+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Speculations for the class system

Quote Originally Posted by Ciovala View Post
    There will have to be some caveats (even if it's not around armor), but it could of course just be that you get different buffs depending on what your archetype is.

For example, I would think there should be some fundamental differences between a Mage and a Cleric at the base level. Otherwise why make a mage at all...you should just pick the cleric base and then dump all your points into elementalist, as you'd then have more protection.
    Yeah I didn't mean someone who picked Champion was gonna be able to do the same ranged nukes as a warlock, just that I don't think there will be restrictions on choices for secondary and tertiary classes. I am guessing overpoweredness limitation will be done by an artificial effectiveness restriction such as 25% damage reduction for non-primary souls or, more likely, by gear. I doubt we will see plate with any caster stats on it so even if that champion puts 51 points in warlock he can't wear plate and do anywhere near the damage of a lock in robes. It's all speculation, still it's fun to speculate!

Quote Originally Posted by hydd View Post
    Being a guild leader, I see this entire class system as a huge sigh of relief. It'll make it so if we haven't got enough of 'x' class and somebody wants to step up and reroll that certain class, they don't have to do so. They can go re-allocate their soul points. Now speculate with me
    I think the system is very nice but I doubt if it will be easy to simply reallocate soul points. Have you found any Dev reference to that?
    Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Raive View Post
    Wait..hold on...hydd did you just copy paste my lecture i gave you on HoT's class system a year ago and put the hydd-flavor on it? Because it sure does!
    Because a year ago we knew about how the class system worked? I haven't ever been lectured by you, Raive

Quote Originally Posted by MacDeath View Post
    I think the system is very nice but I doubt if it will be easy to simply reallocate soul points. Have you found any Dev reference to that?
    No, but this is all speculation is it not? It's to be assumed that you will be able to reallocate your soul points, because without a feature like this the penalty for experimenting with new builds would be too great. It'll probably be based on a monetary charge and will exponentially rise each time you reallocate.

Im waiting until after E3 to cast my speculations... too much new information is mere days away.

Quote Originally Posted by Raive View Post
    Wait..hold on...hydd did you just copy paste my lecture i gave you on HoT's class system a year ago and put the hydd-flavor on it? Because it sure does!
    Hahaha... Busted! ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dekaden View Post
    Im waiting until after E3 to cast my speculations... too much new information is mere days away.
    I agree! Its mere 60 hours left before E3... And after that we can all speculate anything we want...
    I don't need to "Get a life."! I'm a Gamer! I have loads of Lifes! - - - Necromancy - happiness is an army of unstoppable, loyal, killing machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Elladar View Post
    Hahaha... Busted! ;)

I agree! Its mere 60 hours left before E3... And after that we can all speculate anything we want...
    I didn't copy/paste that from anywhere... I'm already feeling the affects of petty rivalry and it's not from whom I expected it. Hopefully E3 will tell us every intricate detail about Rift, so no speculation will be needed.

I am leaning positive on the system, provided there is balance, very DDO like with the class builds, how will gear affect a character? we shall all see, the positive is that if rewards are random for raids then a person can redistribute points oriented to maybe an uber piece they get, etc.
    Never explain — your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by hydd View Post
    I didn't copy/paste that from anywhere... I'm already feeling the affects of petty rivalry and it's not from whom I expected it. Hopefully E3 will tell us every intricate detail about Rift, so no speculation will be needed.
    Dont worry mate! I am just kidding. Its always good to see new information|speculations|discussions, and I am sure all members feel the same way! ;)
    I don't need to "Get a life."! I'm a Gamer! I have loads of Lifes! - - - Necromancy - happiness is an army of unstoppable, loyal, killing machines.

The article compared Rift's system with WoW, but I see more similarities to SWG.

The big difference though is that SWG didn't have 'levels', so it was easy to use up all your skill points in a short time. That happened to me and I quit after 10 months because there wasn't anything else to do to improve my character.

I like Rift's system better, but I am concerned with all the 'WoW' references in the article.
    Dual Targeting - The Targeting System of the Modern MMO

If the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy was made by today's MMO designers, the first 8 hours would be condensed into 30 minutes, and the last hour would be stretched out over 8.5 hours. It would be all about 'The Ending' and not about 'The Journey'.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyde View Post
    The article compared Rift's system with WoW, but I see more similarities to SWG.

The big difference though is that SWG didn't have 'levels', so it was easy to use up all your skill points in a short time. That happened to me and I quit after 10 months because there wasn't anything else to do to improve my character.

I like Rift's system better, but I am concerned with all the 'WoW' references in the article.
    That's just IGN being ******ed. They do that with everything.

Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

Quote Originally Posted by Slyde View Post

I don't remember how it worked with SWG. But I seem to remember a system that did grant base skills on the number of points spent in a tree as well as the specific skills in which you invested your points.

Maybe I'm thinking of Earth Eternal or some other title.

SWG Pre-CU:

You start with base classes at char select, you choose 1:
    Brawler, Marksemen, Scout, Entertainer, Artisian

once in the world you can learn any of these classes besides your normal class. Now as you start earning specific gear by doing the actions of your profession you earn XP and can learn new skills. These skill tree's lead you to elite professions (20+ of these) which again unlock new tree's.

You had a total of 250 points to spend and each skillbox had a certain value starting by 16 points for novice and then less per box after.

SWG CU:
    The update came and basicly dumped the game down, I won't go to much into it but now as you progressed to the skills a combat level was attached to your skills. If you had a certain amount of points or skill boxes allocated you would rise in level.

RIFT system also very much reminds me of SWG, however they seem to take it a good step further, since in SWG the combat abilities was mostly split per weapon. Meaning you could not use many abilities cross characters (not counting elite professions) it just gave you more to do or other ways of doing it.

Now I picture the RIFT system to be quite more, mixing abilities and souls, my hope is that RIFT will give glory to the great idea SWG had. I just hope they won't dumb it down along the lines because people need a slight learning curve to get used to it.

Learning curves are good, not something to be feared. In the end it will give you more and longer fun than a game that you instantly understand without effort.

Regards,
    Kalbuir

I agree Kal I am getting a definite SWG vibe from this class system as well ... i think thats why i am so excited about it I absolutely adored the way SWG did its class system. I was always hoping for something like it in a fantasy setting ... and now this game has something that sounds very similar.

WTB the above item .... mine broke

I never really played SWG that much, but I remember being a musician and people listened to me or something. =p

Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast