+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 64

Thread: Speculations for the class system

  1. #1
    Plane Touched hydd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    279

    Default Speculations for the class system

    I had to sit on my hands for awhile and think on what this new class system is really going to mean for Rift and possibly future mmorpgs. This isn't the first game that will embody a multi-class, but it have be the furthest outside of D&D that class dipping has gone. With 51 soul points it would lead me to believe there will be 60 levels while the first 9 being soulless (more or less like WoW talents) and you will play your chosen archetype exactly the same as anyone else with the same archetype. You'll likely not see a dramatic difference between players until levels 40-60 and by that time there will be posts by hardcore min/maxxers saying that you need to be 'x' build to achieve 'y' dps. And like the sheep the majority of mmorpg players are, they will follow and copy the builds to be the uberpwners, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing.

    This class system is going to breed player made builds of all kinds (which is making me ecstatic), but in the end there will be a sticky with the optimal raid builds. You'll see things in /ooc like "Level 60 Spellblade (17/14/20) LFG" by several players, because that may be a popular build for endgame or pvp. This is more or less like the FOTM builds, but I think it's going to be more interested pugging with people not knowing what to expect. For example, you pick up a pug purifer whom you expect to heal, but then when he walks over to you you see him dual welding and you inspect him to find out he is heavily subclassed in the Gladiator soul which is more or less like when you pick up a battle cleric in DDO and /facepalm.

    Being a guild leader, I see this entire class system as a huge sigh of relief. It'll make it so if we haven't got enough of 'x' class and somebody wants to step up and reroll that certain class, they don't have to do so. They can go re-allocate their soul points. I've got a hunch that this system is going to make the contrast between adept players and inept players quite large which will further let me pick out bad eggs from good ones. This should also stop players to stop getting bored of their class because of whatever reason and instead go re-soul into another class letting them see the game from a different perspective. I'm just so stimulated about this class system!

    I'm, of course, just speculating and don't see this being such a revolutionary class system and that is not a bad thing. I'm continually excited for this game and all its bells & whistles!

    Now speculate with me

  2. #2
    Ascendant Europe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    East Lansing, Michigan
    Posts
    1,957

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hydd View Post
    I had to sit on my hands for awhile and think on what this new class system is really going to mean for Rift and possibly future mmorpgs. This isn't the first game that will embody a multi-class, but it have be the furthest outside of D&D that class dipping has gone. With 51 soul points it would lead me to believe there will be 60 levels
    There are 50.
    <a href=http://www.trinityguild.org target=_blank>http://www.trinityguild.org/images/signatures/rift/sig_final.png</a>
    I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. I donít know.
    Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I donít want to answer.

  3. #3
    Champion Bellatrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    The Grid
    Posts
    580

    Default

    We do know, however, that the max level will be 50.

    I am also very happy to see that there won't be one build that is viewed by many as "the best" or "the only". This will be the first game that I have played where I will be pretty unique.

    Also, I have never played a game with a class system quite like this. My prediction is that we may see other games in the future with systems similar to Rift's.

    ďThey say you are to be the greatest hero in a past Iíll never know. Learn this, and it shall be so:
    Let the only fear you ever know be the fear you inspire in your foes.
    If you can do that in your heart, glory will follow you.Ē

  4. #4
    Ascendant Hanlo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Nightmares
    Posts
    2,729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hydd View Post
    I had to sit on my hands for awhile and think on what this new class system is really going to mean for Rift and possibly future mmorpgs. This isn't the first game that will embody a multi-class, but it have be the furthest outside of D&D that class dipping has gone. With 51 soul points it would lead me to believe there will be 60 levels while the first 9 being soulless (more or less like WoW talents) and you will play your chosen archetype exactly the same as anyone else with the same archetype. You'll likely not see a dramatic difference between players until levels 40-60 and by that time there will be posts by hardcore min/maxxers saying that you need to be 'x' build to achieve 'y' dps. And like the sheep the majority of mmorpg players are, they will follow and copy the builds to be the uberpwners, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing.

    This class system is going to breed player made builds of all kinds (which is making me ecstatic), but in the end there will be a sticky with the optimal raid builds. You'll see things in /ooc like "Level 60 Spellblade (17/14/20) LFG" by several players, because that may be a popular build for endgame or pvp. This is more or less like the FOTM builds, but I think it's going to be more interested pugging with people not knowing what to expect. For example, you pick up a pug purifer whom you expect to heal, but then when he walks over to you you see him dual welding and you inspect him to find out he is heavily subclassed in the Gladiator soul which is more or less like when you pick up a battle cleric in DDO and /facepalm.

    Being a guild leader, I see this entire class system as a huge sigh of relief. It'll make it so if we haven't got enough of 'x' class and somebody wants to step up and reroll that certain class, they don't have to do so. They can go re-allocate their soul points. I've got a hunch that this system is going to make the contrast between adept players and inept players quite large which will further let me pick out bad eggs from good ones. This should also stop players to stop getting bored of their class because of whatever reason and instead go re-soul into another class letting them see the game from a different perspective. I'm just so stimulated about this class system!

    I'm, of course, just speculating and don't see this being such a revolutionary class system and that is not a bad thing. I'm continually excited for this game and all its bells & whistles!

