+ Reply to Thread

Thread: No more pokemon pets and useless forms

Default No more pokemon pets and useless forms

I am guessing initially there was a novelty and a reasoning behind the gotta catch em all pets and the vanity forms that have no use inside of any kind of combat or world activity but they are old!

If we get forms allow us to use abilities in them so we can morph in dungeons or in combat and change our looks more than just standing still in Sanctum to show off.
    Make each form have a special ability such as form of the deep one which gives water breathing. (However I can not cast in that form so mostly useless for exploring anywhere hostile.)

No more pets add more functioning rewards. Or if you are going to continue with this collection of pokemon pets let them persist after death and also offer bonus to stats or other bonuses.

I have completed 3 full zones for artifacts and gotten 3 useless pets. I have completed one zone with full achievement and gotten a wolf form I can not use an ability while under its guise.

All the inside jokes and fluff int his game is just too much!

Quote Originally Posted by runicNomad View Post
    I am guessing initially there was a novelty and a reasoning behind the gotta catch em all pets and the vanity forms that have no use inside of any kind of combat or world activity but they are old!

If we get forms allow us to use abilities in them so we can morph in dungeons or in combat and change our looks more than just standing still in Sanctum to show off.
    Make each form have a special ability such as form of the deep one which gives water breathing. (However I can not cast in that form so mostly useless for exploring anywhere hostile.)

No more pets add more functioning rewards. Or if you are going to continue with this collection of pokemon pets let them persist after death and also offer bonus to stats or other bonuses.

I have completed 3 full zones for artifacts and gotten 3 useless pets. I have completed one zone with full achievement and gotten a wolf form I can not use an ability while under its guise.

All the inside jokes and fluff int his game is just too much!
    There are players who like fluff purely for fluff's sake. Why should they not be able to get that fluff? What does it cost you for them to get that fluff? Dev time?

Adding stats to the fluff changes the game around and would require serious tweaking and balancing around the fluff items that now have stats (upping over all stat totals) [+Dev time for balancing from PvP to Raids and instances and even normal mobs]. Making items and forms dispel on abilities prevents players form using them all the time (both good and bad imo) also saves them building 20+ animations for each forum (have you tried dancing with guise of death? Have you used ranged attacks as a rogue using it? You swing a dagger just like a melee attack it looks, meh) [+Dev time for animations]

If you don't like fluff that's fine. Some players do. Even heavy combat players can often be pet collectors. Not everything needs to give you +stats. Some things can just look good. If you don't like the fact that artifacts rewards are fluff items, don't buy them. It might be nice to someday have artifact gear or items, yes, but that doesn't mean they have to remove fluff. All these things are an option you can choose not to do/use. If you don't like it don't. Unless it hurts your gameplay or experience, why take away something other players enjoy?
    * Iím trapped under a huge pile of patch notes! Send help!
    * Werewolves can now be Butchered.
    * The ĎIím Stuckí button will stop getting stuck after 24 hours has passed. The irony of this is not lost on us, either.
    * Death Rift: Eternal Souls: You know that dragon that had wings but liked to walk a lot? He flies now!
    * Major zone events should fire off more often and the mythical purple zone event currencies should rain from the sky! Okay, maybe not rain - but they'll be more common than they have been recently.

Soulwalker

Yes, the useless pets are, well useless. Collecting pets are fun to do but they offer nothing to the game other than a few aesthetics and that has wore thin a long time ago, and a few games ago.

How about this option:

1. Collect a Pet, apply that "Pet Skin" to your melee pet with certain class restrictions or variations.

2. Some Pets could offer 1 or 2 abilities/Buffs ( Think a rune stone on 4 paws or a 2 Min Offensive/Defensive Spell or action)

3. Some Pets could become "Pack Pets" extra bag storage. ( 4 Slot for Small, 8 For Med, 10 For Large)

Make Pets Fun and useable, not just eye candy and useless.

Telaran

#2 That would be a dev nightmare, they would have to rebalance every class to account for the pet skills.

the other ideas tho are ok, i don't much agree with the extra bag one but the extra pet skins sounds ok.
    Last edited by Borindir; 04-21-2011 at 08:41 AM.

Rift Master

Wait he may have a good idea with applying companion pets to your pet skin. That would be quite awesome truthfully (I have an awesome treant pet I'd love to use instead of my Satyr).

Quite seriously, his other ideas may not have merit but that one alone sounds amazing.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Kerchanski View Post
    Yes, the useless pets are, well useless. Collecting pets are fun to do but they offer nothing to the game other than a few aesthetics and that has wore thin a long time ago, and a few games ago.

How about this option:

1. Collect a Pet, apply that "Pet Skin" to your melee pet with certain class restrictions or variations.

2. Some Pets could offer 1 or 2 abilities/Buffs ( Think a rune stone on 4 paws or a 2 Min Offensive/Defensive Spell or action)

3. Some Pets could become "Pack Pets" extra bag storage. ( 4 Slot for Small, 8 For Med, 10 For Large)

Make Pets Fun and useable, not just eye candy and useless.
    1.-I would enjoy that personally though there should be limits based on what companion skins replace which pets. (eg- treant companion for satyrs bug companion for pixies or some such dog pets replace rogue wolf pet and or warrior pet, etc) This might require a bit of time though since there would still need to be combat animation added for it (worth it imo)

2.-not a fan of due to need to balance around them

3.-I'm mixed on this one. Could be nice to have specific bag pets but what about when they're not summoned or you die? can you still access the bag? I'm not sure how this could work well honestly though maybe I'm just not seeing it the way you are.
    Last edited by JugglingFool04; 04-21-2011 at 09:02 AM.
    * The ĎIím Stuckí button will stop getting stuck after 24 hours has passed. The irony of this is not lost on us, either.
    * Death Rift: Eternal Souls: You know that dragon that had wings but liked to walk a lot? He flies now!
    * Major zone events should fire off more often and the mythical purple zone event currencies should rain from the sky! Okay, maybe not rain - but they'll be more common than they have been recently.

Rift Master

I'd almost say free pet skin swaps, would promote creativity truthfully (also I think Beastmasters and Rangers should be able to take basically any pet) the only ones I'm worried about pet skin swaps with would be Necros and Elementalists truthfully.

Soulwalker

In response to My Second suggestion. There would be no real issue with balance because the bonuses would be negligible and everyone would be privy to them. I'm not talking about Huge abilities, more like an additional Lesser Planar Essence ( Green) or any Non-Weapon Rune ( + 8 Dodge).

Damage abilities would be on par with a single non-ability using ( Charges, Power) attack. This wouldn't have any real impact other than a free swing every 2 min and a cool visual while your pet deals it out. My goal was to make them useful, not class changing or OP by any means.

As far as Pack animals If you die nothing happens they de-spawn, when you recall them you can have access to the pack just like your character bags so instead of only 5 bags on your character you can have 6, the 6th being useable only when you have your pet out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerchanski View Post
    As far as Pack animals If you die nothing happens they de-spawn, when you recall them you can have access to the pack just like your character bags so instead of only 5 bags on your character you can have 6, the 6th being useable only when you have your pet out.
    Would you only have 1 pack animal then? Since i doubt Trion wants to give us masses of free storage space (multiple pets that despawn, each having a bag would be = to bank bag slots you carry with you unless bag is shared across pets).

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by JugglingFool04 View Post
    Would you only have 1 pack animal then? Since i doubt Trion wants to give us masses of free storage space (multiple pets that despawn, each having a bag would be = to bank bag slots you carry with you unless bag is shared across pets).
    Should be shared across pets.
    My dungeon experiences and builds as a 2h Cleric tank are posted on my blog. All T1 and most T2 expert dungeons complete.

I've also posted the coordinates for all exploration achievements on my website (redesign in the works): http://tehkrizz.net/RIFT/exploration.php

Ascendant

Pets are not pointless, some players enjoy having the pets and collecting them. If you don't like them, don't collect them, leave the shinys for me.

Many of the gimicks that are put into MMOs are to keep casuals playing. Not everything in the game has to relate to combat.

I like the skins idea but it does not solve the OPs problem, skins would still be pointless.
    Last edited by Nestran; 04-21-2011 at 11:02 AM.

+ Reply to Thread