+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Set up similar system for crafted items as for planar essences

Rift Chaser

Default Set up similar system for crafted items as for planar essences

I think everyone can agree that player crafted items are quite frankly useless for the most part except to the player that is making them. Part of the reason for this is the relative ease with which a player can obtain better gear, but also, in part, it is due to the lack of augment boxes for player created items. 1 box is simply not enough and it is such a trivial upgrade to a crafted weapon. Even with level 250 augments the best i see is a meager 4pts of increase in a particular stat.

I would love to see crafted items have a system much like the Planar essences. For example I will use Weaponsmithing. Each recipe should have a core slot and then have slots for greater and lesser augments.
    That way the crafter has much more latitude in the weapon he can create and therefore becomes much more viable to the community.

Bear in mind these slots are only available to the crafter and not after market add ons by the possessor.Core Augments can be your 250-300 Augs
    Greater Augs can be your 150 Augs
    Lesser Augs can be anything less than that.

Just to clarify, as you increase your level as a crafter you will be able to access more augment boxes and thus make much more powerful versions of a particular item.

Rift Disciple

While I appreciate the desire to let crafters "tailor" stats more for their clients, and would applaud some work done towards that goal, I suspect your suggestion about how to go about doing it isn't very reasonable.

First off, allowing 2-3 slots for additions will increase the amount of items in the database, as it were, exponentially with regards to crafted items. I won't claim to have run across all of the augments around, but even if we assume that it will be limited, tier-wise, per augment slot, we'll assume there are, say, 8 flavors (str, int, dex, wis, dodge, block, etc.).

With one augment slot, take the number of crafting recipes (excluding apothecary and runecrafter, which don't use augments at all) and multiply it by 9. That's how many possible items there are.

Now, let's add an augment slot. Instead of 9 times the crafting recipes, now we have 81 times the crafting recipes. And that's with only two! A third augment slot would bump that up to 729 times the recipes!

So, you see, that gets out of control pretty quickly, especially when you consider that at least half of those are stat combinations nobody would want. Int/block augment combinations? No.

Secondly, by going with an additive augment system, you're increasing the power of the items outright. You complain that +4 to a stat isn't much, but that's what the item's base stats have been designed around. Adding in more augments means that when people stack what they perceive as the most desirable stats, now we've got +7 (again, even if we limit the tiers), almost doubling the benefit of the augments. This will have a significant effect on itemization that I think it's naive to overlook or attempt to trivialize.

So what would I suggest instead? Either go through and re-assess the crafting recipes themselves, if it's the relative power of crafting gear you're concerned about, or look to adding some more augment types to give crafters that flexibility you said you wanted. Adding more than +4 to a stat would disrupt the item tuning from where the developers have decided they want it, but offering a split stat +2/+2 augment probably wouldn't, and would give you, the crafter, and you, the crafted item buyer, more options in what is available to you to best suit your desires.

Finally, keep in mind, in the customizeability department, that augments are only one side of the equation. There's also runes available, and an entire crafting profession dedicated to the creation of a dizzying array of them. Any adjustments you make to augments shouldn't trivialize the customizeability and increase in power runes can make available, too, when you're considering your balancing factors. You say "only +4" when you scornfully ridicule the increase in power an augment gives you, while a runecrafter says "an entire +4? That's half of a crafted item in its own right!" because his runes are +8.

Rift Chaser

Default Misunderstood

Quote Originally Posted by bitrot View Post
    While I appreciate the desire to let crafters "tailor" stats more for their clients, and would applaud some work done towards that goal, I suspect your suggestion about how to go about doing it isn't very reasonable.

First off, allowing 2-3 slots for additions will increase the amount of items in the database, as it were, exponentially with regards to crafted items. I won't claim to have run across all of the augments around, but even if we assume that it will be limited, tier-wise, per augment slot, we'll assume there are, say, 8 flavors (str, int, dex, wis, dodge, block, etc.).

With one augment slot, take the number of crafting recipes (excluding apothecary and runecrafter, which don't use augments at all) and multiply it by 9. That's how many possible items there are.

Now, let's add an augment slot. Instead of 9 times the crafting recipes, now we have 81 times the crafting recipes. And that's with only two! A third augment slot would bump that up to 729 times the recipes!

So, you see, that gets out of control pretty quickly, especially when you consider that at least half of those are stat combinations nobody would want. Int/block augment combinations? No.

Secondly, by going with an additive augment system, you're increasing the power of the items outright. You complain that +4 to a stat isn't much, but that's what the item's base stats have been designed around. Adding in more augments means that when people stack what they perceive as the most desirable stats, now we've got +7 (again, even if we limit the tiers), almost doubling the benefit of the augments. This will have a significant effect on itemization that I think it's naive to overlook or attempt to trivialize.

So what would I suggest instead? Either go through and re-assess the crafting recipes themselves, if it's the relative power of crafting gear you're concerned about, or look to adding some more augment types to give crafters that flexibility you said you wanted. Adding more than +4 to a stat would disrupt the item tuning from where the developers have decided they want it, but offering a split stat +2/+2 augment probably wouldn't, and would give you, the crafter, and you, the crafted item buyer, more options in what is available to you to best suit your desires.

Finally, keep in mind, in the customizeability department, that augments are only one side of the equation. There's also runes available, and an entire crafting profession dedicated to the creation of a dizzying array of them. Any adjustments you make to augments shouldn't trivialize the customizeability and increase in power runes can make available, too, when you're considering your balancing factors. You say "only +4" when you scornfully ridicule the increase in power an augment gives you, while a runecrafter says "an entire +4? That's half of a crafted item in its own right!" because his runes are +8.
    What I am saying is that each recipe comes with the same predetermined slots and access to the number of slots is based on your crafting level.

I use the planar essesnce as an example. I also didn't say that you have to use different augs either. you can use all the same augs. The point being is that the crafter has the ability to craft a weapon that rivals what is found through quests and dungeons. This makes his trade both viable and profitable. Some people have trouble finding groups or just don't want to invest the time in doing dungeons in hopes of getting something good. My method is a win/win situation for all. The fact that a level 250 aug only boosts one stat by 4pts is pretty rediculous. You may not like the execution of my idea but there is simply no arguing that a single augment box is either fair or a good idea.

+ Reply to Thread