling and money acquisition too easy and allows "playing" outside the game with 0 interaction in an MMO. Also people who didn't have smart phones (no, really, not everyone does) would be put at a disadvantage because of this.

That said, If it was just temporary buff items, fluff gear, or something non-ingame then it would be ok
    * Iím trapped under a huge pile of patch notes! Send help!
    * Werewolves can now be Butchered.
    * The ĎIím Stuckí button will stop getting stuck after 24 hours has passed. The irony of this is not lost on us, either.
    * Death Rift: Eternal Souls: You know that dragon that had wings but liked to walk a lot? He flies now!
    * Major zone events should fire off more often and the mythical purple zone event currencies should rain from the sky! Okay, maybe not rain - but they'll be more common than they have been recently.

+ Reply to Thread