+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Guide/Info: How to use a controller playing rift. (less hand pain playing)

Default Guide/Info: How to use a controller playing rift. (less hand pain playing)

I am mostly making this guide for people with carpal tunnel syndrome, arthritis or any other muscle/nerve/joint ailments they might have in their hand. or who just those who prefer to use a controller.

I used xpadder (latest version) with a xbox 360 controller. Xpadder simulates the keyboard and mouse using your gamepad" - http://www.xpadder.com/ more information on where you can find the free version are in my posts below this one.

(version 5.2 and earlier are free 5.3 and above have to be purchased for $10).

1) after installing and opening xpadder you will get a pink image page in which you should press all the buttons on your controller.
    you will see on the left side image, sticks, dpad, buttons, triggers. click on sticks to set your analog sticks, dpad to set it etc

this is mine after all the buttons are pressed
    1= left analog, 2= right analog, 3= dpad, 4=left trigger, 5=right trigger, 6= buttons which include x,y,b,x,lb,rb,start, select, the buttons when you press the analogs down.

2) Then you assign which keys to which buttons as you will like. example my left analog stick is WASD, you can click on the little wrench next to to quick assign.

This is my button set up

Explanation of my set up:
    X= #1 on the keyboard,
    Y=2
    B=3
    A=4,
    Dpad left = 5
    Dpad up=6
    Dpad right= 7
    Dpad Down= 8
    LAD (left analog button)= left click
    RAB (Right analog button)= space (jump)
    Left button (the button above the trigger) = Tab (for targeting)
    Start button is blank but can be used for 9 or any other key you want.

Ctrl+= second hot bar
    Alt+= third skill hot bar.
    examplenot my screenshot forgot to take some but will upload with mine later

My right analog is my mouse and my Right button is my right click (this is easiest for me to move my camera around and right click and interact-able objects in game). I will advice though to click on the little wrench next to the right analog stick go to mouse settings and adjust the movement speed of it.

With this set up you can have 24 hot keys on your controller allowing you to fully utilize a lot of your skills.
    Some small problems in targeting in this game as a whole, that is why i have esc as the back(select button) to quickly un-target and re-target.
    It will take a little bit of time getting use to and the main problem is remember all your skills.

Feel free to ask questions or FLAME since i know some of you are going to, but i do not have big hands to be pressing CTRL+8 and moving the mouse while chasing down a caster/kiter that is killing the flag holder in black garden.
    Last edited by Bloodless; 02-22-2011 at 06:21 PM.
    My Guide on how to use a controller to play Rift. Here
    <Banished>

In the original post I have only shown 24 hotkeys but one button(the start button) is not used but could used for 9, alt+9, ctrl+9. Personally I would use them for heal potions and or summon pet/mount
    Last edited by Bloodless; 02-21-2011 at 08:55 PM.
    <Banished>

3rd page already wtf, BUMP

EDIT: to make these bump posts useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodless View Post
    There is a free version which can be found here Here and the paid version cost $10 I was impressed and decided to support the dev. Also the free version is from 2008 while as the paid version was last updated in June.

EDIT: As long as Windows see anything as a controller such as the wii controllers *would require 3party programs to make their libs or even the kinetic it can be mapped with xpadder to use as a controller.

The kinetic I am excited about because one of my friends from childhood got paralyzed who was a BIG gamer and could not play videos games for over 2 years because of restricted movement.
    Last edited by Bloodless; 02-21-2011 at 11:18 PM.
    <Banished>

Soulwalker

Please read the Code of Conduct:

http://forums.riftgame.com/faq.php?f...ode_of_conduct

Point 8 of section 1 reads; "No thread bumps please. Bumping threads adds nothing to the topic at hand, and is discouraged. This also includes petition threads."

Please refrain from this course of action and take your console blasphemy elsewhere.

Blasphemy aside, these kinds of games were just not meant to be played with a controller. Even if it works, the lack of keys, among other things, is just awful. I guess if it's the only way you can play, then go for it, but I just can't see this being effective.
    <The Project Hate> on Faeblight
    Nekronomica - Nekronomicon - Nekronomia - Nekronomis

Rift Disciple

Are you guys really bashing on this person for bumping a very useful post he created? Instead try saying "thank you" for taking the time to write this up. I am sure there are other individuals with disabilities or that would prefer using a controller that might find this very useful.

If you are going to get mad at him for bumping it then you should just feel ashamed of yourself seriously. Who the **** do you think you are?

They should sticky this for other people who may not know about the program or ability to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hhug View Post
    If you are going to get mad at him for bumping it then you should just feel ashamed of yourself seriously. Who the **** do you think you are?
    Sir please watch your language in accordance with Code of Conduct article 4 paragraph 2B.

Quote Originally Posted by Hhug View Post
    Are you guys really bashing on this person for bumping a very useful post he created? Instead try saying "thank you" for taking the time to write this up. I am sure there are other individuals with disabilities or that would prefer using a controller that might find this very useful.

They should sticky this for other people who may not know about the program or ability to do this.
    I agree with Hhug. They should be ashamed to try and bash this helpful person whom has done nothing to them and actually trying to help members of our society that have limiting physical factors. I have family with the same issue and although they dont wish to play mmo's it is awesome that there is a person out there not just playing them but helping others with advice on how they can play with less pain.
    There have been studies on how video games help people with chronic pain and other pain ailments.
    I commend the OP and will report anyone trolling him.

Quote Originally Posted by twincannon View Post
    Stop bumping your thread, it's against forum TOS and no one cares about your casual nonsense.
    Same could be said for you. But thanks for making your smart *** comment, gave me the opportunity to bump the post.

So complications has only at this time 3 posts and they all are trolling this OP. oh and shameless bump

Shield of Telara

All the drama aside, this is a helpful post and I'm sure people will appreciate it. I have tendinitis in both my arms, and if I were to use a controller I'm sure this would be good information to have.
    Hunbun - Female Dwarf Cleric - Faemist
    Missy - Female Kelari Warrior - Faemist
    Pilgrim - Male Mathosian Mage - Faemist

Thank you for this writeup. I have chronic pain in my right wrist, and on the days I'm not doing important things with the guild, I might use this to grind levels with. Ignore the trolls, some of us do appreciate it.

NO please read that I agree with you hhug and that the others that are bashing and trolling him are bad. We are on the same side of this issue I am quite sure.

God please stop it makes no difference if you put this up here one way or another, why would you even put something about getting flamed or trolls etc one way or another in the OP.

Soulwalker

How are they trolling? they are just pointing out that you guys are violating the rules.

If anyone is childish and trolling in here, its you guys insulting the people pointing out the rules.
    Due to the population that the forums attract, balancing the game on the forums alone is like predicting the weather with a thermometer.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast