+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Please change Parchments to Cloth

Default Please change Parchments to Cloth

Artificers started out needing Mining and Foraging for their craft. There's our 3 professions.

I don't get why we were given a new ability to create something so early on that seems to require a 4th (obviously unobtainable) profession. That would be butchery as the Parchments are currently made from leather.

It forces anyone with this profession to rely completely on the auction house, or spending pointless time on an alt gathering mats. The creation of parchment is a basic skill, not a complicated Epic Gear item. It shouldn't be something you have to run to the auction house buying mats for.

Please, change it so that the Artificers don't have to pay for their mats for such a simple, basic thing in the auction house (because we can't have a 4th profession) or have to get on an alt just to gather required materials. Cloth drops off of mobs. No extra profession involved there.

OR, why not hand it over to the Runecrafters. Last time I saw, they didn't need ANY supportive gathering professions at all. They have 2 professions free and clear to do something with.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviana View Post
    why not hand it over to the Runecrafters. Last time I saw, they didn't need ANY supportive gathering professions at all. They have 2 professions free and clear to do something with.
    After all, they need something to write their runes on, right? That's a workable idea, for sure.

Though I do understand the purpose behind this decision. The concept is, "Make friends, barter for trade goods." Personally that's one of the biggest benefits for a guild.

And inb4 "I don't like to play with other people." Scott already expressed his bewilderment at people playing an MMO who prefer Solo play. =]
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

Soulwalker

I also play as an artificer and thought this was really annoying. When you talk to the artificer NPCs they say you will need mining and foraging to be efficient. But lo and behold, a piece of PAPER requires LEATHER not WOOD? I almost think it was an error on their part, as I do not think of pieces of paper to be crafted from leather. I am sure someone can make some wierd agruement that "well scrolls back in ancient times were made from a type of leather", well forget that, paper in the modern mind is linked with wood...So please keep it limited to foraging and mining by making the requirement Yew Logs or something, as opposed to leather (butchery). I understand that trade is a necesarry part of selecting a profession, but if a runecrafter/butcher/outfitter can make magical gloves, turn them into pixie dust, and turn that pixie dust into a rune that can be put on another item they can make independantly, ALTEAST GIVE US PARCHMENT!

Quote Originally Posted by Erathsmus View Post
    I also play as an artificer and thought this was really annoying. When you talk to the artificer NPCs they say you will need mining and foraging to be efficient. But lo and behold, a piece of PAPER requires LEATHER not WOOD?
    In all fairness, parchment and vellum are produced from animal parts, not plants. If they don't hold to the fiction but cater to modern interpretations, where does that leave their lore? I'm fairly certain most people didn't even know what an Artificer was before playing this game; I certainly didn't.
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Morvick View Post
    In all fairness, parchment and vellum are produced from animal parts, not plants. If they don't hold to the fiction but cater to modern interpretations, where does that leave their lore? I'm fairly certain most people didn't even know what an Artificer was before playing this game; I certainly didn't.
    Most parchments were in fact made from animal hides, though there were some plant based and created from wood pulps. Either way, this is a game - Paper is made from wood. Parchment could be made from plant matter - don't forget papyrus.

However you look at it, we shouldn't have to rely on a 4th profession we can't obtain ourselves for our crafting.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviana View Post
    However you look at it, we shouldn't have to rely on a 4th profession we can't obtain ourselves for our crafting.
    But why not? I look at it from (I think) a very logical and community-oriented perspective, something that's not a tall order for an MMO where I regularly encounter hundreds of people throughout my playtime each day.

As an Artificer I can craft random items that Apothecaries and Outfitters need. I don't complain that I need animal bones to craft Fetishes to break down into more bones to make Augments. Just buddy up with an Apothecary and work out a trade agreement; "I'll send you all the flowers I gather if you send me all the bones you scavenge." Beautiful. And look! You made a friend!

Really I see this as a minor inconvenience at worst, and an opportunity to put yourself out there and maybe feel incentive to join a guild. You only "rely" on that person if you find you're regularly making that one set of items, which is hardly the majority of any crafting profession. I could just as easily make staffs all day, but when someone asks for Lime Powder, I heed the call.
    Last edited by Morvick; 04-19-2011 at 08:20 PM.

I shouldn't need a guild or a long friends list to craft my profession either. Some people would rather solo on some characters until they reach higher levels. That's a personal choice. There can be such a thing as independent players in an MMO. Some people - some guilds even, rather enjoy the more independent players over the ones that chronically need/want something the minute they log in.

This "suggestion" thread is about the fact that we shouldn't need the dependence of the AH, an alt or another outside source for low profession level items.

If they're going to do that for Artificers, how about making it so the following happens as well and see how it goes over:

Armorsmiths will all need Yew Planks to make a prof lvl 10 item - but wait, they already have Mining & Butchery.

Outfitters could require metals for belt buckles and plant essences for special threads, which would mean Mining & Foraging. Which one would they choose?

Weaponsmithing could suddenly call for leather as well. Perhaps the bones could be useful for something also. But they already have Mining and Foraging.

Apothecaries might need to have moonstones gathered from mining to create certain potions or sunstones for nifty explosive concoctions. But wait, don't they already have Foraging and Butchery?

Am I making my point here? I can't imagine the above scenarios would go over very well. Would people not be asking, "What is this all about? I was told that I needed X and Y gathering professions for this. Now I can't craft XYZ without a 4th profession?"

The one profession NOT listed is Runecrafting. It's the only one that does not require gathering professions to support it. I don't see why this skill wasn't given to them in the 1st place.

And I'm talking about an entry level BASIC crafted item. I fully expect that in crafting rares and epics - even better greens, you may need materials from various profession sources, but not your basic starting ones.

Erathsmus had a good suggestion though about having the parchment made from Foraging materials. It was better than my idea of cloth - more realistic at least.

+ Reply to Thread