Closed Thread
Page 1 of 220 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: "we will add RVR if the players want it" ... well let them know here that we want it

Soulwalker

Default "we will add RVR if the players want it" ... well let them know here that we want it

just heard in an interview Scott Hartsman said they would consider adding an RVR type area if players want it.

I say let your voices be heard here and let them know we want an RVR zone!

My take on this:

I would love to see an area like this, if it were done well.

However, on PvE servers, I think it should count as an "autoflag" -- meaning, if you go there with autoflag turned off, you don't get flagged. You can't do anything about the PvP goals, since you're not flagged and can't affect flagged targets, but that way the happy little carebear explorers can sit in a corner of the map trying to wall-walk in case there's some artifacts up on that hill without worrying.

Make the PvP stuff interesting and rewarding, and it'll attract a fair amount of players, I'd guess. Just... Find out what Blizzard did with Wintergrasp, and never do anything like it, because I never met someone who didn't hate it.

I want this! And it should be an area which where you can be attacked even on PvE servers, an area dedictated entirely to PvP, with PvP objectives.
    Heinrich - Justicar, Firesand (RP-PvP)
    Member of Blackwolf
    "I'm a wizard, and that is f-d up"

I'm genuinely ignorant. What is "RvR"?

Quote Originally Posted by hckling View Post
    I want this! And it should be an area which where you can be attacked even on PvE servers
    No.

, an area dedictated entirely to PvP, with PvP objectives.
    Great!

But it is a Bad Thing to, ever, for any reason, add a place that flags people who didn't intentionally flag. That way lies griefing.

The entire point of a PvE server is that if you see someone flagged, you know that they flagged intentionally and they would welcome PvP activity. As soon as you say "ahh, but this zone flags you even if you didn't try to flag", you have created the possibility that the flagged player you see is not a willing participant. That means that if you attack them, you're making the game less fun rather than more fun.

Wheaton's Law applies. Don't be a jerk. Attacking people who do not want to engage in PvP is being a jerk. A region which flags people who did not willingly flag makes it hard to avoid being a jerk.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ash View Post
    WAR called some of their PvP stuff "Realm vs. Realm" to distinguish it from individual 1-on-1 PvP, or something to that effect.

Rea

noninstanced big pvp zone with neutral buildings to claim for each faction, which provide some kind of global bonus
    Quote Originally Posted by Delolith View Post
    A class loosing 1/4 of its DPS is certainly not a nerf

As long as it's done well, like DAoC it would be cool. If it's half assed like warhammer and others dont bother with it, waste of time.

There needs to be an incentive to going there, just like DAoC had exp grinding, raids & castle sieges ect.

Not to mention your whole realm would get effected by the relics, which ment people actualy wanted to help out the realm, even if they were primary into pve.

Only problem for rift is, the 3 way dynamic is abseloutly vital for realm versus realm combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rea View Post
    noninstanced big pvp zone with neutral buildings to claim for each faction, which provide some kind of global bonus
    This sounds like what Blizzard was attempting with Tol Barad and Wintergrasp.

I like the idea as long as those dedicated to PvE can avoid the area with relative ease and it's not required for PvE progression in any sense of the word.

Soulwalker

OMG I want this. I would love a dedicated RvR zone even on PvE servers. And going into the zone should automatically flag you as the sole purpose of the zone would be RvR.

Quote Originally Posted by tgreene View Post
    OMG I want this. I would love a dedicated RvR zone even on PvE servers. And going into the zone should automatically flag you as the sole purpose of the zone would be RvR.
    Again, no. Not on a PvE server. Screw that.

... Unless the zone is instanced and not part of the world, in which case it's fine by me, same as any other warfront.

But if it's part of the world, it must not flag anyone who has autoflagging turned off on a PvE server. The reason we're on a PvE server is, in many cases, that we want to explore the world without doing any PvP. Ever. So a big, hearty, "no!" to any proposal that something flag people on PvE servers.

If you want non-consensual PvP, you know where to find it.

This sounds like what Blizzard was attempting with Tol Barad and Wintergrasp.

I like the idea as long as those dedicated to PvE can avoid the area with relative ease and it's not required for PvE progression in any sense of the word.

Ya but those never truly captured it like say DAoC did. There were small elements to DAoC that WoW seemed to miss or at least was never designed for.

Like Rogues being able to infiltrate castles by climbing the sides.

Or the massive walks to said castles as you protected trebuchets to take down the walls. It was slow yes but awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Again, no. Not on a PvE server. Screw that.

... Unless the zone is instanced and not part of the world, in which case it's fine by me, same as any other warfront.

But if it's part of the world, it must not flag anyone who has autoflagging turned off on a PvE server. The reason we're on a PvE server is, in many cases, that we want to explore the world without doing any PvP. Ever. So a big, hearty, "no!" to any proposal that something flag people on PvE servers.

If you want non-consensual PvP, you know where to find it.
    DAoC had a separate area that you chose to go into if you wanted.
    Last edited by Keniption; 02-21-2011 at 12:42 AM.

Uh, have you ever looked up dark age of camelot?

I lol'ed at alot of the comments in this thread, seriously, it's like if it wasnt in a game 2 years or less ago, it's never happened in the gaming world.

Oh hell yes! This game has RvR already in a way, might as well go all out and make it as good as it can be.
    Understanding the Sab
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...b-is-wild-card

50 Assassin/Riftstalker/Infiltrator
    Prestige 3

Ace

I like an RVR dedicated region sometimes even on PVE servers as it is a specific place you can go play by choice rather than something forced on you. However, making it work is another matter entirely. Something noteworthy needs to be at stake. I was always struck by how empty of players Burning Crusade RVR content was even during it's prime in that other game.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 220 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 101 ... LastLast