+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Energy management

Soulwalker

Default Energy management

Can we get someone to look at warrior and rogue energy usage from a balance perspective?

In my humble opinion, a character should be able to repeatedly use their lowest level, lowest damage attacks while very slowly regaining energy. Using higher level attacks (or any attacks off the global cooldown) should deplete a character's energy and deal proportionately more damage.

This gives the players a choice between dealing more damage but burning energy vs dealing less damage while conserving energy. That allows players to incorporate energy management tactics into their gameplay.

However, after running the numbers, I've reached the following conclusions:

A warrior can't run out of energy unless they use attacks that are off the global cooldown.

A rogue can't conserve energy unless they stop attacking completely.

I know somebody is going to misinterpret this post. I'm not asking for an across the board nerf to warriors or a buff to rogues. Ultimately, I think that the damage dealt by both archetypes should be about on par with each other. A rogue should attack more often, but deal less damage per hit. A warrior should hit harder, but slower. Both archetypes should have the option to temporarily increase their damage by burning their energy. Individual abilities from both classes will probably need to have their damages adjusted to be proportional to their energy cost.

Warriors regain 15 energy per second and have a 1.5 second global cooldown. They should build up 3 attack points before launching a finishing move. A warrior's most expensive attack cost 30 energy and generates 1 attack point. Their most expensive finisher costs 25. Assuming the warrior goes through an 8 second cycle of 3 builders and 1 finisher, they'll spend 115 energy but regain 120. This gives warriors a net energy gain while using their most expensive attacks.

Rogues regain 20 energy per second and have a 1 second global cooldown. They should build up 5 combo points on an enemy before launching a finishing move. A rogue's cheapest attack cost 30 energy and generates 1 combo point. Almost all their finishers cost 40 by default, but the energy cost is reduced to 20 if they have 5 combo points. Assuming the rogue goes through a 6 second cycle of 5 builders and 1 finisher, they'll spend 170 energy but only regain 120. This gives rogues a net energy loss while using their cheapest attacks.

Rift Master

As a Riftblade I find myself running out of energy frequently. I reach basically what I call "Low Energy Threshold" where I'm using more than I'm gaining at any time and have to wait a prolonged period to reach full again before I can continue.

That I can think of I'm not using anything off Global Cooldown either.

Soulwalker

I'm just guessing here, are you using Fork, Earth Burst and/or Stoneshield?

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggletag View Post
    I'm just guessing here, are you using Fork, Earth Burst and/or Stoneshield?
    Only Earth Burst as part of my rotation (since it hits harder)

+ Reply to Thread