+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "Look, a Rift!"

Telaran

Default "Look, a Rift!"

Remember that line?

That lasted a few months, and now. People ignore rifts for the most part (unless there's a world event going on, that rewards special currency to buy special things). but for the most part, rifts are near useless till level 50. Where you go back to level 1 rifts to grind out reputation....

This is a problem.

It's not that Rifts are mind numbingly boring till you get to raid rifts. The design is great. But it's just like hunting any other mobs. "What about Planarite!" What about it!? You out level planarite gear so quickly, plus, it's not even needed!! The mobs are cake as it is. It's just fun gear to get, sure, but farming for it takes even longer now when there's 1-2 people hunting Rifts. You get so little Planarite for completing a really boring Rift.

How do you fix it? Honestly, I don't know. I'm not a developer or architect. But you need to implement something that makes us go "Look, a rift!" Give solo rifters insentive to continue searching for rifts, other than grinding Reputation for a purple squirrel. I quit WoW, I don't need anymore pets...

I don't know if giving more rewards is the right way to attack this issue. That seems like the easy way out, which is what is killing WoW right now. So much free ****.

But there NEEEEEEDS to be some sort of motiv to WANT TO FIND RIFTS!!!!!! We've all played the Linear Quest games, we've all played the Grind 100000 mobs for this semi-shiny sword games. Don't make us go through it again! Make Rifting a fun community driven event, again! Just like opening day.

Save the Rifts...Save Rift.

Quote Originally Posted by Etris View Post
    But it's just like hunting any other mobs. "What about Planarite!" What about it!? You out level planarite gear so quickly, plus, it's not even needed!!
    Outlevel Planarite? Oh really? What raid dungeon do you get a 4/2 slot Essence belt from? What raid dungeon do you get a trinket that summons a Soul Healer from?

Please!
    Retired from the forum community 12/19/2017

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Machiko_Naguchi View Post
    Outlevel Planarite? Oh really?
    You know what he's referring to, the 'blue' and 'purple' gear that by the time you've amassed the needed plainarite and the shards you've moved on: not to mention I've never seen a single purple shard even though I've done literally scores of rifts since Head Start, many blues, never a purple.
    Last edited by Kerin; 04-19-2011 at 06:03 AM.

Telaran

Outlevel Planarite? Oh really? What raid dungeon do you get a 4/2 slot Essence belt from? What raid dungeon do you get a trinket that summons a Soul Healer from?

Please!
    Like I said....Rifts are useless till 50, Sherlock.

But thanks for trying to keep Rifts the way they are...boring and useless.

Soulwalker

Default easy then

well maybe its got nothing to do with the gear or the stuff u get to buy the gear if ur under level 50 maybe they need to up the exp u get from rift hunting that way u feel like its a real reward and giving a good load of exp to that nice lowbies will feel that hes trying getting some thing nice for his time, just a though thats all.

Remember that line?

That lasted a few months, and now. People ignore rifts for the most part (unless there's a world event going on, that rewards special currency to buy special things). but for the most part, rifts are near useless till level 50. Where you go back to level 1 rifts to grind out reputation....

This is a problem.

It's not that Rifts are mind numbingly boring till you get to raid rifts. The design is great. But it's just like hunting any other mobs. "What about Planarite!" What about it!? You out level planarite gear so quickly, plus, it's not even needed!! The mobs are cake as it is. It's just fun gear to get, sure, but farming for it takes even longer now when there's 1-2 people hunting Rifts. You get so little Planarite for completing a really boring Rift.

How do you fix it? Honestly, I don't know. I'm not a developer or architect. But you need to implement something that makes us go "Look, a rift!" Give solo rifters insentive to continue searching for rifts, other than grinding Reputation for a purple squirrel. I quit WoW, I don't need anymore pets...

I don't know if giving more rewards is the right way to attack this issue. That seems like the easy way out, which is what is killing WoW right now. So much free ****.

But there NEEEEEEDS to be some sort of motiv to WANT TO FIND RIFTS!!!!!! We've all played the Linear Quest games, we've all played the Grind 100000 mobs for this semi-shiny sword games. Don't make us go through it again! Make Rifting a fun community driven event, again! Just like opening day.

Save the Rifts...Save Rift.
    I've actually been finding a few people interested in Rift hunting just by going to close a rift, then marking another on the map before people leave the group. Some go anyway but sometimes a few stay and I've actually had some really nice groups created for rift hopping in an area like this.

Instead of increasing rewards (there are alot of them in this game already from all sorts of things) I would be interested in an optional XP reduction that could let you choose to level slower. To me that would let people who wanted to not outlevel gear or take things slow actually have rewards like the planarite/sourceshard gear mean something instead of only getting enough after they're no longer useful. Thus giving an incentive to actually close rifts to get them.

It would also still allow players who don't want to bother with that, and just want to get to 50 ASAP still do that, since many of them likely wouldn't be too interested in doing rifts anyway if 50 is their goal.
    * Iím trapped under a huge pile of patch notes! Send help!
    * Werewolves can now be Butchered.
    * The ĎIím Stuckí button will stop getting stuck after 24 hours has passed. The irony of this is not lost on us, either.
    * Death Rift: Eternal Souls: You know that dragon that had wings but liked to walk a lot? He flies now!
    * Major zone events should fire off more often and the mythical purple zone event currencies should rain from the sky! Okay, maybe not rain - but they'll be more common than they have been recently.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by JugglingFool04 View Post
    I've actually been finding a few people interested in Rift hunting just by going to close a rift, then marking another on the map before people leave the group. Some go anyway but sometimes a few stay and I've actually had some really nice groups created for rift hopping in an area like this.

Instead of increasing rewards (there are alot of them in this game already from all sorts of things) I would be interested in an optional XP reduction that could let you choose to level slower. To me that would let people who wanted to not outlevel gear or take things slow actually have rewards like the planarite/sourceshard gear mean something instead of only getting enough after they're no longer useful. Thus giving an incentive to actually close rifts to get them.

It would also still allow players who don't want to bother with that, and just want to get to 50 ASAP still do that, since many of them likely wouldn't be too interested in doing rifts anyway if 50 is their goal.
    There's nothing entertaining about hunting goblins over and over. Even if you add in 10 people helping you.

"Thus"

There's nothing entertaining about hunting fire / air / earth / death / life rifts, over and over. Once you've seen the same mechanic - same mobs - 100 times. There's no FUN in it.

That's fine! What's not fine, is there's NO INCENTIVE TO DO THEM. We know that it'll be boring, but atleast give us something out of it. Otherwise, we'll run right past them. 10-30 planarite per 10 minute rift is a waste of my time, and frankly, everone's time. Sure, if we had 20 people on the rift like opening day we'd be making 200 planarite, getting gear from planarite vendors as-we-level. But right now, you really need to stop questing and farm rifts to get an ok blue peice that will be replaced very soon.

Give players a better reason to search for rifts. That will increase players AT the rifts - increasing planarite and community.

Again, I don'tknow what will fix this. But as of now it's incredibly stale and boring. I'm more likely to log off after doing rifts than I am questing. And questing is REALLY boring lol.

Gear based on the amount of rifts you have closed...

Making rifts go totally out of control during any phase. A minor rift turning into a major one or maybe even exploding and just a ton of mobs just totally take control of a area.

Also, if a rift becomes unclosed, then let there be dire consquences from it. Alsbeth dropped that rift for a reason and not for it to go away because nobody attacked it in XXX amount of minutes.

Alsbeth, "Foiled again.... maybe next time I won't put that rift in the middle of nowhere with a timer attached to it."

I would love to log into the game and just see total chaos!!!! I would love to have to fight just to regain our capitol because we left a rift open for to long and Meridian is being destroyed.

Like I said....Rifts are useless till 50, Sherlock.

But thanks for trying to keep Rifts the way they are...boring and useless.
    I ALREADY got my 6 slot belt and more than half way to the Soul Mender, and I'm 1 bar away from 47, SHERLOCK.

Just because you don't see a need for the use of Planarite, doesn't mean there isn't any ... and no, they just aren't "For level 50s only".

But there NEEEEEEDS to be some sort of motiv to WANT TO FIND RIFTS!!!!!!
    You mean like a world event, say called "River of Souls", where you need to hunt down death rifts and invasions so you can close them and kill the monsters that invade them so you can get a whole host of rewards, including Purple Ultra Rares?

You mean like that?

Sorry, you obviously haven't thought this thread or this topic out. Try opening your eyes and see how all the parts fit together, and stop being so myopic in your posting.
    Last edited by Proclus_Lycaeus; 04-19-2011 at 08:16 AM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by valmour View Post
    Also, if a rift becomes unclosed, then let there be dire consquences from it. Alsbeth dropped that rift for a reason and not for it to go away because nobody attacked it in XXX amount of minutes..
    This is a good concept. I didn't think of that!

However, the spawn rate on rifts would have to lower. Because as of now, On my level 50, I can steam roll level 1-10 rifts for reputation, but I can't kill them all on the map before they start respawning.

So eventually one would be up too long. Which is good and all, but I feel like it'd happen a lot with the spawn rates.

This is a good concept. I didn't think of that!

However, the spawn rate on rifts would have to lower. Because as of now, On my level 50, I can steam roll level 1-10 rifts for reputation, but I can't kill them all on the map before they start respawning.

So eventually one would be up too long. Which is good and all, but I feel like it'd happen a lot with the spawn rates.
    True but this would force people to want to close them, even the people who just want to quest. I am sure this would spawn guilds that just went around looking for rifts.

There's nothing entertaining about hunting goblins over and over. Even if you add in 10 people helping you.

"Thus"

There's nothing entertaining about hunting fire / air / earth / death / life rifts, over and over. Once you've seen the same mechanic - same mobs - 100 times. There's no FUN in it.

That's fine! What's not fine, is there's NO INCENTIVE TO DO THEM. We know that it'll be boring, but atleast give us something out of it. Otherwise, we'll run right past them. 10-30 planarite per 10 minute rift is a waste of my time, and frankly, everone's time. Sure, if we had 20 people on the rift like opening day we'd be making 200 planarite, getting gear from planarite vendors as-we-level. But right now, you really need to stop questing and farm rifts to get an ok blue peice that will be replaced very soon.

Give players a better reason to search for rifts. That will increase players AT the rifts - increasing planarite and community.

Again, I don'tknow what will fix this. But as of now it's incredibly stale and boring. I'm more likely to log off after doing rifts than I am questing. And questing is REALLY boring lol.
    What I was trying to do was give a possible idea for a fix.

What I tried to say (middle paragraph) was instead of putting more rewards in (the game already has a lot from questing, instances, planar goods vendors, PvP vendors), maybe they could make the rewards more useful (by optionally reducing leveling rate). That would make the planarite rewards that are already there more available and worth more to players since they could get longer use out of them.
    * Iím trapped under a huge pile of patch notes! Send help!
    * Werewolves can now be Butchered.
    * The ĎIím Stuckí button will stop getting stuck after 24 hours has passed. The irony of this is not lost on us, either.
    * Death Rift: Eternal Souls: You know that dragon that had wings but liked to walk a lot? He flies now!
    * Major zone events should fire off more often and the mythical purple zone event currencies should rain from the sky! Okay, maybe not rain - but they'll be more common than they have been recently.

Telaran

I ALREADY got my 6 slot belt and more than half way to the Soul Mender, and I'm 1 bar away from 47, SHERLOCK.

Just because you don't see a need for the use of Planarite, doesn't mean there isn't any ... and no, they just aren't "For level 50s only".

You mean like a world event, say called "River of Souls", where you need to hunt down death rifts and invasions so you can close them and kill the monsters that invade them so you can get a whole host of rewards, including Purple Ultra Rares?

You mean like that?

Sorry, you obviously haven't thought this thread or this topic out. Try opening your eyes and see how all the parts fit together, and stop being so myopic in your posting.
    ROFL

Um, ok so both the belt and the mender aren't needed till 50....again...I'll repeat ... you don't need them till 50....You can level 1-50 without a planar focus and not even notice it...because it's EASY TO LEVEL. Majority of the population hit level 50 after the first 2 weeks of release....that's a poorly made game. The first guild to kill the final boss of the initial content patch was within the first month...that's a poorly made game.

AND YES THATS THE WORLD EVENT I WAS REFERING TO! You're VERY SMART.

The rifts worked on initial release...they no longer work till you're 50, and even then they're ******edly boring to grind (at 50).

This is a problem....

Trion needs to update rifting.

Majority of the population hit level 50 after the first 2 weeks of release....
    I'd love to see your facts on that one.

Oh wait, you don't have any, just ASSumptions.

BTW, have you ever heard of these nifty things called "Raid Rifts"? Rumor has it, they are for very high level characters (usually around 50) and they are a lot more challenging. Every try one of them?

/sarcasm

Again, you are very myopic.
    Last edited by Proclus_Lycaeus; 04-19-2011 at 08:26 AM.

Um, ok so both the belt and the mender aren't needed till 50....again...I'll repeat ... you don't need them till 50...
    You didn't say "aren't needed till 50" in your initial post, you said "Out Leveled".

That isn't even CLOSE to the same thing.

The 6 slot belt and the Soul Mender are NEVER "Out Leveled". By your own admission in your second post, you now say they aren't needed until 50, which implies they are needed at level 50. Since there is no level 51, it is IMPOSSIBLE to "Out Level" them.

So please, don't jump down my throat because you can't formulate an idea and are changing your position on a subject when someone calls you on it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast