+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Antialiasing?

Shadowlander

Default Antialiasing?

RIFT looks great, but i know i am not the only one out there with a high end PC playing, and the removal of the option to go past 1x supersampling antialiasing since beta 5 has really annoyed me, i am constantly running at 200+fps yet can't get rid of all the jaggy lines, and it is ruining my game experience, i have read a lot on the issue and it seems that the RIFT engine currently does not support hardware antialiasing, if that is the case, can you enable some kind of software based AA that is better than 1x supersampling? I dont care if i have to kill all of my other settings, i just really cannot stand jaggies, i uploaded a video to youtube to show how bad the effect is in some places, keep in mind this was WITH supersampling enabled.

Watch in 1080p - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJh38xvQ4WQ&hd=1

Youtube quality is not the best but you can probably see what i am getting at. Again, this was with the highest antialiasing option in the client enabled. (1x Supersampling)

It seems like a massive issue for a "Next Gen" MMO, AA technology has been around for a very long time, and it was made for a reason, to elimate the major problems caused by rendering 3d objects on a square grid of pixels that were ruining visuals, and lack of it, honestly, could be a game killer for me. I dont really understand why 4x was removed in the first place after beta 5, there were people whining about the performance hits, but i think at the very least there should be some option in the interface or something to bypass the warnings and enable it anyway...

If the game has major issues preventing software based AA as well as hardware, i read somewhere that updating to dx10 would fix a certain compatibility issue and make it possible, i dont really understand all that much about the engine as i havnt looked into it before, but either way, i think this game NEEDS antialiasing capability well past 1x supersampling, even if it murders performance. If you dont like the performance hit, you can run without it, but AA is just neccesary for me to enjoy games, and i am sure that others feel the same way.

Also one thing to add, forcing AA via nvidia control panel, nHancer etc does not work in any way.

Please bump and add support to this thread if you want to see this.

I wish Trion would indeed support more antialiasing modes (even 8xMSAA would be preferable over 2x/4xSSAA, and less taxing, but that's personal preference on my part). If the engine does use deferred rendering then you're right, adding support for DX10 or above should help.
    If at first you don't succeed, threaten to quit unless it's nerfed.

Does it bug you that much?

Sarathor@Byriel Rank 7 Defiant Mage - retired
    Bonqueequee@Byriel Rank 1 Guardian Rogue

Soulwalker

Software AA is always pretty dodgey and uses up alot of resources. I wish you could use forced hardware AA but you cannot as it will remove your nameplates.

Shadowlander

Well mate, they had support for at the very least 4x supersampling in beta 5 when i started playing, i dialled some settings down and ran with it, was hoping for a little higher but kinda content with it, now they removed the option to go past 1x which just makes things worse

Shadowlander

wow 3 replies very close to each other, anyway, yes, it really does bug me, so much so that i stopped leveling for 4 hours yesterday and fell behind my guild trying to find a way to force it on, Sarathor if there is a way to do it even if it removes nameplates can you please let me know?

Shadowlander

Here's a screenshot of what my character looks like RIGHT NOW at full max settings aside from shadows and ground clutter, which are disabled for personal preferance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Antialiasing?-supersampling.jpg  

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Sarathor View Post
    Yes... yes it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarathor View Post
    It does bug me a little bit, but not game breaking or anything. I'm just too used to super smoothing I think.

Shadowlander

Ok, since the RIFT site butchered the first image with downscaling, heres a better version.

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/8805/supersampling.png
    Last edited by Cyro; 02-28-2011 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
    wow 3 replies very close to each other, anyway, yes, it really does bug me, so much so that i stopped leveling for 4 hours yesterday and fell behind my guild trying to find a way to force it on, Sarathor if there is a way to do it even if it removes nameplates can you please let me know?
    Unfortunately I don't know a way, I wish I could help. To me, it doesn't really both me, mainly because I'm used to low rendered before I upgraded my computer with a graphics card, but I can see how someone with a machine able to handle it would be annoyed that they don't even have that option.

I would keep pressing Trion further. Like you said, this is the next gen. MMO, and they need to be able to handle some kickin' graphics settings. Why they chose that engine for their game, I'll never know.

Sarathor@Byriel Rank 7 Defiant Mage - retired
    Bonqueequee@Byriel Rank 1 Guardian Rogue

Soulwalker

I completely agree they need to implement proper AA. The edge-blurring-whatever-it-was is absolutely pointless, and serves to do nothing more than ruin the hard work anisotropic filtering does to correct texture planing by re-blurring the surfaces. Supersampling on the other hand, whilst an effective method of reducing aliasing is incredibly inefficient, and I would MUCH rather see Trion give us proper AA rather than just increase the supersampling.

Not to mention it seems even SS is not implemented properly because '1x' doesn't even make sense since the whole idea of it is to render the image larger, then shrink it to the resolution - the shadows change when supersampling is enabled and it does not effect everything either so i suspect 1x is a bit of a misnomer.

Shadowlander

Frontpage bump. I would honestly like a reply from Trion on the issue

Soulwalker

Cant you force the AA thru the video card control panel? I am forcing 4X SSAA thru Nvidia's control panel, also 16x antro and vsync.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Cant you force the AA thru the video card control panel? I am forcing 4X SSAA thru Nvidia's control panel, also 16x antro and vsync.
    Are you sure that's working as intended? I forced 8xAA through NVIDIA's control panel and it made no difference in-game whatsoever.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast