+ Reply to Thread

Thread: @Rift Community Organizers (Trion)

Default @Rift Community Organizers (Trion)

IDEA 1 - COMMUNICATION (Round-up)
    I know that my posts have not always been civil, intelligent, or even respectful. However, my critical nature simply means that I care. While I can appreciate that Scott Hartsman himself has addressed the community to let us know that the team is working hard to correct issues, we need more open communication between players and Trion staff. This channel of communication does not always need to be a direct line to developers, because that is rather silly. However, we should have a more direct line to our Community Representatives. I know you exist - every MMO has a staff dedicated to the community.

I want to start trying to build this channel of communication, even though I am nothing special, for the sake of the community at large. I don't mean that you directly talk to me, because that is also a silly demand. However, I would greatly enjoy maybe a weekly run-down of the hottest forum topics. Just let us know that you guys are hearing us, and communicate back with with a weekly round-up.

This round-up could possibly work in the following format:

Hello Community,

[Insert anything you would like here. It is more of an ice breaker]

We have heard you all, and we understand you are frustrated with the following issues.
    [Insert top 10 issues here]

Please be aware we can not give you any information before it is complete, but we are fully aware of said issues and will address them accordingly if our internal testing and data can verify the claims.

We would also like everyone to be aware that the following security risks - while low - are affecting the Rift community:

[Insert updated news regarding security]

[Insert anything else]

Sincerely,
    Your Community Representative.
    I am no expert, but I believe this would do a lot to increase the morale of the community. It really just lets everyone know that our feedback is making a difference, and not simply being ignored.

IDEA 2 - EVENTS

I don't want to speak ill of the world event. Trion attempted to do something new, and wanted to give us a great experience. I do respect them for breaking out of the "safe" design of the game, and offering us a more unique experience!

World events have amazing potential to be loads of fun. Especially if we ever have to come together as a community to determine the outcome of it - pass or fail - we make the difference. That really excites me.

However, there were several logistical issues. While I understand you did not mean for the event to last only 30 minutes on average, you really stole the fun experience from a lot of players that had to work. I was one of the unlucky people that worked on Saturday.

Please consider in the future to make each phase of an event last at least 24 hours. This will give everyone an appropriate chance to earn the same achievements as everyone else, and not be completely limited by issues outside of player skill or dedication. While I am a dedicated MMO player, I am also dedicated to putting food on the table, so I couldn't just skip work for it.

Other than that glaring issue, I know the developers are working hard to address the other technical issues.

IDEA 3 - RULE ENFORCEMENT

It would be rather nice if the in-game GM's would do more to police the community. All of these trolls, extremely rude/abusive players and other similar types need to know that they are not welcome in this game unless they can adhere to the rules.

While I like this game, sometimes the community on my shard makes me want to just quit. You can only deal with verbal abuse for so long before you just become sick and tired of it. There should be heavy consequences to keep the 4chan kids away from this community.

If you do nothing else, please try to give is a safer and more enjoyable game world by simply enforcing your own rules! By this I mean be stricter. Don't be so relaxed with them, or the community will never get better.

Other Information

Well, I am running late for work. I wrote this all very quickly, and I don't even have time to type check it for any issues. So, everyone will have to simply ignore any mistakes made and try to get the point of it all.

I will add more suggestions, and expand on existing ideas, at a later time. I won't be able to edit the post, so I will repost it in this same topic below when I do fix it up a bit, etc. However, I feel that there is enough here to make a simple suggestion.

Thanks for reading. Time for work

I agree with a lot of this.

In re: to #1 - There are podcasts. Now that the Suggestion forums are going, perhaps they will look at them and pick things that are most commented on or most glaring.

#2 - Wouldn't know - was busy this past Saturday and wasn't able to stay on the game any real length of time due to RL obligations.

#3 - Totally agree. What's the point of creating rules if they're not going to be enforced? Most of us don't want to feel as though we're stuck in a place where spammers and those with 4th grade mentalities can keep up their disruptive behavior with no recourse because you may not want to lose an account or something. Some of us ran away from an MMO environment where no amount of reporting spam or player abuse got us anywhere. The offending parties were free to be as disruptive and rude as they wanted because they had a paid account that a company didn't want to lose. So, that company wound up losing my account and that of others like me who were fed up.

The shard I'm on really isn't bad in that regard, but I've heard that some can be pretty bad sometimes. The Free Weekends are the worst though.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviana View Post
    I agree with a lot of this.

In re: to #1 - There are podcasts. Now that the Suggestion forums are going, perhaps they will look at them and pick things that are most commented on or most glaring.

#2 - Wouldn't know - was busy this past Saturday and wasn't able to stay on the game any real length of time due to RL obligations.

#3 - Totally agree. What's the point of creating rules if they're not going to be enforced? Most of us don't want to feel as though we're stuck in a place where spammers and those with 4th grade mentalities can keep up their disruptive behavior with no recourse because you may not want to lose an account or something. Some of us ran away from an MMO environment where no amount of reporting spam or player abuse got us anywhere. The offending parties were free to be as disruptive and rude as they wanted because they had a paid account that a company didn't want to lose. So, that company wound up losing my account and that of others like me who were fed up.

The shard I'm on really isn't bad in that regard, but I've heard that some can be pretty bad sometimes. The Free Weekends are the worst though.
    This is kind of old now, but I did want to reply and say that I think podcasts hosted on some third-party site is probably one of the worst possible ways to reach a large portion of your community. They need to do more to get information out across multiple channels at the same time to ensure they inform their community to the best of their ability.

Some examples would be to announce information:

- In the launcher
    - In-game
    - Podcasts for those who enjoy them
    - Official website (maybe even riftgame.com/news/)
    - Forums

They could also include social media sites for even more coverage.

Basically their current model of maybe giving a copy/paste of patch notes on the forum and a podcast they don't even seem to officially support (and if they do, it just goes to show how cloak and dagger it is compared to how it should be) isn't the best way to reach a majority of your audience.

This is why a HUGE portion of the in-game community is completely ignorant to almost all of the changes they make unless it happens to be detailed in the patch notes; and by the time this happens it is already over and done with.
    Last edited by Strategic; 05-20-2011 at 12:38 PM.

+ Reply to Thread