+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A suggestion for alternate/future development: Intense RP Shard

Soulwalker

Default A suggestion for alternate/future development: Intense RP Shard

Hello everyone,

Throwing in a suggestion that runs opposite to the culture of current MMOs: a real, premium, role-playing shard. First, some background:

I grew up on a text based MMO (well, MMO for 1992) called GemStone. It routinely supported about 500 users in a single shared environment. In this game, the salient feature distinctive from others is that GM staff routinely monitored and intervened in the environment in both direct and indirect ways. Roleplaying was encouraged through a series of rewards, beginning with exp modifier bonuses (something like 50% bonus for not being OOC and interacting with others in a normal IC way, 100% for excellent consistent roleplaying, and so on) as well as tailored events taking into account current population in given areas.

Taking that as a point of departure, I would like to suggest that you offer a RIFT-Premium Intense Roleplaying Shard:

1) Extra monthly cost to support more GM presence, monitoring and directing events 24 hours. Some market study would need to be done, but as a point of comparison GemStone IV is still in business offering a premium experience for nearly 100/mo, still plain text. :-)

2) Player commitment (modifying EULA) agreeing to stay in character. Excessive/disruptive OOC gets a transfer out to a normal non-premium shard.

3) Routinely reward roleplaying, perhaps in three tiers of rewards:
    Tier-1: Avoids OOC, some interesting IC interaction. [EXP Mpdifier]
    Tier-2: Consistently IC, interesting interactions. [EXP Modifeir + some currency]
    Tier-3: Outstanding RP. [insert great reward here]

4) I would recommend hiring GMs in two categories: World Monitors, and Event Designers. WM's make sure that chat channels are free of spam, and monitor key player cluster areas to keep track of roleplaying. ED's take into account player clusters to design on the spot events given population. Not sure what kind of tools are available for in-game content control, but I'm sure y'all have or are thinking of having such a thing. ;-)

5) As part of the premium experience, ease up on some of the notorious grinds... use it as a test bed to improve the player economy. Perhaps shifting awaay from a recipe based system to a pure skill/ingredient search system allowing precise control of all stats.

As a long-time gamer, I would definitely be happy to pay a premium for a boutique game experience, I would bet I'm not the only one out there...

-Adsum

I can't say i'm very fond of this.
    Roleplayers have been neglected in so many games because we're a supposed "Minority" - people claim that we have no right to ask for RP rewards, to ask for vanity items or abilities that would only have a function with RP.
    And now you want us to pay extra just so we can have what we honestly should already have? We already pay a monthly fee, yet we get just about nothing, we can hardly have someone punished for having a name that already violates the existing EULA.
    I wouldn't buy it.
    Having GM's that actually care thinking that RP shards have environments that differ from other pve/pvp shards would be a great thing - but I wouldn't pay extra for it, nor would I want to re-roll on a different shard.
    Specific rules that applies to RP shards only, yes please - but make sure they're kept, so one would have to solve the GM issue first. Maybe it would be an idea for trion to look for some players that can represent the roleplayers and is willing to put some dedication into suggesting things and bringing out news that is relevant only to the RP community.

I heavily disagree on rewarding people for roleplaying. It takes away the charm for me, and brings roleplaying to a state of you do it because theres a reward in the end, like a quest - not because you want to have fun. Fun is the biggest reward that roleplaying can grant you, and to be honest I think it should stay that way.
    That being said, it doesn't mean we shouldn't have items/abilities that mainly apply to roleplayers. I'd love to be able to place down a campfire (with an aiming function, not a random spawn), or perhaps raise a tent (that is tall enough for you to enter. We have some really small tents in this game) and a proper seating function for chairs would be so nice (try sitting down on a char with a human male. That leg, unless you have a table you could rest the leg on it just doesn't make sense xD )

There is loads Trion could to for the roleplayers, and the fact that their lore-writers listen to us is a great start that sets them a milestone ahead of other games (that I have played)
    Question is if they are willing to accept that roleplayers isn't a minority, but a part of the paying playing community that deserves to be treated equally with others. If raiders gets epics for doing raids, which they like, why can't we get a campfire then?

Just my thoughts.

Soulwalker

Talla,

It comes down to the numbers. Effective development of a roleplaying culture has to do in part with players, and in part the way the game is monitored. Monitoring takes more personnel, more costs. Again, in comparison -- there is a GemStone premium, and a regular. Both appeal to a different market.

I am proposing more or less the same thing.

The first and necessary step to having an immersive experience is eliminating the stuff that breaks the immersion: spam, constant OOC chat, and so on. This requires more staff involvement, 24 hours. I would agree with you that rewarding roleplay is debatable, but I feel that at least monitoring is absolutely essential. One gets very annoyed seeing the same spam over and over.

At the moment, there is no distinction between RP and non-RP shards -- the RP shard I'm in isn't. ;) Some make the effort, but it gets drowned out too easily. I feel a separate shard is necessary simply because it wasn't done in the first place.

-Adsum

Quote Originally Posted by Adsum View Post
    Talla,

It comes down to the numbers. Effective development of a roleplaying culture has to do in part with players, and in part the way the game is monitored. Monitoring takes more personnel, more costs. Again, in comparison -- there is a GemStone premium, and a regular. Both appeal to a different market.

I am proposing more or less the same thing.

The first and necessary step to having an immersive experience is eliminating the stuff that breaks the immersion: spam, constant OOC chat, and so on. This requires more staff involvement, 24 hours. I would agree with you that rewarding roleplay is debatable, but I feel that at least monitoring is absolutely essential. One gets very annoyed seeing the same spam over and over.

At the moment, there is no distinction between RP and non-RP shards -- the RP shard I'm in isn't. ;) Some make the effort, but it gets drowned out too easily. I feel a separate shard is necessary simply because it wasn't done in the first place.

-Adsum
    I just honestly do not see why Trion can't find it to make sure the GM's do their job without us having to pay more - theres already loads they can do against names, spam etc but they do not. It might cost more yes, but they also want to deliver a game thats better at everything than the rest of the market.
    Rift has been a near perfect game for me so far, giving it that extra nudge would add to the perfection and give me a real happy smile when I'm playing ^^
    Unless they can come up with an honest answer that they simply can't afford to put in a change like the one we look for, then I don't see why we should pay more.

I would rather not see new shards created since we're already non dominating on our current shards, giving more options in where we can go means that you spread out rp'ers far too much. If anything they could take a current shard and simply upgrade it to being full RP and offer free server transfers away and to the shard for an amount of time (once/if they get that up and running)
    One of the big things that went wrong on Argent was that the shards filled up after 5 mins into headstart, causing A LOT of people to roll on Argent even though they admitted to not knowing what RP was and not having any interest in RP what so ever. Many of them even said they were intending to roll on other shards, but couldn't
    On the other hand, I wouldn't want to see a shard completely without non-rp people, theres a lot of people rolling on RP shards because they like the communities better - and they also add their part to the server, they give you someone to play with when you'd rather do PvE for a time, perhaps run a nice dungeon or so
    We should be able to co-exist without stepping (too much) on each others toes.

Soulwalker

Default Staffing Costs..

Talila,

From what I understand... given the huge number of shards, it is simply not practical to have GMs monitoring every shard all the time. The staffing costs would get out of control. Instead, I imagine they hire a few GMs that serve all the shards based on petitions and complaints filed...

Even if you have just one GM per shard, its... GM x 3 (8 hour shifts) x shard. A huge, huge number. And if we're talking roleplaying, its pretty much necessary to have one person monitoring.

However, I am proposing a premium shard simply because I would like specifically tailored events supporting a roleplaying culture directed by qualified GMs with a good writing style as opposed to random event generators based on population counts.

-Adsum

Ascendant

I'd pay a premium price for a RP server that was serious, and not just some letter designation on the server type board.

Soulwalker

RP is its own reward... any kind of system to force RP will fail... look at what little RP there is on a RP server already...

I just dont see any kind of feesible way to create a truly rp experience on a consistent basis

Default No.

I don't have to pay extra to kill other players on PvP servers.
    I don't have to pay extra to kill NPC's on PvE server.
    Why should I have to pay extra to RP on RP servers?

Trion needs to create and enforce some rules for RP servers to remove the disruptive players from that environment.

There should be no rewards for RP other than the RP itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Haliaeetus View Post

Trion needs to create and enforce some rules for RP servers to remove the disruptive players from that environment.

Raiders get epics for raiding, pve in general offers a lot of rewards
    PvP'ers have vendors with loads of nice, shiny things they can pick from.
    Roleplayers get the experience they create themselves - and yes it may be enough.. But would it be too much to ask for a bonfire? Some more vanity items?
    I mean.. they've disco-sticks in the game.. and we could use more vendors with white-quality good looking gear.

I think this is a great thread by the way, it shines some light on an area that needs a little shine of developer love

Quote Originally Posted by Haliaeetus View Post

I agree with this for the most part. The OP's intentions are good, no doubt, but I agree that RPers shouldn't have to pay extra when none of the other playstyles have to pay extra for the support they get even if it's just coded content.

If they'd start with enforcing their own policies that would go a long way towards dealing with the problems on RP servers. In fact that was my main hope for the RP servers when the game went live. I had hoped they'd have rules for RP servers when I found out they would have official servers, but soon found out they would not, much to my disappointment. When I read the naming policies I thought they were really good, and they are. Enforcement would have helped make up for the lack of RP server policies, but we're not seeing that.

Now if they want to offer transfers off the current RP servers to non-RP servers they could very well go back and put in a good RP ruleset, but I don't think it would be fair to do that unless they offer full account transfers. BUT rules are worthless without enforcement, so their CS needs to get their heads out and do their jobs before anything can work.

Quote Originally Posted by Talila View Post
    Roleplayers get the experience they create themselves - and yes it may be enough.. But would it be too much to ask for a bonfire? Some more vanity items?
    I mean.. they've disco-sticks in the game.. and we could use more vendors with white-quality good looking gear.
    I'm all for things like vanity pets, bon fires, gear, and all that kind of fluff; I just don't think it should be obtained as a 'reward' for RPing; it should be purchased with one of the various in-game currencies, or via drop or w/e.

I just don't want to see the RP community watered down by people doing half-@$$ed RP in hopes of getting a reward.

RP is the one aspect of any MMO that isn't a grind - let's keep it that way, please.

Soulwalker

Default On premium services and the issue of "enforcement" in RP Servers

Some very good points have been raised in this thread. In a sense I made a mistake conflating RP and premium services in my initial post. The logic I was using is that the kind of game services and changes that I am proposing inevitably lead to extra costs: extra staff online 24 hours.

In general I have experienced that people respond better to carrots than just sticks. :-) Enforcement of policies is necessary to avoid the obvious immersion breaking issues: massive spam, OOC chat in level/zone channels, and so on. However, what I observed in the game where an RP reward system was in place was that it generally worked. And here is why.

-Bad RP does not get rewarded
    -People unsure or unfamiliar with what is good RP observe those who are and improve.
    -Discussions out of game such as here in forums can help people learn to distinguish and improve.
    -Ingame guides and guidelines can be developed to encourage people.
    -Attempts at RP that end up being disruptive get direct attention from a kindly GM.

If people are truly bad at RP and want the reward, they have to learn how to get'm. :-) I for one would rather have an attempt at RP than consistent OOC chat. Wouldn't you?

Setting this aside for a moment, and on to the other topic in my original post: premium services. MMOs at the moment are about serving the most people possible with the lowest costs consistent with the bottom line. What I have observed is that for the most part the events and rifts are able to manage themselves based on player counts and random number generators. I am used to this from other games, but I want more.

I want a personalized, tailored experience. I want not just a generic invasion that will spawn when X number of people are in a zone, I want something unique and different every time. I want to be shocked when a mean foothold challenges me directly to defend Telara, and kicks my rear end... motivating me to get others involved to defend the land from the evil invaders. I want non-generic rewards tailored to an event written just for that one occasion, not one that is repeated over and over and over. As an aside, just how many times must I drag the wolves to the stones..... <mumble>.

In other words, I want to be surprised every time I play... surprised by crafty, evil, genius GMs with a flare for H.P. Lovecraft, Tolkien, Jordan, and you name your favorite writer here. I want something that does not exist at the moment except in a text-only format.

And I am willing to pay a premium to get it. How much... I am not sure, but it could end up being a lot. :-)

Originally I was linking this premium idea with RP... simply because it makes economic sense to have intense RP enforcement in the context of GM-driven unique events, need more personnel to attend this kind of shard.

-Adsum
    Last edited by Adsum; 04-21-2011 at 07:53 AM.

Some ok ideas here. Personally, I would like to see an Oceana server or two first. My gawd we need them. So badly.

Server: Now at Laethys (Was: Estrael)
    Toon: FrozenBlood
    Class: warrior - Raid Tank - (G)
    Guild: --

Soulwalker

Everquest 1 did something like this. sonyeq charged more for the "ledgends server" than the others. the idea was that you get more ingame events/service and more unique items. it was a flop. and they merged it with another.

Rift Master

I think simply just more enforcement of RP policies (Cracking down on severe OOC in public places, player names/guild names) would VASTLY go miles for the RP community. Currently the majority of RP servers are indistinguishable from a non-RP server, and that shouldn't be how it is.
    Last edited by Shadowclaimer; 04-21-2011 at 09:33 AM.

+ Reply to Thread