+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question about the Server Queues

Question Question about the Server Queues

Soooo, I know this is headstart & all, & it's technically 'free time' not being billed as subscription time, but, with the real official launch date rapidly approaching, I am wondering what kind of reosolutions we are looking at for these rediculous server queues!

Again, I don't mean to be ungreatful or a Troll or whatever, I really like Rift I was so impressed with the final beta & the community that I purchased it, but I never had queues like this in the test... waiting 2-3-4 or even more hours just to try and play seems silly...

I know they already said they are rolling out new servers ASAP 'slowly' whatever that means, but the last 2 servers added were back on friday, nothing new today... Queues seem slightly better than on thursday, but still game-breakingly long for an official launch date right around the corner.

are we going to be able to character transfer to these new servers rolling out so we can play without a que since there seems to be currently way more players than servers? Or are we just going to have to give up our head-start advantage time & hard-work put in & re-roll on another server with a who-knows server population & start from scratch again?

Are the current servers going to be expanded &/or given more resources to accomodate the obviously larger number of players than slots available, or are they only going to be adding new servers with new names where you will have to re-roll?

Thanks in advance for any & all information you can help me locate on this subject!
    Ohm Mani Padme Hum
    May this & all exchanges take place for the benefit & well being of all beings
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...-Noobs-A-Fable
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...ide-Compendium

They're going to keep a eye on it. Let's say they add four more servers tomorrow. The problem with that is, if in 3-4 months there is a population decline on that server due to, transfers being offered (paid or free), people leaving Rift cause it goes down the WoW route where everything get's nerfed into oblivion because of PvP, or whatever, it looks bad for Trion if they have to merge servers. Generally, in the MMO market, merging of servers means the game is dying. So, if there is a true need for more (which my guess will clearly show on launch day), there will be more added, otherwise, no there will not be anymore.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Kadika View Post
    They're going to keep a eye on it. Let's say they add four more servers tomorrow. The problem with that is, if in 3-4 months there is a population decline on that server due to, transfers being offered (paid or free), people leaving Rift cause it goes down the WoW route where everything get's nerfed into oblivion because of PvP, or whatever, it looks bad for Trion if they have to merge servers. Generally, in the MMO market, merging of servers means the game is dying. So, if there is a true need for more (which my guess will clearly show on launch day), there will be more added, otherwise, no there will not be anymore.
    actually there will probably be a decline starting on monday as a lot of people took off thursday and friday to be able to play.

Default thanks, but thats my point

we already KNOW they still need way more servers. They dont have enough servers for their head start players ALONE, without these huge queues.

Whats going to happen on launch day when all the joe-blow flavor of the week less-than-knowledgeable casual gamers purchase the game on tuesday & spike the already too large population? How will they react to having to que up for hours to play a game they just paid for?

Also still wondering if they are able to expland available player slots on current servers to get rid of the queues, or if we will basically be forced to re-roll to avoid them.
    Ohm Mani Padme Hum

Quote Originally Posted by Elyzium View Post
    actually there will probably be a decline starting on monday as a lot of people took off thursday and friday to be able to play.
    Might be a decline on Monday, but official launch is Tuesday, which, many people will probably have taken off as well who didn't get a headstart code, couldn't take off this weekend, etc. Only time will tell. My personal guess, 1 more server, maybe 2 at most, no point rolling out 10 and calling it a day for the server list to be 5-10 high, a few medium, and 10+ low in a month or 2 if things don't pan out.

*Edit -

Treezat, no, there is no need right now for more servers.

http://www.riftgame.com/en/status/index.php - 4 servers are low population, and of the rest, the majority are not queued. There is no point in rolling out servers ala World of Warcraft at the slightest sign of a queue when people can re-roll on a lower pop server. As I said, my estimate, 1, maybe 2 more servers unless launch has a extremely large influx of users.
    Last edited by Kadika; 02-26-2011 at 05:08 PM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Treezat View Post
    Soooo, I know this is headstart & all, & it's technically 'free time' not being billed as subscription time, but, with the real official launch date rapidly approaching, I am wondering what kind of reosolutions we are looking at for these rediculous server queues!

Again, I don't mean to be ungreatful or a Troll or whatever, I really like Rift I was so impressed with the final beta & the community that I purchased it, but I never had queues like this in the test... waiting 2-3-4 or even more hours just to try and play seems silly...

I know they already said they are rolling out new servers ASAP 'slowly' whatever that means, but the last 2 servers added were back on friday, nothing new today... Queues seem slightly better than on thursday, but still game-breakingly long for an official launch date right around the corner.

are we going to be able to character transfer to these new servers rolling out so we can play without a que since there seems to be currently way more players than servers? Or are we just going to have to give up our head-start advantage time & hard-work put in & re-roll on another server with a who-knows server population & start from scratch again?

Are the current servers going to be expanded &/or given more resources to accomodate the obviously larger number of players than slots available, or are they only going to be adding new servers with new names where you will have to re-roll?

Thanks in advance for any & all information you can help me locate on this subject!
    look here: http://www.riftgame.com/en/status/index.php
    and you will see that even now in prime time only about 1/4 of the US servers have any queue at all.

I expect the numbers to drop off a bit this week and then spike again on March 1 til the end of that weekend and then start dropping off again. But that is just my opinion.

What Trion would like is for the people to disperse into the newer servers, but some people are just to stubborn to get in to a single server *COUGH-BRIARCLIFF* in which in that case...it's their fault for the 1k + Server Q XD but asides from that, I'm sure they might have some sort of solution by Tuesday.
    My thoughts in my mind are structured like a chess board. Everything that ends up happening is a checkmate. It's all according to plan.

Rift Disciple

Might be a decline on Monday, but official launch is Tuesday, which, many people will probably have taken off as well who didn't get a headstart code, couldn't take off this weekend, etc. Only time will tell. My personal guess, 1 more server, maybe 2 at most, no point rolling out 10 and calling it a day for the server list to be 5-10 high, a few medium, and 10+ low in a month or 2 if things don't pan out.

*Edit -

Treezat, no, there is no need right now for more servers.

http://www.riftgame.com/en/status/index.php - 4 servers are low population, and of the rest, the majority are not queued. There is no point in rolling out servers ala World of Warcraft at the slightest sign of a queue when people can re-roll on a lower pop server. As I said, my estimate, 1, maybe 2 more servers unless launch has a extremely large influx of users.
    my bad i keep thinking that there is another week in this month

Rift Disciple

we already KNOW they still need way more servers. They dont have enough servers for their head start players ALONE, without these huge queues.

Whats going to happen on launch day when all the joe-blow flavor of the week less-than-knowledgeable casual gamers purchase the game on tuesday & spike the already too large population? How will they react to having to que up for hours to play a game they just paid for?

Also still wondering if they are able to expland available player slots on current servers to get rid of the queues, or if we will basically be forced to re-roll to avoid them.
    They have already expanded the number of slots to what they feel is the maximum allowable, look in the stickies. And they have already added a lot of servers since launch. Also, not all of the original launched servers are maxed out just some of them.

Default link?

Quote Originally Posted by Elyzium View Post
    They have already expanded the number of slots to what they feel is the maximum allowable, look in the stickies. And they have already added a lot of servers since launch. Also, not all of the original launched servers are maxed out just some of them.
    can you link any of them, please? i couldn't see anything that was in the stickies that directly answered this...

but basically, it sounds like i am being told that if I dont want to have a queue, i need to giveup my headstart time already put in, and just start on another server that has a low population, correct?

that really sucks, but i would rather know now than queueing up for hours again for the rest of the weekend and then just deciding at launch to have to pick another server
    Ohm Mani Padme Hum

can you link any of them, please? i couldn't see anything that was in the stickies that directly answered this...

but basically, it sounds like i am being told that if I dont want to have a queue, i need to giveup my headstart time already put in, and just start on another server that has a low population, correct?

that really sucks, but i would rather know now than queueing up for hours again for the rest of the weekend and then just deciding at launch to have to pick another server
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...-Frequently%29

Heya I just preordered, in the process of down loading now, should I shoot for one of low population servers or the ones that say medium? I figure the low Pop servers might become full on Tuesday any way; I guess worse case scenario if a server stays low pop in prime time then they'll eventually merge it I guess. Any one know what factions are more favored over others?
    Last edited by Karsa; 02-26-2011 at 05:24 PM.

Soulwalker

Ok, so someone explain how the que problems are going to get better on launch day? Simple logic says different.

I have been waiting patiently for the past two days for the Que times to come down.

If there are still 3-4 hours ques, (which there are today Sat 26 Feb), two days after the pre-launch how in gods green earth is that going to improve when hundreds of thousands more join on the official launch?

So far my wife and I have had to move to some obscure server if we want to play at all, and so we miss out on playing with other friends , guild members and family because we cannot get into our original server anymore without a 3-4 hour que and pre-planning to camp in front of our puters for half a day waiting in line! This entire situation is not acceptable.

I paid Trion good money, 3 accounts! And now we are limited to when and where we can play. Thanks!
    Seriously if we had known this was going to be such a huge problem we would not have ordered the game.
    We will likely not be renewing after this first month, its simply not worth it and not enjoyable to wait in line for hours just to log in. In over ten years of playing MMO's online we have NEVER had this issue before.

For all of you saying that this Que wait is normal and to be expected, and dont complain, this is what it sounds like to me Blah blah blah ... If this is not fixed then Trion will go the way all the rest of the failed have, and real soon!

Huge failure and disappointment from the head start so far.

Plane Touched

The remaining queues aren't because there aren't enough servers. There are plenty. Most have no queues. You can see this here: http://www.riftgame.com/en/status/index.php

The queues that still exist, especially the huge ones, are because nobody on that server wants to play anywhere else. One solution would be to open up free transfers, but when that's been done in WoW it doesn't actually reduce the population a huge amount, and probably would do even less so close to launch (since it takes little effort at this point to reroll, unlike once you've invested weeks and years into a character, meaning you're probably on that server because you want to be).

The remaining solution I've seen done occasionally (I believe WAR did this) is to actually split a server. You forcibly break it into two distinct shards and have players select a destination. Too early to call whether this will be necessary, but I think it's safe to say that the players like me who want to play on Faeblight REALLY REALLY want to play there. People call for free transfers, sure... but really they are almost entirely hoping OTHER people will transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by Denlevi View Post
    Ok, so someone explain how the que problems are going to get better on launch day? Simple logic says different.

I have been waiting patiently for the past two days for the Que times to come down.

If there are still 3-4 hours ques, (which there are today Sat 26 Feb), two days after the pre-launch how in gods green earth is that going to improve when hundreds of thousands more join on the official launch?

So far my wife and I have had to move to some obscure server if we want to play at all, and so we miss out on playing with other friends , guild members and family because we cannot get into our original server anymore without a 3-4 hour que and pre-planning to camp in front of our puters for half a day waiting in line! This entire situation is not acceptable.

I paid Trion good money, 3 accounts! And now we are limited to when and where we can play. Thanks!
    Seriously if we had known this was going to be such a huge problem we would not have ordered the game.
    We will likely not be renewing after this first month, its simply not worth it and not enjoyable to wait in line for hours just to log in. In over ten years of playing MMO's online we have NEVER had this issue before.

For all of you saying that this Que wait is normal and to be expected, and dont complain, this is what it sounds like to me Blah blah blah ... If this is not fixed then Trion will go the way all the rest of the failed have, and real soon!

Huge failure and disappointment from the head start so far.
    While I can understand your frustration, you are paying Trion for the right to access their servers and play. There are plenty to choose from, and the majority do not have queue's. Solely the choice of you, your friends and guild to be on that server. As unfortunate as it is, that is the truth.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast