+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Microtransactions - Expected, Resented, Dreaded?

Default Microtransactions - Expected, Resented, Dreaded?

Hey y'all.

I've done a little searching but couldn't see anything specifically regarding MTs.

Just wondering whether anyone had heard them mentioned in any previews or hands on demos. Personally I hope not. I like to think that all subscribers are equal but I know that may be a little naive nowadays.

My concern is that even if they start off as fluff items, development time may start to revolve around them. I despised STO and I dread to see more patch notes and dev updates which mention more about MTs than fixes/content.

I agree that microtransactions are like a a slippery slope. At first they start out as harmless and then they BANG are a must to be competitive!

Rift Chaser

Expected and dreaded. Nothing will make me unsubscribe faster than to see profit before people in the developers of a game I'm playing. But just about every game I've played has gone that route.

And before any business students get up at me about that, they can make plenty of profit without having to devote content to microtransaction 'fluff' that otherwise paying subscribers have to shell out extra for, at the expense of regular updates.

It's even worse when it gets it's sticky fingers into combat systems.

On the bright side, hopefully Craptic will serve as a lesson on how not to do things. Better to learn from the mistakes of others than repeat them yourselves.

CO made it about a year before having to go F2P and STO may go the same way. Which is a damming indicement when you consider the huge pre-installed fanbase for all things ST.

Microtransactions do not thrill me either. If they are necessary to play a game, I don't play. Cosmetic items I can tolerate.
    DAoC Nimue & Percival 2001-2004- those were the days.

There's an image in my head, but I can't make it whole
    There's a picture in my mind, there's a story to be told
    ~Shadowland

If there are MT's I will not play this. As someone above me stated they start off harmless then you need them to be competitive and I don;t want to shell out extra bucks. Not to mnetion i always choose what I buy badly so i would totally regret it lol

Expected and resented. I'd tolerate cosmetic items and xp boosting items, as long as they're within reason and preferably obtainable ingame as well, but anything more and I'll jump ship to WoW or GW2.

As much as I like the Rift system and the fact that someone is finally putting dynamic elements into an MMO, nothing will make me drop this game faster than if the words "item store" or "Trion Coins" start getting passed around. It's a slippery slope that ALWAYS has its end result in people paying for content their subscription would otherwise cover, and eventually degrading into people paying for full blown advantages. Even cosmetic items, besides being one step away from the path of full blown equipment, takes away from the game. I'd much rather have to work hard to quest/fight/earn a cool looking suit/weapon than simply purchase my flying sparkle pony for $25 from a store...

So please, do us all a favor, and don't fall in with the crowd with the double dipping RMT bullcrap. Want to charge for character transfers or other account services, fine, but keep the money out of the game.
    Last edited by Valkadesh; 12-06-2010 at 08:45 AM.

I refuse to have to subscribe to play a game and then turn around and have to buy more things for it.

I feel that in any MMO all players should be equal and have access to the same things. It would just be a matter of how hard someone works to achieve a certain goal to unlock something. Even selling things like a Santa suit in cash shop isn't fair because I would want to be able to have my character dress up the same as anyone else without having to spend money to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkadesh View Post
    As much as I like the Rift system and the fact that someone is finally putting dynamic elements into an MMO, nothing will make me drop this game faster than if the words "item store" or "Trion Coins" start getting passed around. It's a slippery slope that ALWAYS has its end result in people paying for content their subscription would otherwise cover, and eventually degrading into people paying for full blown advantages. Even cosmetic items, besides being one step away from the path of full blown equipment, takes away from the game. I'd much rather have to work hard to quest/fight/earn a cool looking suit/weapon than simply purchase my flying sparkle pony for $25 from a store...

So please, do us all a favor, and don't fall in with the crowd with the double dipping RMT bullcrap. Want to charge for character transfers or other account services, fine, but keep the money out of the game.
    well put .. couldn't have said it better myself

Plane Touched

I play P2P because I got sick of the Pay2Win of F2P games. Nothing will make me unsub a game faster than the addition of paid content outside of expansions
    All "negative" or "critical" posts are in order to improve the game we all plan to play for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellimist View Post
    I play P2P because I got sick of the Pay2Win of F2P games. Nothing will make me unsub a game faster than the addition of paid content outside of expansions
    I never supported micro-transactions and never will, but I do feel if game is P2P and not B2P expansion should be free.

Plane Touched

I'd rather pay $20 per month and not deal with that micro-transaction crap than pay $15 and have it introduced...

Shadowlander

I don't mind micro transactions as long as they don't give a unfair advantage to players. So if Rift put in a shop that sells mini skeletons or pet squirrels, fine. But if the mini skeletons give +30 to strength and mini (even smaller than normal) squirrels give +30 dexterity then I will bid Rift ado and move on to play some other MMO.

Soulwalker

Cash shops ruin games. Seen it several times in the past - there is a huge gap between haves and have-nots, and it really burns the enjoyability of playing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast