+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Zone Population Indicator

Default Zone Population Indicator

Basically, I propose an indicator on the world map for each zone, giving a basic idea for the intensity of Dynamic content to expect. It would be tier based and I was thinking of a basic color indicator or numerical value (+1, +2, +3).

As the zone pop increases, more rifts, more invasions, and a higher probability for a zone event.

Also, another idea I had would be applying the expert/raid rift lure concept to a zone event. Letting guilds determine the time and place a zone event would happen would be really nice.
    The tank is the driver, healer is the fuel. And the DPS are the kids sitting in the back crying about if they're there yet. And this is coming from a DPS.
    http://forumwatch.riftideas.com/ *Credit to Meritt*
    Ever heard of Mumble? It's like Vent & Skype had a kid!

Rift Disciple

I could get behind this.

Sometimes, you're spoiling for a fight, or want to find some planar creatures for guild quests, etc.

The only detrimental effects I could imagine are these two:

1. It could create a snowball effect, where low-pop zones stay low-pop because everybody knows they're not going to see any action there.
    2. It could encourage high level players to seek out zones bursting at the seams with newbies if they see a "red alert" there and nothing but green invasion levels on more level appropriate content. Probably leading to #1.

If those two could be addressed, or if maybe it only displayed population levels for the zones whose "level bands" you fall into (at least addressing #2), I think my play experience could be enhanced by such a feature.

I agree with that, though I feel a better solution would be to make the incentives for higher lvl characters doing lowbie content nonexistant.

I also feel this idea along with zones broadcasting zone events would lead to the "flashmob" effect, and to my knowledge, the way Rift's server infrastructure is setup, they are trying to provide a means to handle large groups with server blades devoted to on demand management of big world event sized gatherings.

Scott Hartmann said it himself, Trion's riding a razor's edge between not enough ambition and too much ambition with Rift's goals.
    Last edited by ColdKarl; 04-18-2011 at 03:56 PM.
    The tank is the driver, healer is the fuel. And the DPS are the kids sitting in the back crying about if they're there yet. And this is coming from a DPS.
    http://forumwatch.riftideas.com/ *Credit to Meritt*
    Ever heard of Mumble? It's like Vent & Skype had a kid!

+ Reply to Thread