+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Nullify Evildoers in Neutral Towns- PVP Servers

Soulwalker

Post Nullify Evildoers in Neutral Towns- PVP Servers

It seems that every time I walk into a neutral town, the only thing that happens more than getting that nice looking green wardstone buff is getting my face smashed in by some over eager level 50 guardian. Sure, when that guardian hits me everyone around him turns from green friends into red enemies, but most of the time their not in proximity, or they are not even close to being strong enough to overcome human intelligence, and epic 50 gear.
    Considering A: They feel free to camp my grave and I either have to rez in a place they can't see me, or B: I have to take the rez from the soul technician and thus dropping my soul vitality even further, I end up losing a fine bit of gold because of the faulty system of handling fights in neutral towns. Assuming that it is not Trion's intentions for people to be working at the Forge in the Channel of Labors when all of a sudden a pyromancer wonders if he can roast the unsuspecting person faster than the forge, but at the same time realizing that it is hardly fair to totally kill the attacker without ANY hope of living, I propose the following.
    When a player attacks another inside the perimeter of a neutral town, a debuff be applied to the effect of "Evened Odds". The effect of the debuff being to scale all the stats off the attacking player to one level lower than the attacked. The one lower instead of the same is due to the fact that A:The attacker has the attack on his or her terms, i.e. the mage may have climbed on top of a book case to fight the warrior who is helpless without close quarters and B: The gear of a higher level is usually better quality. (C being I don't like being killed while having a chat with the nice quest givers.)
    This leaves three problems as I see it. One being that if I feel smart, I just wait till I see some guardian run into the town with 2 health from fighting some random wolf thats always around the corner, and laugh as I party over his limp corpse that I just cast a light bolt at. Two, even if it made sense based on this system to make all the friendly green NPCs not turn red, it wouldn't make sense logically considering they are guards and such. Three, If I'm a 50, and I decide to attack a 10 and a 40, what happens? Becoming a 39 means I kill the 10 easy. Becoming a 9 means the 40 eats me alive. Becoming a 25 means the 10 stands no chance and the 40 kills me.
    Solution to One: Too bad. That guardian had it coming for walking around on a PVP server with two health. He can feel momentarily happy though because
    Solution to Two: Leave the guards the way they are (the only tweak being the faulty system of the guards attacking ME if I hit the guardian who just attacked me. Self defense doesn't deserve death.)
    And lastly the final solution. I come from WOW. They have enemies with boss Icons. My understanding of those icons is that no matter your level, you will hit that boss as if you are 3 levels beneath them. OK? Then use the same principal. A 50 attacks a 30 and a 20. The 30 hits the 50 as if he were a 29. Vice versa (the 50 hits the 30 with the power of a 29), The 20 hits the 50 as if he were a 19. Vice versa.

Cool?

Shadowlander

Goto PVE server

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by wormi View Post
    Goto PVE server

Good idea. Waste the time spent on leveling a character to play nice with the opposite faction. The spirit of PVP is to see who has more skills. Not which 50s are best at ganking little 30s who are in the middle of protected cities. I don't think I'm anti PVP by suggesting a bit of fairness.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by ThePurifier View Post
    Good idea. Waste the time spent on leveling a character to play nice with the opposite faction. The spirit of PVP is to see who has more skills. Not which 50s are best at ganking little 30s who are in the middle of protected cities. I don't think I'm anti PVP by suggesting a bit of fairness.
    Is this not what pvp servers are for? Endless griefing and ganking? Seriously everytime somone complains about a pvp server being unfair I have to wonder "Is this their first mmo with a pvp server?"

You don't like it move. Move location. Move server doesnt matter move. Even if they fixed the npc's wouldnt stop them from ganking you while you're questing. It's gonna happen and if you don't like it well thats just too bad. Doesnt happen on PvE servers though.
    Last edited by Sky427; 04-18-2011 at 11:10 PM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Sky427 View Post
    Is this not what pvp servers are for? Endless griefing and ganking? .
    No. Not really. The develepors should strive to make PvP enjoyable to both sides. If you are outskilled its one thing. If you are facing someone 20 levels higher in much better gear its another. As for getting ganked when your questing THAT is valid. Freemarch is not flagged, and once you are passed there you should take care of yourself when in the open world.

But when you are reading quest text in a building that claims to be neutral, or smelting some bars, and the opposing faction randomly starts wiping you out?

No. That is not what a PvP server is about. This is like the conversation about rogues being able to pull Rift Raid bosses into reseting themselves, thus ruining the rift for the other faction.

Player vs Player is one thing. Player taking advantage of Player is something else.

Soulwalker

The are so few level 50 characters that know what they are doing I can usually take them on my tank cleric with all my self heals.. Of course if they are a decent player who read his souls rather then just blindly picking what looked cool I'm probably done for... But in all honesty if you rolled on a PvP server expecting to not get ganked then you're a fool... But then I haven't been ganked much on my toon because it's a bit overpowered ( a lot of self heals as Justicar )

Rift Chaser

Default Quit Crying about getting ganked, ona PVP server its part of the game

It may be painful for you to get ganked by a higher level toon, but like it or not it is part of the game and you will have to deal with it. If this part of the game offends you then yes I would reccomend either find a way to understand and deal with it or roll on a PVE server. This is the most cowardly thing a higher level toon can do to a lowbie but it is a part of the game and one of the reasons they do it is to provoke other 50's into the area for combat; coombat that you can get involved with and enjoy if you are of worth to stick around and get your vengence.

Plane Touched

Its pretty amazing how many people are completely disregarding what the OP is trying to say here.

He doesn't care that he gets ganked while questing, he rolled on a PvP server just for that 'challenge and risk'

But he didn't roll on a PvP server to get ganked in a neutral town with guards that do not do their jobs, they are either not attacking the aggressor or they are attacking the victim.

The guards are seriously flawed, i'm a guardian and i've been killed by guardian guards for attacking a defiant. They are broken because honestly faction guards should not be killing people from their own faction. Only neutral guards should be attacking everyone

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Lightbane View Post
    The guards are seriously flawed, i'm a guardian and i've been killed by guardian guards for attacking a defiant. They are broken because honestly faction guards should not be killing people from their own faction. Only neutral guards should be attacking everyone
    And for that matter, only to make it worse, the guards aren't that hard to be killed by any well geared 50. Zareph's Return in Stillmoor on my server might take about 10 minutes before a defiant player can turn in a quest, because one or two level 50 guardians decide they want to kill some random guards.
    So a 50 (who will be the ganker) can live the guards, but the one attacked, the lowbie, will get killed by the guards supposed to save them.

I'm not saying "Lets hold hands and turn our PvP flags off in neutral cities!" all I'm trying to say is "Instead of laughing for an hour about how many times you can kill my quest giver and I, while staring at the pretty guards outside, if you try that, me and them are going to woop your *** to the moon and back."

Reasonable?

I would really like to see some changes with this. Neutral towns are more dangerous than the open world for me :c It's not fun, and if your gankers are obviously more powerful than you, then you have no chance of fighting back. Like the OP, I don't mind if I get into a fight or two while questing and doing rifts/invasions, but I'd atleast like to be somewhat safe when Im trying to talk to quest givers or planar vendors... :c

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by ThePurifier View Post
    No. Not really. The develepors should strive to make PvP enjoyable to both sides. If you are outskilled its one thing. If you are facing someone 20 levels higher in much better gear its another. As for getting ganked when your questing THAT is valid.
    Incorrect. I refer you to the code of conduct:

"A player on the opposite faction cannot be griefed. It is perfectly acceptable to take actions in order to get a player of the opposite faction killed using whatever means possible."

Whatever... means... possible.

There is no difference between player vs player and player taking advantage on a PVP server. The point is one of you ended up dead. Welcome to PVP.

Meh, i think all the guards should be lvl 100 elites, and any fighting in towns should turn into a slaughter. Guards killing all involved.

GSB Conq/ROS Conq/HK Conq/ID Conq
    4/4 TotDQ
    4/4 FT
    2/5 EE
    <The Chosen>

They don't need to be extremely overpowered. They should just be more of a inconvenience if you decide to attack players in neutral towns. Like, a significantly larger aggro range, and maybe some sort of CC (Stun or Disarm+silence?) or a way for them to force offending players to attack/target them instead (It should only work on players, though) :P And damage reduction from players and/or higher health would make them a little less weak o:
    Last edited by Lulitsian; 06-08-2012 at 11:37 AM.

Prophet of Telara Shaidar Haran's Avatar

Here's a change of pace idea for this thread:

If a Neutral Guard finds a Guardian hitting a Defiant in their town, that Guardian is auto Rift Prisoned by the Guard for 5min. If the Guardian is caught killing a Defiant in their town, then they are Rift Prisoned and automatically sent to a new Holding Area (Jail Cell) in that town, or tied to a tree or something along those lines. After the 5m wait (5min simulation of a trial) they are found guilty and auto killed. No form of suicide can prevent this.
    My Hand Reaches Far...

Quote Originally Posted by Amary View Post
    There's typically no warning for unexpected crashes.

You're talking about Icewatch/Mathosian/Arcane Hand guards, correct?
    They're supposed to attack anyone who is fighting in their town, because they are affiliated with neither Guardians or Defiants.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast