+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: [Suggestion] Please remove the "Need" option from container drops

Soulwalker

Default [Suggestion] Please remove the "Need" option from container drops

There's another thread going about the Need/Greed conflict for class-specific drops, but that's not getting my goat so much as this one. Almost invariably, when a puresource container drops in a public quest, there's the one player who "needs" this completely random and unknown item.

Is there really a point to even having the "Need" option there? It's random. Need just becomes an insta-ninja expression of greed. Those of us who play by the rules, well...we're not seeing many of these containers arrive in our own inventory after a rift is closed.

(Thought this was going into the Suggestion forum, sorry!)
    Last edited by Sonnakra; 04-19-2011 at 05:15 AM.

aux

You don't need planar loot?

rule of thumb, in public groups(but NOT PUGs) need EVERYTHING. because everyone else is.
    enyo - defiant warrior seastone.
    gundam - defiant rogue seastone.

Plane Touched

I don't know if you played WoW but its customary to need on:
    Cosmetic loot
    Bags
    Containers that may or may not contain good loot
    Etc.

It is no biggie, just roll need too.. it essentially gives you the same chance to getting it as the person who needed.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by NerdyByNature View Post
    Cosmetic loot
    Bags
    Etc.

It is no biggie, just roll need too.. it essentially gives you the same chance to getting it as the person who needed.
    Not entirely true. In WoW, they eventually removed the "Need" option on frozen orbs because of what we're experiencing now with puresource containers. It's people that select "Need" on things like this why I always wait to be the last person to choose.

Soulwalker

its not a biggy, so long as we all understand whats socially acceptable.

i personally think mystery items are greed items. I have always thought of the need button was for items that would provide a real improvement to your stats. i also think the need button was not a "cheap" button, as in, they are not for needing on mana pots which you can buy from a vendor for a reasonable price.

again though, I am happy doing it what ever way the community feels it must. Generally when i need/greed, I seem to be in agreement with most others in the group. The guy that over uses need is always in the minority and thus KNOWS who he is

Quote Originally Posted by NerdyByNature View Post
    Cosmetic loot
    Bags
    Etc.

And there lies the issue. The WoiW community is totaly ignorant of proper loot-roll etiquette.

I usually just wait to see what the others roll before I make my choice. If everyone rolls greed, I do the same and if I see people roll need, I'll hit need. Problem solved. lol (this applies only to public groups).

If it were up to me, I would just prefer everybody just rolls greed to even out the playing field. It really sucks when the majority greeds on Rift loot and then one person comes along and NEEDS. Ignorant fools...
    Last edited by Agrona77; 04-19-2011 at 05:37 AM.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Ijuakos View Post
    Not entirely true. In WoW, they eventually removed the "Need" option on frozen orbs because of what we're experiencing now with puresource containers. It's people that select "Need" on things like this why I always wait to be the last person to choose.
    lich king noob is lich king

Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu View Post
    And there lies the issue. The WoiW community is totaly ignorant of proper loot-roll etiquette.
    naw it happens in every single other mmo with this system that isn't selective like wow now is with when and on what who can need roll.

anyone here play aion? no need rolls at all on anything ever so if someone rolled on that gold sword only you could use you'd have to petition the GM and get the person who got it to agree to giving you the item.

something as minor as a random lewt bag froma public quest? please.

some of us have been asking for a more compreshensive(wow style) need/greed system including hte option to trade BoP items misrolled on with people in the group during a window so players can manage these kinds of issues themselves or otherwise be barred from creating these issues, even accidentally or through ignorance.
    enyo - defiant warrior seastone.
    gundam - defiant rogue seastone.

Imi
    Ascendant

There is a pet drop from the containers. You should need them until you get it.

Personally, I agree with the OP. Containers should be greed-only to avoid this unnecessary conflict.

Also, remove the annoying bind-on-pickup confirmation.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by zeroumus View Post

i personally think mystery items are greed items. I have always thought of the need button was for items that would provide a real improvement to your stats. i also think the need button was not a "cheap" button, as in, they are not for needing on mana pots which you can buy from a vendor for a reasonable price.
    Actually it's even simpler than that. Since everyone (in theory) might need what's in a random Puresource-type drop, everyone should need. If you don't necessarily need what has dropped then roll greed. I do agree though this game is full of newly-born loot ninjas.

Imi
    Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Agrona77 View Post
    If it were up to me, I would just prefer everybody just rolls greed to even out the playing field. It really sucks when the majority greeds on Rift loot and then one person comes along and NEEDS. Ignorant fools...
    In a more ideal world, the containers would be greed only and players could not need armor not appropriate for their calling.

But someone winning something because they were the only one to press "need" is not ignorant. For some players, that green item might actually be an upgrade. They should be allowed to need them in those situations.

Champion

There's no mechanism that can be created which will disable greed and selfishness in the few which makes it unfair to the many. Rather have no items drop at all, have the currency distributed evenly, and all the items sold on a merchant in exchange for the currency.

Imi
    Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Daysy View Post
    There's no mechanism that can be created which will disable greed and selfishness in the few which makes it unfair to the many. Rather have no items drop at all, have the currency distributed evenly, and all the items sold on a merchant in exchange for the currency.
    Yes, let's suck all of the fun randomness out of the game because of a few bad apples.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast