+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Am I missing anything with alt crafting?

Shadowlander

Default Am I missing anything with alt crafting?

My plan is that my first char will be mining/foraging/butchering and then I will have couple alts that are pure crafters and use materials my main will collect. Am I going to miss something by not crafting with my main char? Are there some faction or other recipies that are no-trade and I can't transfer them to my crafting alts when I get them with my main?

What are your plans with crafting?

Rift Disciple

I'm pretty sure there are crafting recipes that require faction to obtain. I'm pretty sure they are non transferable.

So yes.

Next beta check the rep vendors in your main town (IE sanctum).

Rift Disciple

I am glad there are people like you out there. I plan on just doing warfronts and generally doing what I enjoy. Guys like me need guys like you to make our leveling armor. Unless Trion gave us Warfront gear that can be bought with Valor. Thanks for doing what you do and try to keep the stuff cheap because we don't make much money in those warfronts because we're usually splitting 38 silver ten ways.

It probably depends on whether your crafting alts will be max level at any point or not. The crafting quests which give the currency to buy tokens will probably be rough to do on low level alts. I didn't max out crafting last beta, but some of them had me delivering to towns that I wouldn't be able to get to on a level 10 character.

There are a number of types of recipes that a low lvl character will have trouble getting -

- recipes bought with tokens from the daily crafting quests
    - recipes that require reputation to buy, this rep is gained from the daily crafting quests and other quests.

These are definitely in game in beta, the recipes are bind on pickup. A low lvl character would probably struggle to get either of these.

Zir
    Shadowlander

I think Rift was really smart in allowing three professions instead of two. I would recommend taking two gathering professions the relevant crafting on your main. This will let you fully level you crafting while still having extra mats to send to your alts for their crafting.

For example, on your main you could take mining, foraging, and weaponsmithing. Mining and foraging are all you need to fully lvl weaponsmithing, but you will still have extra mats like jewels and plants. Then on your first alt you can take something like jewelcrafting and two othe gathering professions. Much easier that way, I think.

Soulwalker

Default Crafting alts

I actually did something like this in Beta 5 and 6. My main is a lvl 35 warrior now, armorsmith 170 / butchering 170 / mining 170 something like that i think. I have a 'crafting alt' that is level 12 i believe, a mage, his professions are outfitter 170 / artificer 110 (IRON gimme IRON) / foraging 30 somehting (i am dropping this last one i think though).

As posters above have written, you will get trouble / it will be impossible getting:

A) Enough tokens (forgot the exact name) to buy the token recipes gotten in main town. Remember you get these tokens by doing the daily workorders in your main hub (Sanctum for me). When higher level, the workorders you get are only the highest tier and the one below that. If your skill gets higher, these workorders will have to be delivered to zones which are of similar level as the workorder. So my poor little lvl 12 mage had to take his heavy leather boots to the middle of Scarwood reach in order to get those needed tokens. It was fun to get there, managed to die only 3-4 times and got to the porticulum. I live on a PvE server, you probably would not be able to do this on a PvP server. So This is a bit difficult but doable on PvE server.

B) Enough reputation to buy recipes from certain faction related vendors located at the different zones. You 'might' get powerleveled through quests to gain enough reputation or something (I doubt it though), but if you go that way I'd say just level the toon and get the quests done yourself. So these recipes you would miss out on if you stay low level.

There are however as far as I have seen many more category A recipes than category B. I might be wrong there, could depend on the profession too.

Hope this helps you make your choices wisely.
    Last edited by Klurt; 02-12-2011 at 04:10 AM.

I go for gathering and later i go for a crafting prof

Shadowlander

My take on it I guess is really how often you play. I do the 1 toon crafter, and 1 toon supplier as well. This way it only takes 2 toons to make everything instead of more. So, as you need 4 toons total to play every class that leaves 2 toons for crafting, and 2 for supply. Basically you need to be an alt-aholic to do it successfully this way.

1. Your suppliers need to stay at or just above the level of your crafters.So you have to play at least 3 religiously.
    2. You have to use your crafters for all raids / quests where there is a rare recipe drop that is not transferable. (Will they actually have soulbound recipes? Can anyone verify this?)
    3. Group your 2 crafters so that they the crafts are ingredient related. For example 1st Crafter is Armor/Weapon/Outfitting and the other crafter is Rune Crafter/Artificer/Apothecary.
    4. Until there are cross character banks, guild banks or something of the like you need to find a way to mule the materials to your crafters.

LAB

Im very curious too .

I didnt discover the daily crafting quest till late last beta . But it seems to take a while to do . And i only got to the secound one .

I would like a more comprehensive list of what everyone crafts , to help me decide what type of crafter to be .

As for gathering , butchering seems to be the easiest and the one most likely all the non-crafters will have to make gold . So Im thinking plenty of them mats will be on the auction house .
    F Troop ...couse everyone else is to dang serious !

pid

Quote Originally Posted by Heka View Post
    My plan is that my first char will be mining/foraging/butchering and then I will have couple alts that are pure crafters and use materials my main will collect. Am I going to miss something by not crafting with my main char? Are there some faction or other recipies that are no-trade and I can't transfer them to my crafting alts when I get them with my main?

What are your plans with crafting?
    Why do this? craft with the main char, the limiting fastor is time, not space (you can get much space and money on the bank later on). to have more diversity (crafting professions) you actually need an alt, but you can just roll 3 chars or so and cover them all. when you feel those crafters are too low a level, just level them up too and you are set.

but I wouldn't have the main not craft at all. this can't go very well.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by pid View Post
    Why do this? craft with the main char, the limiting fastor is time, not space (you can get much space and money on the bank later on). to have more diversity (crafting professions) you actually need an alt, but you can just roll 3 chars or so and cover them all. when you feel those crafters are too low a level, just level them up too and you are set.

but I wouldn't have the main not craft at all. this can't go very well.
    The reason why I'm planning this is that there is only need for one character to raise the harvesting skills and I can do any crafting profession without raising second character in combat levels. When I'm starting a new crafting char I can just go the low level zones with my high level character and harvest easily without mobs bothering me too much.

If I take 2 harvesting skills and one crafting skill for main I'm good with the crafting skills I choose. But then when I start a crafter that uses the materials my main can't get I have to raise that alt in combat exp also just so I'm able to raise the harvesting skill I'm missing.

It might be better option to actually go with 2 harvesting skills and one crafting skill with the first char and then 1 harvesting skills and 2 crafting skills with the second char. That way I can have faction recipies and daily quests easier for at least 3 crafting professions.

I think I need to test this better in the open beta.

I'm curious to see how much of the top end crafting gear is BoP. Would really help if i could have alts to make the gear for my cleric.
    Whether the glass is half full or half empty, there is still only half there.

Quote Originally Posted by Heka View Post
    The reason why I'm planning this is that there is only need for one character to raise the harvesting skills and I can do any crafting profession without raising second character in combat levels. When I'm starting a new crafting char I can just go the low level zones with my high level character and harvest easily without mobs bothering me too much.

If I take 2 harvesting skills and one crafting skill for main I'm good with the crafting skills I choose. But then when I start a crafter that uses the materials my main can't get I have to raise that alt in combat exp also just so I'm able to raise the harvesting skill I'm missing.

It might be better option to actually go with 2 harvesting skills and one crafting skill with the first char and then 1 harvesting skills and 2 crafting skills with the second char. That way I can have faction recipies and daily quests easier for at least 3 crafting professions.

I think I need to test this better in the open beta.
    I've come across a list of recipes for the various crafting skills at http://rift.ign.com/wiki/Crafting

This basically shows that you'll only be able to craft green items with trainer learned recipes. All the good stuff (blue and purple quality items) is from recipes vendors/faction vendors, and it's unlikely that a low lvl character would get access to these. The daily quests require going to a NPC to hand the items in, and these NPCs are in zones of a level appropriate to the crafting level, so expect to have to go to lvl 40+ zones to hand in items for high level daily crafting quests.

All the recipes from vendors are bind on pickup.The high level epic crafted items themselves all seem to be bind on equip.

Not sure how complete those lists are though, it could well be that they're missing recipes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinge View Post
    I've come across a list of recipes for the various crafting skills at http://rift.ign.com/wiki/Crafting

This basically shows that you'll only be able to craft green items with trainer learned recipes. All the good stuff (blue and purple quality items) is from recipes vendors/faction vendors, and it's unlikely that a low lvl character would get access to these. The daily quests require going to a NPC to hand the items in, and these NPCs are in zones of a level appropriate to the crafting level, so expect to have to go to lvl 40+ zones to hand in items for high level daily crafting quests.

All the recipes from vendors are bind on pickup.The high level epic crafted items themselves all seem to be bind on equip.

Not sure how complete those lists are though, it could well be that they're missing recipes.
    If they are BoE then it would really help crafter finances. Not to mention being able to make things for our guild/friends rather than a list of useless recipes that we can make but have no use for and can't sell/trade to those that can.
    Last edited by Astor; 02-12-2011 at 09:32 AM.
    Whether the glass is half full or half empty, there is still only half there.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast