+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My First Rift!

Default My First Rift!

Ok. I couldn't wait. I just had to pop on here right now and tell you about my experience in Telara today.

I logged in and checked my quest log. I needed to go to a place called Todrin's Estate to kill some mobs and collect some items. I headed out to find my way there.

Along the way, I ran into some nasty looking boar like creatures called aberrant razorbacks. There were a few of them scattered here and there close enough together that I needed to kill a couple of them to get past them.

I killed one and then another without much difficulty. I started on a third one and was about halfway through killing him when all of a sudden, foliage started springing up around me and streams of light or maybe mist started coming from the sky. I looked up and saw the tentacles... there was a rift opening right on top of me!

I quickly finished off the razorback and turned to see some new mobs coming from the rift. One by one, I started killing them. There was enough space for me to pull them separately and kill them one at a time.

After I killed them all, a second wave started to spawn. I started fighting them only to discover that this time, some of the mobs were healers and were healing my targets! Ok, change of strategy. I started killing the healers first and then the rest of the mobs. This was a little more challenging but I was still able to finish off the second wave.

Then I turned around and saw a bigger, named mob had spawned! I started fighting him. I had him down to about a third of his health (I was still at about half health) when he was suddenly healed! Oh no! Another healer had spawned!

I had to run away a bit and heal up. Then I went back and killed the healer.

Now that he was out of the way, I was able to concentrate on the boss. I was able to beat him now!

When it was all over, I was able to loot and I was rewarded with a very cool new staff! Much better than the one I was using!

It was an exciting and really fun experience!

But I had some questions. I wondered if it was common to be able to solo a rift. So I asked the guys on the team about that and here is what I found out.

The mobs that a rift spawns are the same general level as the mobs of the zone they are in. I was level 12 (13 by the time the rift was closed!) and the mobs in the area were 10-11. So I was a little bit overpowered for this particular zone.

They also told me that as you progress, the rifts will be more challenging. So it may not always be possible to solo a rift. In fact, I get the impression that some are going to take a lot more people working together to get the job done!

This whole experience was extremely enjoyable! I love the fact that something out of the ordinary could happen to make me stop in my tracks and forget my agenda and do something so exciting and fun! Of course I had already heard how these rifts were supposed to work and all. But experiencing it myself was so great!

I cannot wait to be a little higher level and attempt closing a tougher rift with a group of other players! And I look forward to having you join me! This is going to be so much fun!

Gah! Can't wait!

Plane Touched

That sounds awesome. I have a question though. If there is a group in the area, will the mobs scale up to group lvl? I could see solo rifts being rolled over easily by a group if only solo mobs pop out of it. I don't quite know how you would manage to detect whether the proper balance would be. If there is 1 group and one solo person, I wouldn't want to see the solo person not rewarded.

Also is there a way to determine which type of rift it is? (group, solo, raid, etc) or a way to force it into a certain type? I know you can't answer that but I'm asking anyways

I was incredibly impressed by the video with the first four stages of the death rift. It's almost like a MMO gameshow in the way you play, doing harder and harder tasks for better and better rewards. Sure, you can cash out early, but I'd want to see the end. Even if we do get eaten by a raid mob.
    <a href=http://www.trinityguild.org target=_blank>http://www.trinityguild.org/images/signatures/rift/sig_final.png</a>
    I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. I donít know.
    Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I donít want to answer.

Oh, so so jealous right now Thanks for sharing your experience, sounds like a blast!!!!! Imagine that, a death rift opening right over your head.. yikes!

OOOh that was a fun story thanks for sharing it Cindy and thanks for the new info on what determines the level of the Rift mobs. It seems even though E3 is over the new info and fun has not ended.

I agree Europe that new video with the Death Rift was pretty darn cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundaarr View Post
    That sounds awesome. I have a question though. If there is a group in the area, will the mobs scale up to group lvl? I could see solo rifts being rolled over easily by a group if only solo mobs pop out of it. I don't quite know how you would manage to detect whether the proper balance would be. If there is 1 group and one solo person, I wouldn't want to see the solo person not rewarded.

Also is there a way to determine which type of rift it is? (group, solo, raid, etc) or a way to force it into a certain type? I know you can't answer that but I'm asking anyways
    From what I've read, it seems a little like the rifts could be sort of like branching encounters. In other words, the mobs will be around your general level, but depending on how you tackle each wave, the successive waves will change. So, for instance, if a solo person runs around killing each mob individually and takes 10 minutes to complete a wave, that might spawn a boss a single person can handle and end the encounter. If instead a group is there and wipes the first wave in 2 minutes, a different branch will occur and the encounter will change...more waves might appear with more powerful mobs, and the boss might be more powerful. That sort of thing. Not so much that individual mobs scale with the power of the players in the area, but instead the whole encounter scales.

I might just be making most of that up. anyway...it's my best guess at the moment.
    "Behind this mask, there's an idea... and ideas are bulletproof." -V for Vendetta

forums - Fozzik's Hardware
    blog - The Last Bastion

Quote Originally Posted by Fozzik View Post
    From what I've read, it seems a little like the rifts could be sort of like branching encounters. In other words, the mobs will be around your general level, but depending on how you tackle each wave, the successive waves will change. So, for instance, if a solo person runs around killing each mob individually and takes 10 minutes to complete a wave, that might spawn a boss a single person can handle and end the encounter. If instead a group is there and wipes the first wave in 2 minutes, a different branch will occur and the encounter will change...more waves might appear with more powerful mobs, and the boss might be more powerful. That sort of thing. Not so much that individual mobs scale with the power of the players in the area, but instead the whole encounter scales.

I might just be making most of that up. anyway...it's my best guess at the moment.
    I see it about the same way right now, given the information.

One of the devs also said in IRC that if you were soloing and failed to kill the mobs in a certain time period the quest would not end but a different branch of the quest would form next.

You guys have some good questions. Unfortunately I don't have the answers. But I do know the people who do! ;)

I'll see what I can do about setting up some time with one of the devs to talk about some of these questions soon. Give us all a chance to recover from E3 a bit and get back in the swing of things.

I know everything we share just brings up more questions. But we'll get you more and more answers as we move forward.

This is such an exciting time!

Thank you for sharing your experience I have no shame in saying that I am quite jealous now.

ďThey say you are to be the greatest hero in a past Iíll never know. Learn this, and it shall be so:
    Let the only fear you ever know be the fear you inspire in your foes.
    If you can do that in your heart, glory will follow you.Ē

It sounds like you had fun doing it. I am happy for you. You need to get Jives,Chris,Ramdom, and some others to come play with you Abi.Always more fun in a group Abi

Thank you for sharing what we all hope to do ourselves sometime soon.

"Do not think of knocking out another person's brains because he differs in opinion from you. It would be as rational to knock yourself on the head because you differ from yourself ten years ago."
    - Horace Mann (1796 - 1859)

Abigale -

If there is any chance at getting some RIFT info, this quote is what I would most like to know. We keep talking about dynamic content. This little example to me is true dynamic content. Is this something that you guys are striving for in your RIFT encounters? If it is, and its well tuned. You have your pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. If you released info and showed a movie of how the RIFT dynamically changes based on player participation and speed of each wave....people will fall over each other to get this game.

Thanks for sharing, Abigale! That sounds fantastic.

Very nice!

Okay, we're teased into a frenzy now! Time for those beta invites so we can start helping make Rift the most polished launch in the history of MMO games!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast