+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Speculations for the class system

My hats off to you sir, I respect obsession when it comes to hobbies (I'm not even sure I was there that early (although I never went on IRC anyways)). Still, I'd say you pretty well made my point regardless. He didn't appear to be referencing the people in the chatroom for maturity or early adoption even obliquely, but instead for the amount they played.
    Ipsa scientia potestas est

He actually referenced that crowd directly, as I highlighted. The type of player who was targeted by early EQ? The type of player in that chatroom? Both of those referred directly the the type of gamer I'm describing.

For anyone who was around at the time, I think the type of player targeted by early EQ is very clear and well defined.

Anyway, I'm not sure we're really disagreeing. The point was that "core gamer" has lost that original meaning, and is now just a marketing term referring to "something for everyone", which I would contend is not really possible. We'll see. How do you find a happy medium on things like the death penalty? Difficult, but maybe not impossible.
    "Behind this mask, there's an idea... and ideas are bulletproof." -V for Vendetta

forums - Fozzik's Hardware
    blog - The Last Bastion

Quote Originally Posted by Fozzik View Post
    He actually referenced that crowd directly, as I highlighted. The type of player who was targeted by early EQ? The type of player in that chatroom? Both of those referred directly the the type of gamer I'm describing.

For anyone who was around at the time, I think the type of player targeted by early EQ is very clear and well defined.
    I'm sure that kind of group would also share a number of other characteristics, but he clearly brought up the area he meant. True, there are other similarities but he didn't mark those. As far as early EQ, once again there's a number of characteristics there but he doesn't appear to be referring to all of them. I don't disagree about how you're characterizing those groups, but on those exact aspects being part of what he meant as far as the term went.

Quote Originally Posted by Fozzik View Post
    Anyway, I'm not sure we're really disagreeing. The point was that "core gamer" has lost that original meaning, and is now just a marketing term referring to "something for everyone", which I would contend is not really possible. We'll see. How do you find a happy medium on things like the death penalty? Difficult, but maybe not impossible.
    *shrugs*

We agree in general. I'm just particularly prone to marking fine distinctions, and given your last few posts I expect you have at least some degree of obsession over such things as well. Although, in this case the distinction is less on what it means, and more on whether the word has meanings beyond that point.

I suppose I also enjoy talking about those times though, it brings back memories. Despite what happened to Vanguard it was a lot less painful than anything I've been involved in recently (lot of crash and burns on MMOs I was anticipating heavily. I think the worst was HGL, which was actually a better game in alpha than at release...)
    Ipsa scientia potestas est

Plane Touched

Interesting stuff, thanks for the replies guys.

I think I'll file "core gamer" along with "HD MMO" for now then ;) I don't think I've seen Scott or any of the other developers answer this question - but has anyone asked it?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5