+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sollution against goldsellers/spam already exists!

Soulwalker

Default Sollution against goldsellers/spam already exists!

EVE is using it, and it is working splendid.

You can purchase gametimecards on their account page, then redeem them ingame as an actual item.

That item if bought by a player will yield you 30 days of gametime. Hence, if you are really good at making ingame money, you can play the game for free. If you have little playtime and don't have time to farm plat, you can spend your irl money to buy gametime and sell it ingame.

For trion it doesn't matter, they still get payed for the accounts, only that some pay for 2 while others pay for 1.

The reason this takes care of goldsellers is cause they can't really compete with the prices. They automatically adjust to a level both parts are happy with.

Not exactly sure how it would be implemented in Rift, but i do know it works GREAT in EVE and i would be happy to see it. It could also get the market a bit more balanced. At the moment alot of the materials are going out there for HUGE amounts of plat even though they are quite easy to get.

Yeh-yeh i know, "go farm them then" on the other hand i'm not ranting about not having plat ;)

The thing with the economy is that there are too few things to "trade" with. Someone can easily buy up all the say heavy leather without getting butthurt in the wallet. Then relist em to a higher price and keep doing it. Raising the price so much that selling 1 stack pays for buying up 4 new when they appear at the "real" price. Simple economics i use alot in EVE making it easy to pay for 3 accounts with pure ingame money. But the amount of items being traded here isn't as plentiful so it hurts the market.

Not an issue at the moment, but i suspect it will be, don't mention WoW, cause the economics there is **** and Blizz seems to think that making people earn gold faster will solve it, bleh to them.

Anyways, just my 2 silvercoins

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Xira View Post
    EVE is using it, and it is working splendid.

You can purchase gametimecards on their account page, then redeem them ingame as an actual item.

That item if bought by a player will yield you 30 days of gametime. Hence, if you are really good at making ingame money, you can play the game for free. If you have little playtime and don't have time to farm plat, you can spend your irl money to buy gametime and sell it ingame.

For trion it doesn't matter, they still get payed for the accounts, only that some pay for 2 while others pay for 1.

The reason this takes care of goldsellers is cause they can't really compete with the prices. They automatically adjust to a level both parts are happy with.

Not exactly sure how it would be implemented in Rift, but i do know it works GREAT in EVE and i would be happy to see it. It could also get the market a bit more balanced. At the moment alot of the materials are going out there for HUGE amounts of plat even though they are quite easy to get.

Yeh-yeh i know, "go farm them then" on the other hand i'm not ranting about not having plat ;)

Anyways, just my 2 silvercoins
    Sounds like an idea I have had rolling around in my head. Not that I ever played EVE. But my last mmo did stop selling time cards at locale stores. Which many players rely on to pay for their game time. This would have solve the issue for some of them.

On the other hand. Grinding gold to pay for my game time does not sound like a second job. I would like to take up.

Orrrr... we can just not buy gold from farmers? Seems simpler, no?

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu View Post
    Blasphemy! In today's culture of "gimme gimme mine mine" and "GIVE NOW OR I QUIT!" how could you even suggest a logical course of action?

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Xira View Post
    Sollution against goldsellers/spam already exists!
    Actually the best way is for Trion to ban the BUYERS and make a big public show of it .. of course, they're too scared to do that, but unless they put the fear of God into someone that they'll lose their account and the items they bought for cash then RMT will continue to have a market.

Quote Originally Posted by Ribbet View Post
    Blasphemy! In today's culture of "gimme gimme mine mine" and "GIVE NOW OR I QUIT!" how could you even suggest a logical course of action?
    I was weak! My apologies. Surely there could be a better solution to combat gold farming other than not giving them business.

Maybe there could be a way where we could not support such a business by not being consumers to their services. But how?

Maybe there could be a way where we could not support such a business by not being consumers to their services. But how?
    Repeat after me.. Deferred Gratification. And then play the game and earn the Plat for the stuff you want.. Simple
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
    It is difficult to argue with a whole generation of self entitled petulant children with a battle cry taken from Veruca Salt.

Rift Master

I was weak! My apologies. Surely there could be a better solution to combat gold farming other than not giving them business.

A serious answer:

I've been an advocate and supporter of zero tolerance for a long time. I bought adena in Lineage 2 back when the game was less than a year old. I was new to MMOs, didn't know it was bannable and was overwhelmed by the prices of items sold by both players and vendors compared to the rate at which you gained money. Then I moved to WoW while it was still in beta and I saw what a MMO could be like without the grind. Since then, I've developed a dislike for farmers/sellers.

I understand the tactic of following the chain to the big boss, but that doesn't really work quite the same in a game as it does in real life. The developers have records (or the ability to keep records) of ever transaction and mail. It would not be difficult, by that method, to shut down the "banks" and "bosses". The bots are a different matter and I understand and (partly) support the way they're handled. But it truly is not difficult to track the economy and the banks of the farmers/sellers. Shut those down daily (sadly, yes daily) and you dry up the market very quickly. Start with the biggest banks and move down.

Why this approach is not used, I don't know.

I so agree with you however the reality is there are and will be those who can not fathom the idea of working for or earning things even in a game. The * I am entitled * or * if I am not the best, fastest, greatest I am a nobody* types who will lie and cheat to be better than... Who? I do not know really.

Sad that game companies can not count on honest players to play and not ruin the economy of the game they put their blood, sweat, tears, and rl cash into but that is how it is in the world today.

I know one game put in some sorta of filter that would catch large sums of game currency being exchanged but not sure how it would work.

What is frustrating it is the honest players who will suffer over the cheaters.
    Last edited by Kulta; 04-19-2011 at 06:59 AM.
    Have you ever wanted to?

+ Reply to Thread