+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rifts are not doing what they need to do

Ascendant

Default Rifts are not doing what they need to do

Someone started a thread here on the fact that nobody bothers with rifts because the rewards are not all that great. the thread turned into a pissing match about gear so I'm starting this one.

The problem with rifts as I see it is there are no real consequences for skipping them. at some point in the betas the rifts and foothold were changed to go away after a set amount of time, this was not good.

Last night, twice, I happened to show up at minor quest hubs and there were footholds there so I had to take them out to do what I needed to do. It was a good thing.

Make them stay until someone deals with them. The argument that low level zones would become overun and unplayable is just not true, players would take them out if they need to. The two footholds I took out were my level, I pulled one at a time and then took it out. It was fun and doable.

Since Epic shards don't drop, planarite becomes useless really quickly at 50. I read a post the other day saying 30,000 was the limit on planarite and checked and sure enough I had 30,000 planarite.

I bought all the pets and resistance runes recipes and everything else I could get my hands on and still had a lot of planarite left, so yeah, I have no reason to do Rifts anymore, they have become merely a nuisance.

Both Nestran and Shriker have a point. Rifts are too trivial and unimportant and on 50 there is no real incentive to doing them. They aren't even fun anymore, considering they are all the same.

My suggestions:

*No despawn,
    *The possibility to acquire epic stones for ... hmm.. let's say 25k planarite a piece.
    *More challenging rift mechanics
    *More rewards for completing rifts.. maybe the possibility to acquire rift sets: http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...hlight=artwork
    *true dynamic rifts, not the static, random mob dispensers they are today. For example: http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...eps-forward%29

I agree, remove the Despawn of Invasions / Rifts. Even if there is a technical reason for doing this (free up Server thinking space?), I must implore the opinion that the Rifts and Invasions will be much improved if I can't just wait them out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

Rift Master

If they do this they need to do one change.

When on Bonus Stages they need to be given a despawn on the final boss. There's been a couple times I've gotten to the final boss and walked away for like 15-60 minutes until ti gave me the reward since I was not capable of fighting the boss or finding someone else that'd help me out.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowclaimer View Post
    If they do this they need to do one change.

When on Bonus Stages they need to be given a despawn on the final boss. There's been a couple times I've gotten to the final boss and walked away for like 15-60 minutes until ti gave me the reward since I was not capable of fighting the boss or finding someone else that'd help me out.
    Alternatively, if the boss doesn't get killed in a certain amount of time.. he could start roaming the landscape and attack the towns, invasion style.

At L50, I rift all the time, it the only way to get lots of sellable loot. Most minor rifts I can solo all stages, but one or two I can't so I let the timer run out on the level before.

I get Dusts which sell for 2pp each or convert them into white or black dye, and every 500 planitate I get, I trade in for Augments which sell for 2-10pp each.

The only way to keep my alts feed is for my L50's to farm rifts
    I have a big family of alts to feed, they grow up so fast and want nice new purple clothes.
    Last edited by Natjur; 04-19-2011 at 03:14 PM.

i think the #1 problem is since Ancient Sourcestones (aka epic shards) never drop people feel less and less compelled to do invasions/rifts. Trion needs to fix this if they want players to continue to have incentive to take part in what the game is essentially marketed around. Make it so they don't only drop from the major invasion bosses that rarely if EVER happen on some servers, even then, in the cases they do happen they don't drop most of the time... equivalent to never dropping basically.

not only that, i believe most high tier gear attainable out does these epic shard necessary items anyway?
    so, ummmm... shooting themselves in the foot for endgame rift incentives. i do em for fun these days, don't need planarite... so... faction i guess? lol, that grind is getting old fast. 1 month in.

everything else is still pretty fun imho. even the limited pvp.

Byriel - Guardians - The Brethren - DH 4/4 - GP 4/4 - GSB 5/5 - RoS 5/5 - RotP 4/4 - HK 11/11 - iD 1/8
    Weekend HK PuG! http://brethrenrift.enjin.com/forum/...eekend-hk-runs

Batousi, 50 Warrior ~ Bomah, 50 Cleric ~ Kusanagi, 50 Rogue ~ Fuu, LvLing Mage

I completely agree that Rifts shouldn't despawn, and although I can't speak for Rifts at max level, I believe they should offer better rewards, therefore they can be utilized at all levels.

I took the spirit of this suggestion/complaint, and expanded upon it. =]

Rifts that grow

Instead of a timer until they disappear... why not a timer until they become more powerful? =D
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

Shadowlander

I have to agree... haven't hit the palarite cap yet (keep buying augments), but I rarely do rifts and only bother with events / invasion if I happen to get caught in them... Rifts / events need to be far more epic at 50 and the rewards need to better... like plaques of achievement, but in rift form

I have a level 42 sitting at over 20k Planarite with not a single piece of epic planarite gear because of lack of major invasions. The only reason she even has blue planarite gear is because I went around and did ALL of the Ancient Wardstone quests in Scarwood for the Vile Sourceshards. I never would have had enough based on rift events alone for more than maybe one piece.

I think the idea of rift activity being based on zone population was a good idea in theory, but not so much in practice. Consider that many servers have adopted player made channels to let each other know when and where invasions are happening. Just because a zone doesn't technically have the required population to spawn a major invasion doesn't mean that if one happened people wouldn't flock to the zone to assist.

I also notice that 50s grinding rift rep do it in the starter zones. This is also a problem not only for level 50 zone activity, but for low level players who are being robbed of content.

As an aside, I miss the contribution bar. I understand that my contribution isn't measured against others, but I still liked having an idea of whether or not I needed to do more for better rewards. Sometimes I see people get blue shards at rifts and don't understand why I didn't get one too. If I had a meter to look at and saw I barely broke bronze contribution then I'd know.

Ascendant

I agree that there needs to be bigger consequences for leaving rifts sitting out there too long. There also needs to be way way more Major rifts as it feels about 95% are just Minors.

Though invaders do manage to get out of a Rift and survive long enough to set up a foothold or two from time to time (most invading parties can be solo'd so that's kind of rare) the foothold itself just isn't any kind of threat. It's solo'd without any kind of difficulty at all before anything really comes of it

In my opinion Rift needs to get back to the idea it had with them in the first place. Ignore all rifts, footholds and invaders for too long and the situation should fast start spiralling out of control. It was like that in Beta; when a quest hib got taken over by invaders it often took a real concerted effort to retake it. Since invaders now despawn after 2 minutes of hitting their objective that doesn't happen anymore. It's too trivial to get back even when solo.

Lack of rwards is also a big problem yes. You end up drowning in Planarite by lv50 with little to nothing to spend it on as you've got the few blues, recipes, pets etc you may have liked but purples seem to be non-existant.
    Last edited by Kedon; 04-20-2011 at 08:23 AM.

Soulwalker

The ideas here, and in the thread linked above, were awesome. Trion, please do these things.

Signed,
    Demandred, Briarcliff

Quote Originally Posted by Rakanishu View Post
    Alternatively, if the boss doesn't get killed in a certain amount of time.. he could start roaming the landscape and attack the towns, invasion style.
    Rifts do not actually feel dynamic, they spawn in set places, and do the same thing over and over.

This suggestion would actaully add a more dynamic feel
    <The League of Monster Slayers>

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast