+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Guide to Being a Great Beta Tester

Default Guide to Being a Great Beta Tester

After searching to see if anyone else created a similar I decided to compile all the information I think is good in one thread for the New and Veteran Testers.

Paranoid's Guide to Being a Great Beta Tester

Contents:
    DOs and DONTs
    Example of Good/Bad Reports
    Using the Search Feature on Forums
    Respect

Original Post by Izzy on RIFT Forums
    The Good:
    1. DO report bugs with vast amounts of information, screenshots and timestamps.
    2. DO test as many features as possible in as many ways as possible.
    3. DO consult with other tester's for answer's to potential problems you maybe experiencing in-game before making an angry post in the forums.
    4.DO suggest as many changes with as many justifications for your creative suggestion's.
    5.DO support creative new approaches to in-game abilities,play styles and progression types.

The Bad:
    1. DO NOT play the beta like a shareware demo - It's a beta, not a temp F2P free ride
    2. DO NOT come to the forums to complain at dev's and players alike because "the servers are down AGAIN!"
    3. DO NOT expect conformity within feature sets and game play (this is rift, not "insert the game you're thinking about here")
    4. DO NOT play the beta for 1 day, then proceed to come and make final judgement's on "how utterly terribad this game is" because your experience was not what you expected.

Original Post by landisaurus on Stardock Forums
    Basically, play the game and note whenever something goes wrong.

It is best if you can explain
    "what went wrong" (what needs improvement)
    "When and where it went wrong" (How to see what needs improvement)
    "How do you reproduce it? if possible" (Why it needs to be improved)

If you can provide answers to these questions (and do so) you are likely a good beta tester. Often it is best to explain "what went wrong?" with information that includes screenshots, videos, or crashdumps, in the case that words are not enough to give a bug or glitch justice.

Having the ability to communicate through text and the drive to do so is obviously important. If many people give bugs they discover with the above questions (or provide feedback with the questions in brackets) then the public beta should contribute very well to the final product.

An example of a BAD piece of feedback would be:
    "I think the matchmaking system sucks. It needs to be better"

An example of a GOOD piece of feedback would be:
    "I find waiting for matches to be very long and boring. I don't think my attention span lasts for over 5 min, and if that is required to find a match, then at least provide some sort of noise or queue to let me be aware a match was found since I am unlikely to still be watching my screen after 5 min.

Another thing I noticed was that often when it does find a match, a player drops almost every time, and the teams end up being unbalanced. I know I'm behind a Linksys router with Cox as my ISP and my connection is generally pretty stable, but I wanted to share my information to help narrow down where an issue my exist."

Using the Search Feature on the forums can save the readers and the administrators a ton a grief.

The RIFT Forum's search feature is easy to find and easy to use. It is located at the top right portion of the web page. It consists of a white text box followed by this picture: A tiny magnifying glass. Below the text box are the words "Advanced search" in white.

Please remember that there is usually a thread already on the forums with your topic and/or issue and multiple threads about the same thing clutter the forums. Almost always it takes less time to search for a thread than to create one.

Respect your fellow Beta Testers!
    Not everyone's opinion is the same and arguing over the internet has never gotten anyone anywhere

Add this to the "DOs"... Put it in the correct forum.

Good thread nevertheless.
    Last edited by Elux; 12-02-2010 at 03:48 PM.

Guild Leader of Reborn.
    Steampike-EU.
    -Disbanded-

I will probably end up doing bi or tri weekly posts and just plop down all the info I have come across or thought of.

Not too big on cluttering up the forums with 1 phrased threads :3
    Last edited by Tattlefox; 12-02-2010 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tattlefox View Post
    I will probably end up doing bi or tri weekly posts and just plop down all the info I have come across or thought of.

Not too big on cluttering up the forums with 1 phrased threads :3
    Aside from this one?
    Senior Officer of Legend ( Endless US PvE )

Quote Originally Posted by Corwynn_Maelstrom View Post
    Aside from this one?
    wait what? XD

Default Screenshots

does xfire work here for screenshots? Sorry I am noob on some things.
    From the corner of your eye, you see a flicker. A whisper of a sound you strain to hear.
    Blood from my blades you didn't feel. I am gone.

Very good thread, nothing new here; It's mainly common sense.
    Being a beta tester requires common sense, but i have to point out one thing :

We are stress-testing.

Yes, it would be ideal if everyone acted like Alpha-testers and looked for bugs/glitches and attempted gamebreaking but that isn't the main reason they're allowing us to play, its to help stress their servers till breaking limit. It will also give them an idea of what has a tendency to go wrong from account activation to gameplay, so indeed people have the 'green light' on playing it like a f2p piece of shareware. However frowned upon that is ofcourse.
    Reborn - Hardcore EU Raiders

Actually very informative post here. Most people would hope that the above guideliens were common sesne, but you know how people can be.

I'm fairly certain that as with many things in life, that the majority of beta-testers will approach it respectfully; however, I am also certain that a few bad applies will emerge as always.

Quote Originally Posted by Elux View Post

That made me lol.

/signed
    Quote Originally Posted by Wat View Post
    When a flat-chested girl hugs you, she holds you closer to her heart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xlugon Pyro View Post
    I have a bottle right next to me but if attractive women looked like that I might as well be gay.

Default Multi Monitors

How this will operate with duel monitor setup? I plan on having game process running on one screen with forums/irc/vent/teamspeak open in the other.

Will this run in a Window'd mode?

Rex
    ---------

Quote Originally Posted by Elux View Post

After all the useless threads you've spammed us with over the last couple months I'm surprised you had the nerve to post this lol
    So much to do, so little time. We must get to work! Zathras! Zathras! Grrr, never around when he is needed!

Quote Originally Posted by Expanse View Post
    After all the useless threads you've spammed us with over the last couple months I'm surprised you had the nerve to post this lol
    research wins again.

Quote Originally Posted by RexKramer View Post
    How this will operate with duel monitor setup? I plan on having game process running on one screen with forums/irc/vent/teamspeak open in the other.

Will this run in a Window'd mode?

Rex
    ---------
    Yes under setting you can choose window mode

Quote Originally Posted by Expanse View Post
    That made me lol so hard I scared my dogs.

+ Reply to Thread