+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Open Dungeons

Default Open Dungeons

This coincides with adding some pvp element to the game. To be frank, I'm sick of instanced... everything in MMO's. Some of the great times I've had in past MMO's was randomly entering open dungeons, killing a few mobs waiting for more people to show up, group up and explore the dungeon together. It builds camaraderie, strengthens group play, and gives an option to people who play MMO's for the, you know, multiplayer aspect.

In addition, open dungeons can facilitate pvp. When I played DAoC we used to always, always make a run into POC and see if we could find some enemies. Granted the major reason people went to POC was to level their artifacts, there could be some other incentive to implement for end-game open dungeons.

One idea off the top of my head (comes from DAoC's Darkness Falls) is to have a separate currency and rewards for the dungeons.

Make them big, elaborate, and multiple off-shoots so that several groups can be in the dungeon and not run into each other. Have them progressively harder, where the further you descend, the higher the levels of the mobs go. Add mini-bosses and the occasional boss randomly in the depths of the dungeon.

Instanced dungeons and pvp take so much of the multiplayer aspect out of the game for me, and a lot of others. You sit in your capitol city, away from any threat, spamming LFG and avoiding much player interaction. Why MMO's have favored instanced gameplay I will never know, but I do know persistent gameplay is much more exciting, at least for my friends and I. It's fun having that chance to run into an enemy player and frantically addressing the threat.

I'm just sick of all the anti-social attitudes in MMO's. Why even play if you want to be alone all the time or sit in the comfort of a capitol city waiting to magically transport to a dungeon? I don't get it. I understand the necessity of preventing loot ninja's, but it could be set up like the expert/raid rifts.
    Last edited by Velico; 04-20-2011 at 09:43 PM.
    It's dangerous to try and reason with delusional people.

<Thorgorad> <Draconian Acolytes> Harrow

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Velico View Post
    This coincides with adding some pvp element to the game. To be frank, I'm sick of instanced... everything in MMO's. Some of the great times I've had in past MMO's was randomly entering open dungeons, killing a few mobs waiting for more people to show up, group up and explore the dungeon together. It builds camaraderie, strengthens group play, and gives an option to people who play MMO's for the, you know, multiplayer aspect.

In addition, open dungeons can facilitate pvp. When I played DAoC we used to always, always make a run into POC and see if we could find some enemies. Granted the major reason people went to POC was to level their artifacts, there could be some other incentive to implement for end-game open dungeons.

One idea off the top of my head (comes from DAoC's Darkness Falls) is to have a separate currency and rewards for the dungeons.

Make them big, elaborate, and multiple off-shoots so that several groups can be in the dungeon and not run into each other. Have them progressively harder, where the further you descend, the higher the levels of the mobs go. Add mini-bosses and the occasional boss randomly in the depths of the dungeon.

Instanced dungeons and pvp take so much of the multiplayer aspect out of the game for me, and a lot of others. You sit in your capitol city, away from any threat, spamming LFG and avoiding much player interaction. Why MMO's have favored instanced gameplay I will never know, but I do know persistent gameplay is much more exciting, at least for my friends and I. It's fun having that chance to run into an enemy player and frantically address the threat.

I'm just sick of all the anti-social attitudes in MMO's. Why even play if you want to be alone all the time or sit in the comfort of a capitol city waiting to magically transport to a dungeon? I don't get it. I understand the necessity of preventing loot ninja's, but it could be set up like the expert/raid rifts.

Time is precious these days, I myself would not have the time to wait for people to show up and go exploring stuff together no matter how great that would be. Also I think that the rifts themselves give you the option to group up with people and go kill mobs.

Btw I like the word camaraderie, sounds russian to me, does that word even exist in english?

Default Curiouser and curiouser

Quote Originally Posted by Locthar View Post
    Btw I like the word camaraderie, sounds russian to me, does that word even exist in english?
    Correct on both counts. Russian origin, and a proper English word.

Concerning OP:
    Yes.

"Say it a million times. Say it a million more times. The answer you will have said two million times is...?"

I understand being crunched for time, and personally I empathize with that -- I likely would not have the opportunity to enjoy the full content of an open dungeon or "cave system". But that doesn't mean that those who are interested should be denied.

Especially if they lead to very interesting places. Such as, what if there was a portal down at the bottom which took you to the enemy's Starter Zone? Or across the world?

And personally "Shoreward Isle" would be the perfect place to have the first open dungeon. It starts off as a rabbit hole...
    Last edited by Morvick; 04-20-2011 at 10:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

Rift Master

I miss Blood from UO, that dungeon had me worried sick every step I took that someone was hidden waiting for me..

+ Reply to Thread