+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: I would like an authenticator please

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by malum78 View Post
    sorry OP, but i played " that other game" for 5 years, never got hacked.
    I swear if I had a dollar for everytime I heard someone say that the very week they got hacked for the first time in WoW, I could retire now and buy an island.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by progenitorivox View Post
    I swear if I had a dollar for everytime I heard someone say that the very week they got hacked for the first time in WoW, I could retire now and buy an island.
    For real, it's pretty astounding that their argument is that it hasnt happened to them yet. It's also hysterical that they believe that clicking links or falling for a phishing scam is the only way to get hacked. Truly ignorant. There's a reason information security/assurance is a multi billion dollar industry in both the private and public sector. With what's available now, there's little reason to rely on single factor authentication alone.

And seriously, why does anyone care? Make it an option, if you want to leave your account vulnerable, fine, who cares, add it as an option for the rest of us who dont believe there's some magical bubble surrounding our computers unless we click a link.

Quote Originally Posted by Rinkitink View Post
    For real, it's pretty astounding that their argument is that it hasnt happened to them yet. It's also hysterical that they believe that clicking links or falling for a phishing scam is the only way to get hacked. Truly ignorant. There's a reason information security/assurance is a multi billion dollar industry in both the private and public sector. With what's available now, there's little reason to rely on single factor authentication alone.

And seriously, why does anyone care? Make it an option, if you want to leave your account vulnerable, fine, who cares, add it as an option for the rest of us who dont believe there's some magical bubble surrounding our computers unless we click a link.
    Authenticators are like condoms
    Yes, you can take the risk and use other methods of protection...
    But an additional layer doesn't ever hurt
    Makes the experience a bit different, but better safe than sorry
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Mal Reynolds, Firefly
    My Personal Guidelines - http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...les-To-Live-By

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Mazikeen View Post
    And you expect the majority to do this?
    Well it stops keyloggers, and being a network admin i get my staff to do this, its a must. If you dont take any precautions, you deserve it imo.

Telaran

My roomate finally broke down and got an authenticator 3 months ago. THE DAY it arrived he got hacked before he could apply it to his account. There aren't enough "I told you so"s in the world for that .

Quote Originally Posted by Insidus View Post
    Well it stops keyloggers, and being a network admin i get my staff to do this, its a must. If you dont take any precautions, you deserve it imo.
    Sir, if you're a network admin and think an on-screen keyboard is secure enough to use in place of tokens, you should be fired
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Mal Reynolds, Firefly

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Jai View Post
    I did in WoW. 7 months after I canceled my account, a friend who still played told me my character was in game. 7 months. There was nothing to keylog, I hadn't even thought about the game in that time, and yet somehow the account was compromised. And no, I had never given my password out to anyone.

That seems like a pretty damn magical hack to me.
    you got keylogged.
    YOU got YOUR SELF keylogged.
    AMD Phenom 2 x4 965 @3.8ghz / ASUS M4A785T-M / 2x4 GB Gskill Ripjaws ddr3 1600mhz / PNY GTX 560 1gb core @950 / WD caviar black 750gb
    OCZ modxstream 600wat PSU / Fractal R3 case / Windows 7 64bit

Jai
    Plane Walker

you got keylogged.
    Let me reiterate. SEVEN MONTHS.

There was nothing to keylog.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Jai View Post
    Let me reiterate. SEVEN MONTHS.

There was nothing to keylog.
    None of you seem to know what a keylogger is or how it operates.
    you could have picked it up months ago. Yes, YOU got it. Anyways fella's. gonna leave it at that. No hope here with people that think you get magicly comprimised just for playing a MMO.
    Or to be specific seeing how you will tear apart that sentence...
    compromised for playing a mmo 7 months ago.
    Last edited by malum78; 02-28-2011 at 09:29 AM. Reason: typo
    AMD Phenom 2 x4 965 @3.8ghz / ASUS M4A785T-M / 2x4 GB Gskill Ripjaws ddr3 1600mhz / PNY GTX 560 1gb core @950 / WD caviar black 750gb

I agree fully. Don't feel secure at all w/out one.

you got keylogged.
    Wot?
    Seriously?
    He was gone for 7 months
    What hacker keeps a password for a video game account for 7 months?
    Chances are very, very good that particular account was cracked using random passwords until one worked
    This is possible, by the way, unless the company in question temporarily locks an account after X failed attempts. In fact, this is the exact reason higher-security programs/locations temporarily lock accounts after 3-5 failed attempts
    Yeah, the arguments against tokens here are just amusing

Champion

It wasn't " my arguement". I made a statement that you disagree with but it wasn't the end all be all reason I opt to not bother with a authenticator.
    I love how people presume, and jump to conclusions.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Mazikeen View Post
    Wot?
    Seriously?
    He was gone for 7 months
    What hacker keeps a password for a video game account for 7 months?
    Chances are very, very good that particular account was cracked using random passwords until one worked
    This is possible, by the way, unless the company in question temporarily locks an account after X failed attempts. In fact, this is the exact reason higher-security programs/locations temporarily lock accounts after 3-5 failed attempts
    Yeah, the arguments against tokens here are just amusing
    LOLOL
    YOU CAN NOT GET HACKED WITH OUT A KEYLOGGGER.
    rofl, this is too funny.

I absolutely loved my iPhone authenticator for Blizzard. My daughter used the dongle. As Rift grows in popularity, our accounts will also focus more in the sights of the black hats. An authenticator is a great way to help counter an attack, and I would be all for it.

I would pay for an authenticator app (Andriod/iOS).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast