+ Reply to Thread

Thread: When You Try To Please Everyone...

Default When You Try To Please Everyone...

You Please No One.

This is a suggestion thread, but will address an issue I see that happened last weekend. I'm not going to about the World Event. I'm not going to that Phase 2 lasted only 20 minutes on my server (Byriel.)

I will say this. It was said that the World Event was designed in a way to not hinder people whom didn't want to participate. I think that was the problem right there. Phase 2 was so far scaled back and Phase 1 (while had very cool elements) felt like it operated in a vacuum.

This game is also an RPG. A world event needs to involve every aspect of gaming to run successful. It needs to 'feel' to the player that something big is happening.

Now what I would of done for Phase 2. I would of had Alsbeth march from Droughtlands up through Freemarch across the land. Have her reach the gates of Meridian and spawn invasion after invasion of mixed level mobs ranging from 1-50. Have her be defeated/pushed back (presumably by level 50s) and have to re-spawn up by Sanctum. Have her do the same thing there and have her be pushed back. Then let her march to Stillmoore with her army. Continuing to spawn invasions.
    Players of all level could follow. They could attack or keep their distance. They could form raids to try and attack the army. She reaches her destination and Phase 3 triggers. Rifts open everywhere and the instance bosses you put in Phase 2 could show up. Make it a requirement to save the wardstones/close rifts like before along with killing the bosses. She is vanquished and repelled back to the River of Souls.

I addressed an issue. Suggested how I would of done it differently. Now here is my suggestion Trion for the future.

If you are going to do another World Event, everyone needs to be involved.

If it operates in a vacuum because you are concerned some people might not want to be inconvenienced, your event will be lacking.

Which in my opinion is the major critique people had with your first one.

Quote Originally Posted by jadakin View Post
    You Please No One.

This is a suggestion thread, but will address an issue I see that happened last weekend. I'm not going to about the World Event. I'm not going to that Phase 2 lasted only 20 minutes on my server (Byriel.)

I will say this. It was said that the World Event was designed in a way to not hinder people whom didn't want to participate. I think that was the problem right there. Phase 2 was so far scaled back and Phase 1 (while had very cool elements) felt like it operated in a vacuum.

This game is also an RPG. A world event needs to involve every aspect of gaming to run successful. It needs to 'feel' to the player that something big is happening.

Now what I would of done for Phase 2. I would of had Alsbeth march from Droughtlands up through Freemarch across the land. Have her reach the gates of Meridian and spawn invasion after invasion of mixed level mobs ranging from 1-50. Have her be defeated/pushed back (presumably by level 50s) and have to re-spawn up by Sanctum. Have her do the same thing there and have her be pushed back. Then let her march to Stillmoore with her army. Continuing to spawn invasions.
    Players of all level could follow. They could attack or keep their distance. They could form raids to try and attack the army. She reaches her destination and Phase 3 triggers. Rifts open everywhere and the instance bosses you put in Phase 2 could show up. Make it a requirement to save the wardstones/close rifts like before along with killing the bosses. She is vanquished and repelled back to the River of Souls.

I addressed an issue. Suggested how I would of done it differently. Now here is my suggestion Trion for the future.

If you are going to do another World Event, everyone needs to be involved.

If it operates in a vacuum because you are concerned some people might not want to be inconvenienced, your event will be lacking.

Which in my opinion is the major critique people had with your first one.
    Trion admitted they messed up and said what they'd be trying to do differently in 2 threads,

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...ips-and-Status

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...d-Event-Wrapup
    * Im trapped under a huge pile of patch notes! Send help!
    * Werewolves can now be Butchered.
    * The Im Stuck button will stop getting stuck after 24 hours has passed. The irony of this is not lost on us, either.
    * Death Rift: Eternal Souls: You know that dragon that had wings but liked to walk a lot? He flies now!
    * Major zone events should fire off more often and the mythical purple zone event currencies should rain from the sky! Okay, maybe not rain - but they'll be more common than they have been recently.

Quote Originally Posted by JugglingFool04 View Post
    Trion admitted they messed up and said what they'd be trying to do differently in 2 threads,

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...ips-and-Status

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...d-Event-Wrapup
    Not really. Other than making the phases longer, that's the only real thing they said they'd do differently. Spreading out a zone event time wise and calling it a world event is not an ideal situation. Players are expecting more and they need to know what it is they made players feel underwhelmed. This is something that needs to be addressed and I suggested one way that they could use their toolbox to accomplish that goal, while making the content feel fresh.

Not really. Other than making the phases longer, that's the only real thing they said they'd do differently. Spreading out a zone event time wise and calling it a world event is not an ideal situation. Players are expecting more and they need to know what it is they made players feel underwhelmed. This is something that needs to be addressed and I suggested one way that they could use their toolbox to accomplish that goal, while making the content feel fresh.
    A agree. I'm just saying they've already heard and acknowledged that even prior to them launching it in NA.

"In general:

Our servers are good at handling mass events with tons of people in the same zone -- But thousands of people attacking the very same creature does get more than a little hairy. (Though the events will progress.)

We're already taking what we've learned over the last week and today into account as we work on the next set of world events, and will be designing them such that full-server-population flashmobs aren't quite as likely to occur - Both for fun factor and performance."

^Says 1- learning that means they're actively looking to change what they did 2-Addresses your comment on everyone needing to be involved in part (Reducing flashmobs to prevent server instability and queuing thus letting everyone get on to play/have fun)

Equally importantly for the future, we'll be ensuring there are more phases that each last longer , and a more clear progression, to maximize everyone's chance of participating.

^As you said, states longer phases, but also says Everyone's chance of participating again your comment of everyone needing to be involved and clear progression meaning that it likely will be more than just zone events. They seem to imply smooth progression from one phase to another, just like you described, perhaps with mini-events or NPC event sequences.

Those are our goals -- Fun, rewarding events you can look forward to, and don't have to reorder your life around in order to attend. With your continued help and feedback, we'll definitely get there.

^Again fun and not having to set your life around it means more available to players.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartsman View Post
    In this case, while we did get to "what's possible" we didn't get to "solid gameplay for the entire game universe." The later phases of the event were too concentrated and time-compressed, which caused issues on a number of worlds.

Ambition is important -- It's what keeps us improving day to day, week to week, month to month. But, it's equally important to know when you walked too close to the edge and got cut.

Between our previous experience with zone events and now with world events, we have a much better idea of the range we can create "fun" for at a mass scale in the future, and the steps we need to take to continue progressing the more solid gameplay experiences that only happen in RIFT.

As I had posted earlier, our next world events will already be taking everything we learned, as well as all of your comments about the event, into account. Please do keep them coming -- I guarantee we're here reading them all, weekend or not.

As developers, none of us are happy when anyone who chooses to spend their valuable time in our game feels like they got the short end of our aspirations.

To that end, even if something goes great for some, when it doesn't go great for all, we're going to go out of our way to make it up in some way wherever we can.

We do thank you for your patience with us during this first ever World Event. We know that patience isn't infinite. We do respect that fact greatly, and you have our word that we're listening and reacting smartly for the next round.

- Scott
    All of the {shortened} quote above points towards them wanting to improve and that they felt they fell short.

Apart from that it's hard to tell from you OP exactly what it is you're suggesting so idk how directly they address the issues you have in mind. Perhaps if you could bullet point your main suggestions it would help me understand why you don't feel this answered them.
    * The Im Stuck button will stop getting stuck after 24 hours has passed. The irony of this is not lost on us, either.
    * Death Rift: Eternal Souls: You know that dragon that had wings but liked to walk a lot? He flies now!
    * Major zone events should fire off more often and the mythical purple zone event currencies should rain from the sky! Okay, maybe not rain - but they'll be more common than they have been recently.

Quote Originally Posted by JugglingFool04 View Post

Apart from that it's hard to tell from you OP exactly what it is you're suggesting so idk how directly they address the issues you have in mind. Perhaps if you could bullet point your main suggestions it would help me understand why you don't feel this answered them.
    My OP means that it can't just be a zone event in each zone. This is what is to be expected.
    They need to alter quests or location of NPCs. Have the mobs respond differently than expected. Have scripted events in multiple areas for a large majority of players to have a chance to experience.

Bullet Points:

*multiple scripted scenes in different zones
    *mob responses that relate to the story.
    *involve everyone. Do not isolate the world event to key areas to prevent interruption of the norm.
    *fully commit to the world event in story and real substantial results to event taking place.

My OP means that it can't just be a zone event in each zone. This is what is to be expected.
    They need to alter quests or location of NPCs. Have the mobs respond differently than expected. Have scripted events in multiple areas for a large majority of players to have a chance to experience.

Bullet Points:

*multiple scripted scenes in different zones
    *mob responses that relate to the story.
    *involve everyone. Do not isolate the world event to key areas to prevent interruption of the norm.
    *fully commit to the world event in story and real substantial results to event taking place.

Those all sound like great ideas and I hope Trion implements them

+ Reply to Thread