+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Change The Rift Forums Posting And Editing Mechanics, Please.

Default Change The Rift Forums Posting And Editing Mechanics, Please.

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.
    and,

The administrator has specified that you can only edit messages for 5 minutes after you have posted. This limit has expired, so you must contact the administrator to make alterations on your message.
    Are both completely unnecessary, and often disruptive of the purpose of these forums: Communication, and discussion.

Why are posters required to submit at least 10 characters? If "/signed" or "yes" or "no" are sufficient to communicate everything a poster wants to express, why should that poster be prompted to say more? Should players be encouraged to be concise about their posts? IMO the minimum character limit should be reduced to 1, down from 10.

As for the 5 min editing timer, this should be removed entirely. I've posted several threads in these forums,and some of my ideas, through discussion with other players, have been refined to the point that the OP no longer adequately expresses what the idea even is at that point - and readers don't (and can't be expected to) read through 20 pages of posts to see how the idea in the OP has been refined - which causes a lot of posts pointing out issues that have already been addressed, or giving feedback that has already been offered.

TL:DR
    Reduce the minimum character requirement to make a post to 1, down from 10.
    Remove 5 minute window of time to edit a post. Posts should always be editable.

Quote Originally Posted by Haliaeetus View Post
    I find myself only agreeing with Suggestion #2.

The 10char minimum discourages bumping, easy as it is to get around. I can at least say that seeing posts that consist of only "." would drive me mental.

But coming from where I stand, I'm a "First Post Perfectionist", and I don't expect everyone to read the entire thread top to bottom to absorb all the ideas and content that has been discussed.
    In 10+ page threads, that's just not reasonable to expect a casually-interested bystander to do. I would prefer to give them the skinny on what's been discussed, even linking to the posts where the idea originated in-thread.

Thus, I enjoy updating the Original Post into oblivion for days or even weeks, including formatting (lists, colors, styles), corrections (grammar, examples, spelling, etc), and of course, content (new ideas, exceptions, spontaneous questions, etc).
    It seems I also like to use commas a lot. Hm.
    Last edited by Morvick; 04-20-2011 at 03:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Morvick View Post
    I find myself only agreeing with Suggestion #2.

The 10char minimum discourages bumping, easy as it is to get around. I can at least say that seeing posts that consist of only "." would drive me mental.
    Bumping is often necessary to prevent a thread from dying. I'd rather see " . " than "Bump, 10chars" personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Haliaeetus View Post
    and,

Are both completely unnecessary, and often disruptive of the purpose of these forums: Communication, and discussion.

Why are posters required to submit at least 10 characters? If "/signed" or "yes" or "no" are sufficient to communicate everything a poster wants to express, why should that poster be prompted to say more? Should players be encouraged to be concise about their posts? IMO the minimum character limit should be reduced to 1, down from 10.

As for the 5 min editing timer, this should be removed entirely. I've posted several threads in these forums,and some of my ideas, through discussion with other players, have been refined to the point that the OP no longer adequately expresses what the idea even is at that point - and readers don't (and can't be expected to) read through 20 pages of posts to see how the idea in the OP has been refined - which causes a lot of posts pointing out issues that have already been addressed, or giving feedback that has already been offered.

TLR

for bumping it's against their code of conduct (see top of forums)

Thread Bumping: Please do not bump threads simply for the sake of bumping them. This is considered spam since it does not add to the discussion in a constructive or meaningful way. We understand that everyone wants to keep their discussion active and visible, but we encourage you to post meaningful and constructive content instead of “Bump!” posts.

As for the second there was a dev post or podcast comment (i think podcast) about why they do it but I can't find it right now
    Last edited by JugglingFool04; 04-20-2011 at 05:21 PM.
    * I’m trapped under a huge pile of patch notes! Send help!
    * Werewolves can now be Butchered.
    * The ‘I’m Stuck’ button will stop getting stuck after 24 hours has passed. The irony of this is not lost on us, either.
    * Death Rift: Eternal Souls: You know that dragon that had wings but liked to walk a lot? He flies now!
    * Major zone events should fire off more often and the mythical purple zone event currencies should rain from the sky! Okay, maybe not rain - but they'll be more common than they have been recently.

I agree on having the edit timer removed, it is SO annoying that I have to make an entirely new thread whenever I want to add description changes in the thread I have for my guild on the shardforum.
    I also hate returning to a post, seeing that i've mistyped a link and not being able to fix it, thusly redirecting people to something that doesn't work >.<

As for the bumping, I'm fine with the 10 char limit. It suggests that you need to write something more than just "bump" or "." - which I see as good. Even though you bump a thread up, it doesn't have to look like thats what you're intentionally doing - Write something useful now you're at it anyways

Quote Originally Posted by JugglingFool04 View Post
    for bumping it's against their code of conduct (see top of forums)

Thread Bumping: Please do not bump threads simply for the sake of bumping them. This is considered spam since it does not add to the discussion in a constructive or meaningful way. We understand that everyone wants to keep their discussion active and visible, but we encourage you to post meaningful and constructive content instead of “Bump!” posts.

As for the second there was a dev post or podcast comment (i think podcast) about why they do it but I can't find it right now
    o.O I didn't that was against the CoC... personally I'd argue that stopping a conversation from being digested by the bowels of the forums would constitute "adding to the discussion in a constructive or meaningful way," but hey, that's just me.

If you find the podcast, please link.

Actually removing the I can't edit post would be good becose ppl can't created community post to help other player. Crafting listing or key player on a shard. Plz remouve the timer on Edit post
    Fili - The Bard - Lvl 50 - Guild Sinister
    My youtube channel is Here for Combat video

I agree with removing the edit timer.

I'd like to see the 5min edit limit removed, too. Partially because I really hate looking back at a post and seeing that I've made grammatical errors or had some atrocious spelling mishaps (or auto'correction' thanks to my iPhone). Mainly, though, its because I like adding/refining OP's and I like seeing player-made compendiums of game information that is simply impossible to do/add to if we aren't able to edit our posts.

Check out the Rift Wardrobe Wiki!

Quote Originally Posted by Fili View Post
    Actually removing the I can't edit post would be good becose ppl can't created community post to help other player. Crafting listing or key player on a shard. Plz remouve the timer on Edit post
    Actually Trion has recently started to make exceptions to specific thread that act as guides. If you'd like to see some examples there's a stickie in general of the ones they've liked enough to link. If you're thinking of starting one I think you can contact a Forum mod about it if you'd like permission though I don't know the specific way they want to handle people who are planning to make guides so I'm not sure if that will work.

And for the record it, IMO would be nice to have the 5 minutes atleast change to something more like 3-5 hours or such.

as for the link I believe it was last week's http://www.riftpodcast.com/ but I'm not certain and sadly I'm at work so can't check
    Last edited by JugglingFool04; 04-21-2011 at 05:54 AM.
    * I’m trapped under a huge pile of patch notes! Send help!
    * Werewolves can now be Butchered.
    * The ‘I’m Stuck’ button will stop getting stuck after 24 hours has passed. The irony of this is not lost on us, either.
    * Death Rift: Eternal Souls: You know that dragon that had wings but liked to walk a lot? He flies now!
    * Major zone events should fire off more often and the mythical purple zone event currencies should rain from the sky! Okay, maybe not rain - but they'll be more common than they have been recently.

I agree with the second suggestion. There shouldn't be a time limit for your own post. I can understand why it's done since people have gone back and deleted the their post or changed it so much, the following discussions just don't make any sense.

At the same time, it's difficult when studying class details to follow the discussion as to what is or not correct in the OP's main post, particularly when the min/maxers are involved. Same can apply to any discussion that is detailed. It takes a long time to work through threads with 50-200 posts then compare it against the original idea and work through all the corrections.

I find myself not reading the vast majority of posts and just look for certain posters' comments. And yeah, I could miss valuable information that comes from someone "not well known."

I'm sure there is a compromise in there somewhere. Perhaps allowing 24 hours access to one's post to correct spellings, grammar, add in more ideas or correct information given.

As to minimum number of characters - This really ain't a big deal when you think on it.

Agree with removing edit timer

+ Reply to Thread