+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 36 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: What was the first mmo you ever played?

Default What was the first mmo you ever played?

Okay. . .this is going to date me quite a bit but I played this game called Gemstone III. It was one of the original MUDS that was on Genie when the internet cost you a couple of bucks an hour. I started when it got ported over to AOL. This was about. . .I'd say 16 years ago.

It was entirely text based. But it had a killer leveling and combat system and was full rp. It was made by some company called Simutronics, I think. There were invasions/attacks on towns and merchant/rp events along with unique weapons and items that occasionally got auctioned or raffled off by gm controlled npcs or mobs. Interactions between players and gms were common and a real community formed where everyone knew each other. I think there was one server, with a max population of about 2500. People still play this game today but I think the server is down to about 200-300 people on average. Hell of a game.

When I quit and sold everything I had it paid for most of my college. 1 million silvers went for about 25 bucks. And people would pay hundreds of dollars for one particular item. I'm pretty sure they still do.

Long story short, I'm a million years old. A lot of the special events and rift invasions reminded me just a little bit of the first mmo I ever played. I think that's why I'm so excited to play.

Post your first addiction memories!

My first MMO experience isn't even close to being as badass as yours (16 years ago , WHAT THE F*CK )

It was about 9 years ago and it was a game called Tibia , made by Cipsoft. But this wasn't text based anymore , it was a 2D game and I had so much fun on it back then. Nowadays it still exists and quite alot of people play it. The weirdest thing is that I come back to this game every few years and I still have fun on it.

daoc (dark ages of camelot) was visting one of my uncles for christmas a few yrs back and he was playing this, we were whats this? so he showed us and i was hooked on mmos ever since

Runescape :P

Holy ****, I can play online with other people????
    Last edited by JMaggot; 02-23-2011 at 02:33 PM.

Yeah it's weird. MMO's don't really go away anymore. People still play Asheron's Call and Ultima Online. Hell people still play Meridian59. There's less people and less servers. . .but they still exist.

Rift Disciple

everquest 1 .

Ascendant

Neocron! best pvp game ever

Sword of Telara

Run escape.

It helps when you start at the bottom, because everything looks great by comparison.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Alwaysatodds View Post
    Yeah it's weird. MMO's don't really go away anymore. People still play Asheron's Call and Ultima Online. Hell people still play Meridian59. There's less people and less servers. . .but they still exist.
    Ones with a fan base and some merit do not go away, that is what is hilarious about Game X is going to kill game Y. Games don't die until the company stops caring about them or cannot keep up with them.

The only games I know of that "went away" are Shadowbane (although it tried a resurgance but failed again), Horizons (which technically came back under a different name after a year or so), WWII online and Demolition Alley.

The others, as horrible as one may think - are still a kicking.

As for first MMO.

Well yeah, MUDS technically (Trade wars which is easily 20 years ago) Middle MMOs, Meridian, MMO's as we know it now -- Ulitma Online /Everquest.

Default ac

asherons call, i still haven't found a game after all these years that is as exciting as that game was. They still do monthly updates

Telaran

Earth and Beyond. remember those pesky level ??? Vrix

Mine was Guild Wars, in 2004 lol. I created a Necromancer and the fact that I saw all these other characters running around who were actually other players was N-E-A-T-O. Yes. I said neato. Don't judge me.

I think I played that game for over a year, becoming what people called a "Minion Master" haha. It was so fun... until a guildmate discovered WoW and told me I should try it out. That was Nov of 2005 and from that moment until Monday of this week, I was a WoW addict.

I hate admitting that, too. Now I dislike it, the realm my characters are stuck on, and even more so the community of that realm.

I am so very much looking forward to Rift!!!
    "I'm not afraid of death. It's the stake one puts up in order to play the game of life."

Phantasy Star Online for the Sega Dreamcast, using dial up. lol. Seems like so long ago.
    LFD Tool: Just give us the option to use the LFD tool cross or same realm.
    I would gladly sit in queue longer if it meant I could group with players from my realm.

Oh, and btw Alwaysatodds ... love your avatar haha. That show is fantastic!
    "I'm not afraid of death. It's the stake one puts up in order to play the game of life."

Everquest 1 for a two week trial =) Unfrounately I couldn't fund the game when I got this as I was in primary school at the time all those years ago but it was so great!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 36 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast