+ Reply to Thread

Thread: in-game browser

Default in-game browser

Vanguard and EQ2 have a /browser command that lets you bring up a web window within game (though without flash, etc, just barebones). I tend to get my client corrupted when i make the game windowed or tab out, so for me personally this would save some time.

Plane Walker

If you installed via steam (or install steam and add the game to your library), you can press shift+tab to open the steam UI which has a browser.

Although an in-game browser would be good to see things like forum posts, I think that in the interest of security, it should be locked to only look at the official forums.
    The UI should have no address bar (thus preventing people from manually entering in addresses) and all links in posts that result in external websites shouldn't work at all.

UI-wise the window would need "Back", "Forward", "Forum Home Page" and "Close" buttons. The links provided in the forums coudl the be used to do the rest of the navigation.

Just my 2cp
    Last edited by Tarka; 04-18-2011 at 04:16 PM.

Soulwalker

pull your game into windowed mode and you shouldn't run into that problem anymore... no need to build a full browser just to keep people from having to alt tab out

Quote Originally Posted by Dillgaar Rhine View Post
    pull your game into windowed mode and you shouldn't run into that problem anymore... no need to build a full browser just to keep people from having to alt tab out
    Windowed Mode takes up extra processing. Whilst an in-game browser isn't a necessity (and neither does it need to be a "full" one), it is a convenience. Like Addons and Macros

To be honest I've found frame rates differ very little (if at all) whether "windowed" or "full screen". These days I run "Windowed - full screen" all the time.
    I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by jennytwotone View Post
    Vanguard and EQ2 have a /browser command that lets you bring up a web window within game (though without flash, etc, just barebones). I tend to get my client corrupted when i make the game windowed or tab out, so for me personally this would save some time.
    Just curious, are you running just "Windowed" or did you try "Fullscreen Windowed" as well? When I ran mine in windowed it crashed as well...but as soon as I made the switch it was fine.

if i alt-enter it corrupts the game half the time so the walls disappear, same result if i manually change it in settings.

the person above mentioning security - if there are no java or flash elements, you dont need to worry about security overly much. eq2 and vanguards browsers have no such limitations.

+ Reply to Thread