+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: I would like an authenticator please

Jai
    Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by malum78 View Post
    None of you seem to know what a keylogger is or how it operates.
    you could have picked it up months ago. Yes, YOU got it. Anyways fella's. gonna leave it at that. No hope here with people that think you get magicly comprimised just for playing a MMO.
    Or to be specific seeing how you will tear apart that sentence...
    compromised for playing a mmo 7 months ago.
    I hadn't typed that password in, as I stated, seven months. The idea of them sitting on a password for that long is ludicrous. Thinking a keylogger is always to blame is just as ludicrous.

LOLOL
    YOU CAN NOT GET HACKED WITH OUT A KEYLOGGGER.
    rofl, this is too funny.
    I hate Wikipedia for information
    I also don't expect you to actually read this, comprehend this, or admit these are facts
    But here you go, in case you genuinely don't understand
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker_...%29#Techniques
    There you go
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Mal Reynolds, Firefly
    My Personal Guidelines - http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...les-To-Live-By

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Mazikeen View Post
    I hate Wikipedia for information
    I also don't expect you to actually read this, comprehend this, or admit these are facts
    But here you go, in case you genuinely don't understand
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker_...%29#Techniques
    There you go
    lmao wiki
    /10chara
    AMD Phenom 2 x4 965 @3.8ghz / ASUS M4A785T-M / 2x4 GB Gskill Ripjaws ddr3 1600mhz / PNY GTX 560 1gb core @950 / WD caviar black 750gb
    OCZ modxstream 600wat PSU / Fractal R3 case / Windows 7 64bit

Champion

You guys actually think theres someone roaming around the web punching in random email addy and password combo's, lost cause,lol
    AMD Phenom 2 x4 965 @3.8ghz / ASUS M4A785T-M / 2x4 GB Gskill Ripjaws ddr3 1600mhz / PNY GTX 560 1gb core @950 / WD caviar black 750gb
    OCZ modxstream 600wat PSU / Fractal R3 case / Windows 7 64bit

Shield of Telara

Just say no to Authenticators and Yes to better client security.
    Even Maplestory has made use of better client login security then "That other game".

Jai
    Plane Walker

You guys actually think theres someone roaming around the web punching in random email addy and password combo's, lost cause,lol
    It's not even worth arguing the point with you, Mr pot calling kettle black lost cause. So just answer this. How does it hurt you to have authenticators available?

Emails are trivial to get and there are MILLIONS of computers roaming around the web punching in good emails and random password combos. This is how Gmail, Facebook, Amazon, banking, and MMO accounts are hacked on a regular basis. ombine that with phishing, keylogging, and viruses on USB devices, and it's really naive that Trion thinks an email/password combination will be even vaguely secure. They should have at least gone with username/password to make both parts of the combo non-trivial to get.

I would like something stronger than email/password too. It doesn't have to be an authenticator, but it needs to be a lot better than what we have now.
    Last edited by Sky775; 02-28-2011 at 10:01 AM.

Plane Touched

Actually, it's more like, people with the same forum names as their account name + brute force passwords.

Before blizz put in the battle net system where you had to enter the email address, it was easier to hack an account than you'd think.

You could just use google, find a cached page with a post in WoW, and then just start hammering away with username/passwords until one worked.

Back before the 'invalid number of attempts' got put in, it was rampant. And occured more than you'd think.

But I do agree, that the keyloggers are more 'in your face' and apparent. Used more widely. The majority of the users don't even know that they have one. Some people have rootkits in their machines and don't realize it until something starts acting up. By that time, that rootkit has been logging and sending their application->keystrokes to some random database/email whatever for months and months.

Authenticators are good for that reason. As rootkits do get installed maliciously nowadays. If not the kit themselves, then the trojan gets installed by an ad on a website and then installs the rootkit.

But ya, to the point of "people don't magically get hacked." ... well, I agree to some point, but ... Just because someone is naive or not in-the-know about what's going on on their machine (not everyone is a computer nerd, they might just play games for ya know... fun), it doesn't mean that they're the ones at fault. Just because a child gets kidnapped by a guy in a panel van offering candy, you don't go and blame the kid for not knowing do you?

Aaanyway, that's my 2c.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by scfs123 View Post
    Just say no to Authenticators and Yes to better client security.
    Even Maplestory has made use of better client login security then "That other game".
    Magic, while rampant in Rift, does not exist in the real world and would be the only means of achieving even a fraction of the security an authenticator gives with client security.

Put it on your keychain, punch in the pretty numbers and only have to worry about much harder to implement "man in the middle" techniques.

Champion of Telara

Time to post the obligatory conspiracy post I have to put in all of these threads.

Blizzard were the ones "hacking" the accounts and giving the gold to the farmers for a little extra cash. They then would agree to give you back all your gear so they could make sure to look like super cool guys!

Soulwalker

yes give me an authenticator

Soulwalker

Just to bring up a little point why I liked authenticators:

Although I've never been hacked (through careful awareness of my own) that doesn't mean all my friends and guildmates are as careful.

As games develop, there is usually the addition of many "shared" resources such as guild banks full of money and materials, players housing where you may allow a good friend admin access to help you set up for an in-game event, guild halls where the guild has worked very hard to earn the resources to build and maintain it, and guild bases that are expensive to build.

It only takes one time of seeing what a hacker did not only to the individual's account, but to all of us to make me a fan of authenticators.

Is it such a harmful thing to allow the non-techie folks access to this level of security to protect all of us? Is it so bad to allow authenticators to be purchased by those players that have every intention of file-sharing, going to **** sites, and/or running no security programs while they are at it?

That being said, I would also use an authenticator if it was made available.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Annalyn View Post
    Just to bring up a little point why I liked authenticators:

Although I've never been hacked (through careful awareness of my own) that doesn't mean all my friends and guildmates are as careful.

As games develop, there is usually the addition of many "shared" resources such as guild banks full of money and materials, players housing where you may allow a good friend admin access to help you set up for an in-game event, guild halls where the guild has worked very hard to earn the resources to build and maintain it, and guild bases that are expensive to build.

It only takes one time of seeing what a hacker did not only to the individual's account, but to all of us to make me a fan of authenticators.

Is it such a harmful thing to allow the non-techie folks access to this level of security to protect all of us? Is it so bad to allow authenticators to be purchased by those players that have every intention of file-sharing, going to **** sites, and/or running no security programs while they are at it?

That being said, I would also use an authenticator if it was made available.
    Very well put, and one of the biggest reasons for making them available! Thank You for that post!
    http://files-cloud.enjin.com/60018/module_gallery/full/83333.jpg

Soulwalker

don't you think it's a little early for authenticators? better use their time to make the game better atm, its not even official release yet...

considering gold sellers are already spamming in game, pre it even being public... I'd say we need additional security or a guarantee from trion I won't get my account hacked.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast