+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: I would like an authenticator please

Telaran

Yes please. I got hacked in WoW. Before you ask I hadn't played for years, but decided to subscribe for a month. My account got banned within that time, obviously because a hacker was using it for gold selling.
    It would give piece of mind knowing that your account is secure with an authenticator.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwahn View Post
    Trion, could you please make an authenticator available for Rift? I use anti-keylogger software like most people, but that added level of security really would make me feel alot better.

Posting something regarding the development of one would be wonderful as well. Thanks!
    i too am overly careful with my PC security, but i worry nonetheless. when i tried aion, i got hacked/keylogged w/e u wanna call it within a week of playing, a full system scan gave no hint of threat on my PC, spybot S&D said all was good and i had no script running in my firefox, i was so baffled as to how it happened, yet all other accounts (game and ank etc) were safe so i dont know.

i didnt care much for aion so i canceled it, but id hate for that to happen with this game since i am LOVING it
    Last edited by sarra; 02-28-2011 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by malum78 View Post
    You go ahead and waste money on that then. ignorance isn't a good excuse for trouble. " but I didn't know" or aaaah crap I know I shouldn't a clicked on that"
    derp.
    I'll spend my $7 on an authenticator I'll use for 5 years
    If you get hacked, you spend $40 on a new game
    And who knows how many hours leveling new characters
    Oh, do you have insurance? Life, health, dental, home, car? Yeah, that's a waste too I suppose
    Speaking of ignorance... in case you didn't know, it's impossible to have keep system that is not completely closed off totally secure. Impossible. Even the Pentagon has issues
    By the way, looking before you cross the street... still a good idea. But you go ahead and skip that step in life
    Ta-ta
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Mal Reynolds, Firefly
    My Personal Guidelines - http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...les-To-Live-By

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by sarra View Post
    i too am overly careful with my PC security, but i worry nonetheless. when i tried aion, i got hacked/keylogged w/e u wanna call it within a week of playing, a full system scan gave no hint of threat on my PC, spybot S&D said all was good and i had no script running in my firefox, i was so baffled as to how it happened, yet all other accounts (game and ank etc) were safe so i dont know.

i didnt care much for aion so i canceled it, but id hate for that to happen with this game since i am LOVING it
    Look.
    you clicked on something, or you fell for phishing.
    You do not get magicly hacked.
    AMD Phenom 2 x4 965 @3.8ghz / ASUS M4A785T-M / 2x4 GB Gskill Ripjaws ddr3 1600mhz / PNY GTX 560 1gb core @950 / WD caviar black 750gb
    OCZ modxstream 600wat PSU / Fractal R3 case / Windows 7 64bit

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by mazikeen View Post
    i'll spend my $7 on an authenticator i'll use for 5 years
    if you get hacked, you spend $40 on a new game
    and who knows how many hours leveling new characters
    oh, do you have insurance? Life, health, dental, home, car? Yeah, that's a waste too i suppose
    speaking of ignorance... In case you didn't know, it's impossible to have keep system that is not completely closed off totally secure. Impossible. Even the pentagon has issues
    by the way, looking before you cross the street... Still a good idea. But you go ahead and skip that step in life
    ta-ta
    again. One does not get magicly hacked.
    AMD Phenom 2 x4 965 @3.8ghz / ASUS M4A785T-M / 2x4 GB Gskill Ripjaws ddr3 1600mhz / PNY GTX 560 1gb core @950 / WD caviar black 750gb
    OCZ modxstream 600wat PSU / Fractal R3 case / Windows 7 64bit

Rift Disciple

You go ahead and waste money on that then. ignorance isn't a good excuse for trouble. " but I didn't know" or aaaah crap I know I shouldn't a clicked on that"
    derp.
    What money? RSA makes free authenticators for iPhone, Android, BlackBerry, and for Windows PCs.

Safe browsing is good, but it isn't perfect.

Two Factor security, please.
    Addons are not all Recount and GearScore.

Authenticators are good for any online activities of significance. Not to say that will be the only security a user should apply to stay safe from account compromise, but it goes a long way. Hopefully there will be an option for it further down the road, the game isn't released yet.
    Last edited by vetiver; 02-28-2011 at 08:59 AM.

Soulwalker

Id like to have the option. Preferably a phone app as I've used in the past.

It would of course be optional so those who dont want one, dont need.

I like the added security myself.
    Uh oh, here we go again....

Jai
    Plane Walker

Look.
    you clicked on something, or you fell for phishing.
    You do not get magicly hacked.
    I did in WoW. 7 months after I canceled my account, a friend who still played told me my character was in game. 7 months. There was nothing to keylog, I hadn't even thought about the game in that time, and yet somehow the account was compromised. And no, I had never given my password out to anyone.

That seems like a pretty damn magical hack to me.

Good lord people.

Would I use an authenticator? No. I'm very savvy when it comes to online security. I even spent many days looking into hacking and how Trojans/Keyloggers worked.

Should they have an authenticator available? As long as it is not mandatory why, the hell not? There is beating around the bush that it does make your account safer. It is a form of insurance that may or may not pay off.

Sunrest - Defiant | Deilax - Rogue | Gumpert - Cleric

Soulwalker

this would be so helpful

Phishing. Keyloggers
    One can be avoided. The other can't be
    Viruses (including keyloggers) have been shown to be present in a large number of file types, including picture files, including .JPG/.JPEG
    Do you open picture files? Ever?
    Do you go to any website? Ever? Everever?
    Thought so. Once again, street, bus. Looking both ways can lower your chances of being hit, but sometimes it happens anyway
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Mal Reynolds, Firefly

Soulwalker

You do realise that all versions of windows that support rift come with an on screen keyboard... which cant be keylogged btw, which is also encrypted.. and if you have kaspersky, you have an even better one. You should never physicaly type account info into a form unless absolutly nessecery. Use the tools that you are given, and stop moaning

edit = spellings
    Last edited by Insidus; 02-28-2011 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidus View Post
    You do realise that all versions of windows that support rift come with an on screen keyboard... which cant be keylogged btw, which is also encrypted.. and if you have kaspersky, you have an even better one. You should never physicaly type account info into a form unless absolutly nessecery. Use the tools that you are given, and stop moaning
    And you expect the majority to do this?
    You're really not very observant of humanity, are you?
    And any time data is transferred from point A to point B, it can be read. Any time data is put into memory, it can be read. It may not be easy, but it's possible.
    A token key is as secure as it is because the data changes every X seconds, so unless it's used right away said stolen data is useless
    It astounds me that people are arguing against a $7 security feature when they paid $40+ for a game and many I'm sure have fast food meals that cost as much as the authenticator
    Skip McDonald's one day. There, you just paid for a guarantee that your account won't get hacked

Telaran

Houses get burnt down and people get run over in the street. It does happen but that's why you are insured right?
    Why would you have issues with other people using a cheap token, which gives their account more security?
    Last edited by Moro27; 02-28-2011 at 09:11 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast