+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I would greatly appreciate an ability to turn my XP gain off

Soulwalker

Default I would greatly appreciate an ability to turn my XP gain off

I know that people will get all in a huff about pvp twinking, but I feel that's a solveable problem - WoW did it to a degree by placing people with xp off in a separate battleground so they only faced other twinks.

I'm one of the people who appreciates the journey more than the destination., and I feel today's MMO's level too fast. I'd like the option of running dungeons, some pvp, some daily quests without completely out leveling all my quests areas. I'd like my quests to remain even level or 1-2 above to maintain somewhat of a challenge.

I like being in a zone for a long time with xp off, working on low level reps, pvp, and killing mobs for leather crafting mats and maybe work on achievements/collections and then turn xp on when I'm ready to start advancing.

It seems like a simple feature that is available in several other major MMOs and is COMPLETELY optional for the player without affecting anyone else's game experience.

I know that are people that will argue against it simply because they can't fathom why someone would want it take longer to level, but I promise you I'm not the only one and the more players this game retains the better.

This is going to be doubly important when the dungeon finder tool gets implimented, as there will be much more lower level grouping for alts and mains of all level ranges, and people will quickly out level zones.

It's an important feature for me that will keep me interested in Rift.
    Last edited by Lynchpin; 04-19-2011 at 09:41 PM.

Shadowlander

I fully support this suggesstion.

Everquest 2 have this...And it works splendid.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Darkain View Post
    I fully support this suggesstion.

Everquest 2 have this...And it works splendid.

Good call, even better if it worked like EQ2 xp slider. You don't lose XP then, you just convert it into alternate xp. I wish I could control the pace of my leveling like that in every MMO.
    Last edited by Lynchpin; 04-20-2011 at 12:31 AM.

Rift Chaser

It is a reasonable idea and one which I would support.

Regarding twinks I honestly don't think the player base would mind too much. Sure I accept a twinked character at a certain optimized level may be able to out-shoot, tank, or heal anything at his or her level but that advantage swiftly disappears as you level up.

There is quite a big difference between levels, i have noticed this as I level myself, so those who want to play at level cap will swiftly level past twinked toons.

I used experience freezing myself at level 60 in WoW (a DK) Not to PvP but to practice being a tank, which to a certain extent is a learned skill in pulling and controlling aggro. A similar point could apply to folks wanting to try out healing, or for that matter various combinations of souls not commonplace in world.

Finally from a developing or software view the coding needed to prevent experience gain should be fairly simple.

Soulwalker

I'd like to see that too. Somewhere between the weeks of grinding it took to level in EQ and the couple of hours it takes in Rift is a happy medium. If the devs can't hit the sweet spot then let the players decide. It was this way in LoTRO too, a lil questing and Bam, you leveled. I enjoy the questing and the exploration but I find I've 'outgrown' an area before I've completely enjoyed it. All the posts after beta asking if they were going to dial back the experience rewards would indicate others feel the same way.

I don't care if this is implemented, as I would never use it, but I just wanted to say this:

Twinks (ultra-geared non-max level characters) RUIN pvp for non-twinks. If an xp-off feature is added, many people will undoubtedly use it to turn off the xp at the highest level in a bracket so they can gear like crazy and grief the #&$% out of people in Warfronts.

Therefore, if this is implemented, there needs to be a second set of WF's added for xp-off characters, so that they are NEVER put into the same WF as an xp-on player.

Whatever your reason for wanting xp off - fine. But I don't want it to effect my gameplay in any way.

There's another recent thread on this. Perhaps it's best to pool the ideas there. I want this feature too, but want to see something worked out to keep PvP fun for that crowd.

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...Feature-Option
    Please check your trollrage or risk sounding like this when you post: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/558516

"From the splinter in the hand to the thorn in the heart, to the shotgun to the head;
    you've got no choice but to learn to glean solace from pain, or you'll end up cynical or dead"--Jim White, musician and storyteller.

+ Reply to Thread