+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Kill stealing (PvE only)

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Coppertone View Post
    a.k.a. carebear.

people are so spoiled by the simplicity of the " smashing your face on a keyboard" style that is WoW that they forget what an actual challenge feels like.

I play an MMO on a regular basis that when you die, someone can full loot your corpse. Don't even get me started on weaksauce like "ksing." lol, you have to be kidding me. People are so soft nowadays it's ridiculous.
    I play a few games that are PvP centric and a few that are PvE. I know the term carebear is often meant as derogatory but I never take it that why. When I play the PvE games I don't want to be on edge all the time. It has nothing to do with being soft, I want to relax and chat with friends or just solo in peace. I also get interrupted a lot when I play so end up going afk sometimes for long periods of time. If that's carebear, then that's fine by me.

The PvP folks just play a different way. Its silly for either side to criticize the other for their play style. Unless the game is a PvP or PvE only game. I hate when PvP players complain about PvE games or the other way around. If its a PvP game and you complain about someone killing you, go play a PvE game if that's what you like.

Discussing what you would like to see the rules be on a game that sounds like it will have both PvE and PvP areas/ servers is a valid discussion.

Kill stealing is annoying, but it may not matter during the Rift events. You get exp/ loot for participation, not for the kill itself. But hopefully we will see in 5 days !

The problem with term like kill stealing, and carebear, is they are used to justify the action of people being able to do whatever they want....

"If you do not like me kill stealing you can go somewhere else!"

"If you do not want me to camp your corpse for 15 hours go back to your carebear server!"

You get the idea......

Quote Originally Posted by Elethor View Post
    I have only experienced 2 types of this. WoW has the first hit deal and I like that one the most. Aion featured the most damage dealt and that screwed over the less DPS oriented classes as a Sorc or a Ranger could just run up and take it.

I would be more in favor of the first hit method but in all honesty there is nothing that you can do to prevent kill stealing, about the only 2 things you can do are talk to them (if the same faction) and hope they will stop (which they normally won't). Or get a GM to talk to them and/or remove them for player harassment. In the end it boils down to the type of people that will play Rift and how many of them will be that immature.

Edit I am of course referring to regular mobs and not Rifts.
    i am with on this one, i also played those 2 games and had the same problem in Aion as i was a templar...and i think the best way to help combat this problem is for the community to treat kill stealing the same as ninja looting...guilds making it a kicking offense and the community as a whole not grping with/not letting these kind of ppl experience the rest of the game that requires grps and team play as they are not team players. they are selfish so let them be selfish and play alone.just my opinion.
    "It is what it is!" PVPVE East Coast Raiding

Meh ...

Is it annoying & aggravating? Indeed.

Is it detrimental to my game play? Not so much.

Do we need a special script to govern against such annoyances? Naaah.

Personally I just chalk it off as part of playing a MMORPG, where you will meet all walks of life, the good along with the assfleas.

Just spew obscenities to vent and move on to a different quest or something. Not that big of a deal, I don't think.
    "Better change the Captain of your brain-ship because he's drunk at the wheel."

~ Dr Perry Cox, SCRUBS

Quote Originally Posted by Kezic View Post
    I know the term carebear is often meant as derogatory
    I dont take it that way. What chaps my hide is that PvPers think they are hardcore. Most have NO idea what a hardcore PvP environment is all about.

The term hardcore belong with casual. Folks that play a lot, vs folks that have a life.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9949&dateline=1285304  790

It seems like most of the people in this thread are forgetting that this is a game, and everyone that plays it should be able to have an enjoyable experience. Obviously, if you roll on a pvp server then getting ganked is something you signed up for. But saying Devs shouldn't bother dealing with people harassing and kill stealing? Seriously?

Telling people to go somewhere else if they are being KSed is a "blame the victim" fallacy. The person doing the killstealing is the one who should be punished, not the person just trying to do their own thing. I'm sure there will be things in-game to prevent it, but we won't know what they are until beta.

Champion of Telara Nightbringer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordOberon View Post
    Sorry the only way to prevent that form of kill stealing is FFA pvp. not even faction pvp can help you.. (and then it has its own issues)

People say they only want PvE but they dont want to accept that they are still playing AGAINST other players in one way shape or form.. IMHO they shouldn't waste resources to try to code against it.. Rather suggest that players actually /GASP talk to eachother and work things out
    EQII's approach was to give players the option to lock encounters to the first person to tag them.

The other option I've seen work was back in EQ when they actually had GM's in-game. If you had an individual or group constantly kill stealing you, you could petition and an invisible GM would show up and watch. Of course, the tight knit community and it's disdain for kill stealing was also a strong incentive to play fair. Someone with a bad reputation would have a very difficult time getting a group.

Rifts are a different matter. Public contribution is both permitted and expected, with rewards based off total contribution, including healing, buffs and damage dealt.
    Last edited by Nightbringer; 11-27-2010 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinadass View Post
    It seems like most of the people in this thread are forgetting that this is a game, and everyone that plays it should be able to have an enjoyable experience. Obviously, if you roll on a pvp server then getting ganked is something you signed up for. But saying Devs shouldn't bother dealing with people harassing and kill stealing? Seriously?

Telling people to go somewhere else if they are being KSed is a "blame the victim" fallacy. The person doing the killstealing is the one who should be punished, not the person just trying to do their own thing. I'm sure there will be things in-game to prevent it, but we won't know what they are until beta.
    Look, If someone is constantly following you around and purposely tagging mobs that you are trying to tag then that is not kill stealing it's harassment,that's a whole other subject.

If someone takes a mob that you killed then you never see him again,that's life, move on and forget about it but keeps his name in your mind.

Being known for killing stealing will come back to bite him/her in the behind.

That's about all you can do.
    Last edited by Ineluki-Storm; 11-27-2010 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AMEI View Post
    I dont take it that way. What chaps my hide is that PvPers think they are hardcore. Most have NO idea what a hardcore PvP environment is all about.
    I'm not sure what you mean by this, what is a hardcore PvP environment in your mind? Why do you think most PvPers don't understand a "hardcore" environment?

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbringer View Post
    Of course, the tight knit community and it's disdain for kill stealing was also a strong incentive to play fair. Someone with a bad reputation would have a very difficult time getting a group.
    This type of justice only works in the absence of Big Brother stepping in and making rules, you can't have it both ways. I prefer this model where the game developer makes the world, and the community makes the social rules. I don't want Big Brother's hand in my business.

With that said, reward for amount of aggro accumulated works for me, sorta like WAR except it needs to work. Some type of random mechanic can be thrown in to take care of Boss Drops.

If you don't like being left in the cold when you are flying solo then join a guild. I hear too many people complain that the Big Guild gets the reward and the little guy is left all alone. Well, I am so sorry, but it takes an expedition to bring back the gold, not something some lone explorer can do on their own. If you want to go it alone, you won't accomplish as much. Fair way of doing things, acutally.

As far as KS'rs go. Let their reputation be their demise. If they irritate you, find something else to do for 30min.

Soulwalker

well giving exp to first hit and nothing to others as long as damage continues is a fair game in PVE i think.
    concerning pvp since it won't be a hardcore pvp like shadowbane there should be rules to prevent ganking from too much higher levels in the area or something like that since the first problem is that rules if ill thought are exploited by gankers who would live in a hardcore pvp game.
    basicly either pvp in instances with level limits with some pve or just a good old bloody battlefield where there is nowhere to hide when you were caught ganking on lowbies and chain kill until you delete that character hum sorry i got nostalgic^^

Telaran

I think xp should be destributed evenly to the Raid/Group that did the most damage. If you are solo, get a group.

from what i understand in a rift event mobs dont drop loot but you are rewarded contribution based upon how much dmg/healing you do, i dont really think killstealing will be an issue with the rift system as it stands.

if you ever played warhammer online look at their public quest system i imagine the contribution will work much the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Zewlu View Post
    I think xp should be destributed evenly to the Raid/Group that did the most damage. If you are solo, get a group.
    Not gonna happen like this. This fosters competition, not cooperation, something they are specifically trying to avoid. The idea is not to be upset when others show up at a rift, but to appreciate the help, because *everyone* gets more rewards than they would have alone. At least that's been my understanding of it when devs have talked about the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Leovinus View Post
    Not gonna happen like this. This fosters competition, not cooperation, something they are specifically trying to avoid. The idea is not to be upset when others show up at a rift, but to appreciate the help, because *everyone* gets more rewards than they would have alone. At least that's been my understanding of it when devs have talked about the system.
    heh i gathered the same feeling from the dev videos and podcasts.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast