+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Convenient mail-Carrier Pigeons/Creatures

Default Convenient mail-Carrier Pigeons/Creatures

Hi there, I made this post awhile ago and since then this suggestion board was added, a great thing indeed Triton Here is my idea

Convenient mail : Since Rift has some awesome graphics I thought of an idea of "Carrier Pigeons" If Rift could place Carrier Pigeons in game that are buy-able from an NPC in towns, we could purchase them to use when we really need them out of town. Send potions to another who ran out and in need of help, send a message to another for fun (good for Role playing too) Crafting materials another needs atm and the person crafting can get without having to travel to the nearest mailbox and many other cool ideas with having the pigeons.

When ready to send an item, right click the pigeon in your inventory and it will appear before you hovering, a small 2 slot box appears as well for you to place the items within it and a "send" button at the bottom. Click send, box disappears and the pigeon makes a noise confirming that your ready for him to fly to the destination.
    The receiver of course has to be currently online for this to work and when mail is sent in this way a red glowing button appears signaling that he or she has incoming mail from a carrier pigeon. The person clicks the button and the receiver will see the carrier pigeon appear before them and the small box appears containing the items sent. Once the box is closed the pigeon disappears.

Of course the it doesn't have to actually be a carrier pigeon, Rift could use eagles or other types of flying creatures as they wish and add some flashy swooping, flying appearances of the creatures.

Quote Originally Posted by Ipurgepeople View Post
    That carrier pigeon thing is interesting.

That would be a lot of work to implement something like that, but that would be quite interesting. Are you saying the pigeons are a permanent item with a long cooldown, or a consumable?

I'm thinking, to put it in a rift-ish sense, it would be a spirit pigeon, and it would cost a planar charge to use. It would have a two hour cooldown or so, can carry one item, and like 100 word letter. Would cost a ton of Planarite (Maybe a 20k Planarite purchase or higher).

That's my proposed, ideal carrier pigeon.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackZodiac View Post
    I never thought of the Pigeons being permanent, consumable yes with a cooldown to prevent spamming. When purchasing, you select the amount of Carriers you would like and they stack like any other items in your inventory.

In the Rift-ish sense, that's a cool idea, A spirit Pigeon would be awesome. It gives me another idea on that note. Maybe have different types of creatures one can purchase, each in its own design and amount of items to carry. Using Planarites is a great idea too.

Thanks, your dedicated Rifter
    Last edited by BlackZodiac; 04-18-2011 at 06:18 PM. Reason: spelling

Default Bump

After all this time I still think Carrier Pigeons/ creatures of different nature for Convenient mail is still an awesome idea. What say the rest of you?

Meh.

Mailboxes are everywhere and even on a slow mount it's only a few moments away from anywhere I'm at.

I don't see the need for it, or the need for a bunch of crazy flying animals throughout the air lagging up my game.

Shadowlander

+1 for carrier pigeons, these static fantasy mmo's that end up "imagination free zones" need some oomph.

Rift Chaser

personally i like the message in a bottle. as a dorf i always have a empty bottle around for some reason, hic. there is water all over the place to throw it in. besides those pigeons are mighty tasty to too many creatures out there.

Quote Originally Posted by KnirpsLyn View Post
    Meh.

Mailboxes are everywhere and even on a slow mount it's only a few moments away from anywhere I'm at.

I don't see the need for it, or the need for a bunch of crazy flying animals throughout the air lagging up my game.
    Not everywhere and the use of it is "Convenience" Many times I have zoned and or in an area which I really do not want to leave but curious as to what mail I have received. So this type of mail would be nice, specially if it has some flare to it Gives an added touch to the everyday adventuring/grinding etc etc

btw, I have zero lag. No lag whatsoever unless it actually comes from Trion and that is little to zero too.
    Last edited by BlackZodiac; 07-29-2011 at 06:38 PM.

+ Reply to Thread