+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27

Thread: Download Speed

  1. #1
    Rift Disciple Snichy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    122

    Default Download Speed

    This may be a general IT support question but is relevent at the moment as Im downloading the Rift client.

    I have established that I have a 6mbps download speed (by logging into the router and checking the downstream speed as well as using the online broadband speed testers) and also confirmed with my ISP that there is no cap and the speed into the property is 6 Mbps.

    However when downloading the Rift client (or any other file for that matter) I am only getting a maximum of 650KBps. Is that normal? Are the speeds reliant on the activity of the server I am downloading from (i.e. if they are busy, the speed will be slower) or is it something I need to look into further as theres a problem with my computer or settings as I according to the ISP I should be seeing 6Mbps as that is what is coming into the router?

    Any advice from knowledgable people on this forum would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Rift Disciple chompy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Argent
    Posts
    97

    Default

    Pay close attention to letter case:

    6Mb/s = 6000Kb/s

    650KB/s = (680Kb/s x 8) = 5200Kb/s = 5.2Mb/s

    With overhead, your 6Mb/s line is doing just fine.

    Regards.
    Last edited by chompy; 02-23-2011 at 02:32 AM.

  3. #3
    Telaran Egnarts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    90

    Default

    What Chompy said. It's caused alot of confusion over the years that you can't translate a 1mbit line into a 1mb download

  4. #4
    Rift Chaser Guldur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    London, England.
    Posts
    355

    Default

    As ^^^ said

    Mb = Megabit = 1/10 of a Megabyte.

    MB = Megabyte = 10 Megabits.

    My 10Mb connection gives me ~1.1MB/s

  5. #5
    MrT
    MrT is offline
    Plane Touched MrT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Gotham
    Posts
    229

    Default

    rule of thumb

    Line speed / by 100 * 9 = download speed to expect give or take 0-100kb

  6. #6
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    193

    Default

    Yes this is normal for many reasons.

    1) The Rift servers could be flooded with traffic, due to everybody downloading right now. This would result in slower speeds for you downloading.

    2) How your ISP set up your lines. I'm guessing you have Cable since your speed is 6mb/s. Cable USUALLY runs on a grid, meaning that everybody in your zone leeches off the same connection. Speeds often vary on cable. I run 10mb/s but I can only reach 3mb/s on a good day. Sometimes I get as low as 700kb/s. It all depends on how your ISP is running their end and how much traffic is going through.

    3) Never expect to get what you sign up for. A rule of thumb is you're going to achieve, on average, 1/6 to 1/8 of the posted speed. Why? As stated above. If you're downloading from a website, somebody else probably is too which can bog down their end. If your neighbors are on their service and you share a common ISP, it will bog it down on your end.

    Unless you have shut off a port, which would require knowledge of the router, then the only problem you could have would be a firewall. You would realistically not be able to download the patch at all if it were a firewall, though, because it wouldn't allow incoming access without your permission.

    It's just how the ISP world is run I guess. In California I paid $65 a month for Cable internet promising 20mb/s. I only achieved 1.8 max. Pretty big rip off, but then you have to realize 6,000 other people near me were using the same ISP at the same time.
    Last edited by Turbine; 02-23-2011 at 02:35 AM.

  7. #7
    Plane Touched MochaFlux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guldur View Post
    As ^^^ said

    Mb = Megabit = 1/10 of a Megabyte.

    MB = Megabyte = 10 Megabits.

    My 10Mb connection gives me ~1.1MB/s
    1 byte = 8 bits

  8. #8
    Telaran Egnarts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    90

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Yes this is normal for many reasons.

    1) The Rift servers could be flooded with traffic, due to everybody downloading right now. This would result in slower speeds for you downloading.

    2) How your ISP set up your lines. I'm guessing you have Cable since your speed is 6mb/s. Cable USUALLY runs on a grid, meaning that everybody in your zone leeches off the same connection. Speeds often vary on cable. I run 10mb/s but I can only reach 3mb/s on a good day. Sometimes I get as low as 700kb/s. It all depends on how your ISP is running their end and how much traffic is going through.

    3) Never expect to get what you sign up for. A rule of thumb is you're going to achieve, on average, 1/6 to 1/8 of the posted speed. Why? As stated above. If you're downloading from a website, somebody else probably is too which can bog down their end. If your neighbors are on their service and you share a common ISP, it will bog it down on your end.

    Unless you have shut off a port, which would require knowledge of the router, then the only problem you could have would be a firewall. You would realistically not be able to download the patch at all if it were a firewall, though, because it wouldn't allow incoming access without your permission.

    It's just how the ISP world is run I guess. In California I paid $65 a month for Cable internet promising 20mb/s. I only achieved 1.8 max. Pretty big rip off, but then you have to realize 6,000 other people near me were using the same ISP at the same time.
    Could have saved yourself alot of time if you read the OPs post, then yours wouldnt be totaly irrelevant since you not only didnt answer his/her question but also went completely off track.

  9. #9
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    28

    Default

    im doing 205 - 216 KS/s, guess the download speed for the UK is terrible

  10. #10
    Rift Disciple Snichy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    122

    Default

    Great advice here, thanks guys, put my mind at ease...!

  11. #11
    Rift Disciple Alanray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    108

    Default

    Sitting at around 436KB/s in East Coast Australia atm. Earlier I was getting around 850KB/s, appears everything slows down at night here.

  12. #12
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snichy View Post
    This may be a general IT support question but is relevent at the moment as Im downloading the Rift client.

    I have established that I have a 6mbps download speed (by logging into the router and checking the downstream speed as well as using the online broadband speed testers) and also confirmed with my ISP that there is no cap and the speed into the property is 6 Mbps.

    However when downloading the Rift client (or any other file for that matter) I am only getting a maximum of 650KBps. Is that normal? Are the speeds reliant on the activity of the server I am downloading from (i.e. if they are busy, the speed will be slower) or is it something I need to look into further as theres a problem with my computer or settings as I according to the ISP I should be seeing 6Mbps as that is what is coming into the router?

    Any advice from knowledgable people on this forum would be appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Egnarts View Post
    Could have saved yourself alot of time if you read the OPs post, then yours wouldnt be totaly irrelevant since you not only didnt answer his/her question but also went completely off track.
    I'm sure I was responding to the questions he presented. I actually answered all of the questions he presented. If you could show me how I went 'off-topic' I'd appreciate that, but you should also read his post prior to responding.

    Thanks for being so blind, you made me enjoy that.

  13. #13
    Rift Chaser Guldur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    London, England.
    Posts
    355

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MochaFlux View Post
    1 byte = 8 bits
    You know when you buy an 80 GB HDD, and it only has 76 GB on it.

    It's because of the confusion when SI and binary interpretations are mixed and matched to retialer's convenience.

    What I said was in principal correct, though.
    Last edited by Guldur; 02-23-2011 at 02:43 AM.

  14. #14
    Telaran Ezze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Nova Scotia Eastcoast... getting 1.65 mbs

  15. #15
    Soulwalker fnarkl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alanray View Post
    Sitting at around 436KB/s in East Coast Australia atm. Earlier I was getting around 850KB/s, appears everything slows down at night here.
    I've finished d/l the client, took me just under 4+1/2hrs...it varied between less than 100 kb/s up to over 2/meg.

    I suppose it depends on the time we do it. Either way, i'm done now...just have to wait until tomorrow night now.
    Last edited by fnarkl; 02-23-2011 at 02:48 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts