+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Missed opportunity for support roles in not having 6 man groups

Default Missed opportunity for support roles in not having 6 man groups

First of all, hats of to Trion for including some genuine support souls such as the bard and warlord who are a bit different from the norm which we have, in more recent years, been forced to accept (or at least become used to). However, despite including these souls I have serious doubts they are going to see much use (pre-50 at any rate) due to the choice of going with 5 rather than 6 person groups for instanced content.

To run as a support player you obviously need to be able to justify your position in a group as opposed to taking another DPS. To outweigh a fully specced DPSer you need targets to throw buffs onto as much as anything else. I haven't crunched the numbers but I highly doubt that many of these roles are going to be able to be better value for that slot than another Champion/Nightblade whatever. Adding that one extra buffable target makes an enormous difference to facilitate these roles being worthwhile and not simply forgotten about, or 3rd souls on other builds.

It's a shame as well with the huge flexibility we have because 6 person teams could let you add things for small groups which are trivialised by the numbers available when it comes to raiding, such as needing an off tank for some boss fights. Asking people to able to perform different roles in a single session would be much more lively.

As it is, every pug I see forming is 1 MT/1 MH/3 DPS. LOTRO has it problems but it is great to hear "Need a healer and 2 randoms for XX" rather than designing a system which ensures these souls aren't going to get the attention they deserve.

Shadowlander

FYI? The bards can be pretty decent healers...

FYI? Warlord works well with my tank role
    Do I look like a troll?

I don't think bards are likely to be main healers, they can heal really well but they lack the necessary spot healing it seems for instance work.

Similar story for Warlords. The 51 point build is getting a bit of chat but it is clearly inferior to the paladin in lots of ways.

They are primarily supoort classes which means they aren't replacing the tank or healer so need to replace a dps.

Its going to be the same as any other game. Min/Maxers wanting to risk the wipes for quick runs will take the minimal amount of tanking and healing necessary so their dps can burn through the content quick.

Legit groups who want to complete the content fully and completely will take mixed and varied groups.
    Roasty L50 T3 Mage Seastone -Awakening-

+ Reply to Thread