+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Suggestions for Better Communication

Shadowlander

Default Suggestions for Better Communication

Although the communication between Trion and players is usually really good, there have been certain times when it is not so good.

I greatly appreciate the amount of time that Trion spends communicating with players on the forums, but many players do not read the forums. Some things, like the fact that the recent event was so short, are not communicated very well. I didn't know until after the event was delayed for a week and only because I read the forums. I feel that this is unfortunate and leaves many players uninformed.

To fix this, I would suggest adding a news scroller in the patcher/login sidebar. One link for the complete patch updates, one link for PTR patch updates, and then other links for helpful information. That could be information for an upcoming event, important dev posts, or whatever else. I think this would disseminate information to a larger percentage of players much better than the forums do.

Another recent example of bad communication is the end of shard collection for the event. "A few days" is poor communication. "With a hotfix on Wednesday" is much better. That provides a specific deadline for people to work toward. The original topic should have been updated as soon as this decision was made. Personally, I was one more day of rifts and dailies (plus the bonus pack) away from getting the last couple of items that I wanted. It's not a big deal to me, after everything else that has gone wrong in the last week, but I'm sure that some people will be very upset if they're a small number of shards away from a prize after receiving their reward packs. Had I known the deadline was Wednesday, I would have ground out rifts for a couple more hours this weekend. Not a big deal, but annoying nonetheless.

A good fix for issues of timeliness is to announce changes 48 hours in advance. I understand that sometimes major changes are out of your control, but giving players better information in a more timely manner will fix a lot of issues with people complaining of poor customer service on the forums. This is such a minor fix in policy and I'm extremely surprised you don't have a rule about timely announcements.

Thanks again for being open to suggestions!

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzbutt View Post
    Although the communication between Trion and players is usually really good, there have been certain times when it is not so good.

I greatly appreciate the amount of time that Trion spends communicating with players on the forums, but many players do not read the forums. Some things, like the fact that the recent event was so short, are not communicated very well. I didn't know until after the event was delayed for a week and only because I read the forums. I feel that this is unfortunate and leaves many players uninformed.

To fix this, I would suggest adding a news scroller in the patcher/login sidebar. One link for the complete patch updates, one link for PTR patch updates, and then other links for helpful information. That could be information for an upcoming event, important dev posts, or whatever else. I think this would disseminate information to a larger percentage of players much better than the forums do.

Another recent example of bad communication is the end of shard collection for the event. "A few days" is poor communication. "With a hotfix on Wednesday" is much better. That provides a specific deadline for people to work toward. The original topic should have been updated as soon as this decision was made. Personally, I was one more day of rifts and dailies (plus the bonus pack) away from getting the last couple of items that I wanted. It's not a big deal to me, after everything else that has gone wrong in the last week, but I'm sure that some people will be very upset if they're a small number of shards away from a prize after receiving their reward packs. Had I known the deadline was Wednesday, I would have ground out rifts for a couple more hours this weekend. Not a big deal, but annoying nonetheless.

A good fix for issues of timeliness is to announce changes 48 hours in advance. I understand that sometimes major changes are out of your control, but giving players better information in a more timely manner will fix a lot of issues with people complaining of poor customer service on the forums. This is such a minor fix in policy and I'm extremely surprised you don't have a rule about timely announcements.

Thanks again for being open to suggestions!

The best part of all of this is that the post comes from a guynamed fuzzbutt. I love it! Seriously though great points and well stated. Alot of these issues I don't really have issues with, I'm pretty laid back and understanding of these things but your totally right. These are some lessons in customer service and communication that I think Trion should take a serious look at. I know they are all working hard and putting in lots of time and energy so it's not a slam but some things they could do better with not much more effort.

Thanks for this great post
    Quote Originally Posted by lolbird View Post
    i can't heal through stupid.

Have to agree that even though the communication exists it would benefit the game if they could improve on the solid information they provide now. This could be done in log in screen or even in game, although it could make players interface a bit more "bulky".

Updates, patch notes, upcoming events, etc. all need to be communicated to the community but not all players participate or even read the forums. Having it directly in front of the player as they log in or once they get in would greatly enhance how the information is distributed.

Agree with OP.

+ Reply to Thread