    Now speculate with me
    It is in my belief that you get soul points on each level, but are unable to obtain a second soul until level 10 (or whatever they designate).

    Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

  5. #5
    Plane Touched hydd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Europe View Post
    There are 50.
    My fail. Ignorance is bliss... Until you write a post

  6. #6
    Shield of Telara Zinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    702

    Default

    I agree with you that from a guild raiding standpoint the class system allows a lot of flexibility. With raids limited to 20 people such a system means that guilds just need X number of people of either the 4 different archtypes or 8 classes depending if the souls are restricted by the 8 classes or by the 4 archtypes. Then they can fill in what is needed from souls as the need arises.

  7. #7
    Sword of Telara souper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    831

    Default

    I think that's one of the pluses of the system. While a class may be inferior in one particular facet of the game (like raiding) the person playing the character will never be useless (unless they suck) since they can just switch to something better. This sorta makes balancing a bit easier in a way since a class that isn't up-to-par in raiding but rocks in PvP doesn't have to be completely balanced for raiding reducing the chance for a PvP nerf. Of course, Trion should work towards better balance but they can pace themselves better this way.

  8. #8
    Prophet of Telara Eldran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    994

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hydd View Post
    Being a guild leader, I see this entire class system as a huge sigh of relief. It'll make it so if we haven't got enough of 'x' class and somebody wants to step up and reroll that certain class, they don't have to do so.
    That's why I hope. I'm just not betting on it yet until we see more details.
    Eldran, Destroyer of Worlds! (TM pending)

  9. #9
    Ascendant Europe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    East Lansing, Michigan
    Posts
    1,957

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by souper View Post
    I think that's one of the pluses of the system. While a class may be inferior in one particular facet of the game (like raiding) the person playing the character will never be useless (unless they suck) since they can just switch to something better. This sorta makes balancing a bit easier in a way since a class that isn't up-to-par in raiding but rocks in PvP doesn't have to be completely balanced for raiding reducing the chance for a PvP nerf. Of course, Trion should work towards better balance but they can pace themselves better this way.
    Exactly. I'm finding a lot of subtle little benefits in the structure of the system. Overall, it's very much "bring the player, not the class" and that's a great help to groups of friends/tight-knit guilds. You don't have to bring in outside help just because of what they rolled.
    <a href=http://www.trinityguild.org target=_blank>http://www.trinityguild.org/images/signatures/rift/sig_final.png</a>
    I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. I donít know.
    Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I donít want to answer.

  10. #10
    Ascendant Kalbuir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    2,265

    Default

    I agree with what you are saying but it made me wonder, how would gear work according to you guys? I am personally guessing that it will be based on your first class choose, but that would kinda set that one in stone unless you can switch that one also.

    Regards,
    Kalbuir

  11. #11
    RIFT Fan Site Operator Raive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,918

    Default

    Wait..hold on...hydd did you just copy paste my lecture i gave you on HoT's class system a year ago and put the hydd-flavor on it? Because it sure does!

    #retiredBear #teamBBCs #puffForeverMad

  12. #12
    Official Rift Fan Site Operator Ciovala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,085

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalbuir View Post
    I agree with what you are saying but it made me wonder, how would gear work according to you guys? I am personally guessing that it will be based on your first class choose, but that would kinda set that one in stone unless you can switch that one also.

    Regards,
    Kalbuir
    I'd assume (and I know what they say about assume) that you have limitations based on your first class. So if you chose some heavy armor type for 1st class and dumped most of your points into an elementalist soul (or something) that you couldn't then be a heavy armor elementalist - or there is a caveat to go along with it.

    A wiki is only as good as its contributors Ė won't you help?
    The original Rift Wiki - EN DE FR
    [Add a guild] [Add an Item] [Add a Quest]

  13. #13
    Ascendant Liziana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalbuir View Post
    I agree with what you are saying but it made me wonder, how would gear work according to you guys? I am personally guessing that it will be based on your first class choose, but that would kinda set that one in stone unless you can switch that one also.

    Regards,
    Kalbuir
    I would say that if your main archetype was a plate wearer then you wanted to put all your points into a caster, you would be an extremely weak one, even in plate, as you wouldn't have the stats, class passive skills, mana base of the elementalist.
    If you say plz instead of please, I say no because it's shorter than yes.

  14. #14
    Plane Walker Skorne's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    415

    Default

    I'm not sure there will be any limitations, remember everyone gets the same options. Your plate wearing elementalist can then find himself in a lot of trouble when attacked by a blade dancer who can self heal.

  15. #15
    Official Rift Fan Site Operator Ciovala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,085

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skorne View Post
    I'm not sure there will be any limitations, remember everyone gets the same options. Your plate wearing elementalist can then find himself in a lot of trouble when attacked by a blade dancer who can self heal.
    There will have to be some caveats (even if it's not around armor), but it could of course just be that you get different buffs depending on what your archetype is.

    For example, I would think there should be some fundamental differences between a Mage and a Cleric at the base level. Otherwise why make a mage at all...you should just pick the cleric base and then dump all your points into elementalist, as you'd then have more protection.

    A wiki is only as good as its contributors Ė won't you help?
    The original Rift Wiki - EN DE FR
    [Add a guild] [Add an Item] [Add a Quest]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts