+ Reply to Thread

Thread: (Community Contest) Design a Battleground PvP game

Default (Community Contest) Design a Battleground PvP game

~~~(Community Contest) Design a Battleground PvP game~~~

Cross Server Instanced battleground: code name ( Tempest Gorge )

(Please excuse map texture, since I originally came up with this idea for WoW, but it fits Rift's 2 faction design as well.)

Tempest Gorge, is a new persistent Cross Server PvP zone. What makes Tempest Gorge different from other OWPvP gameplay in the game , is the fact that this zone functions similar to a BG, in which it is a Cross Server area. Players from their Battleground network can enter Tempest Gorge and play alongside other players from different servers, as long as they are in the same battleground network, similar to the way BG queues function.

What Makes Tempest Gorge different from other Battleground games that may be in the game, is the fact that players can freely enter and leave this zone at will, without restrictions, unlike BG games. This Zone has no fixed population cap, other than server strength (similar to OWPvP design).Tempest Gorge is much larger than its Bg counterpart.

How Does Tempest Gorge work?

Tempest Gorge is a week long constant battle. A Point system is in place, that counts your faction’s total actions points gain for each action done, such as defeating Faction NPC, destroying Towers, collecting resources, killing players, destroying vehicles, defeating neutral faction NPC, repairing towers, summoning units, capping Grave yards, and doing the repeatable zone quest.

In Tempest Gorge, the zone is filled NPC both from each playable faction, with even more NPC joining the fight as neutral factions. This new Zone, adds both PvP objectives, and Large Scale PvE Objectives all in one.

Air Combat and Flying Sieges:

In Tempest Gorge, Air Combat deals with main Ariel Gunship, 1 for each of the playable factions. Players get to access to 6 flying vehicles, 3 per faction. All Air Vehicles are mounted from the gunship. The Gunships loop around the zone in a large 8 shape as it follows the river. Each Gunship has battle turrets, and bombers, making it great for AIR-2-AIR combat, and AIR-2-GROUND combat. The mountable Air sieges are the following: Blimp (The Defiant) Zeppelin (Guardians), Airplane (Guardians), helicopter (The Defiant)), Gryphon (Guardians), Dragon (The Defiant)). But be careful, the Defiant/Guardians, isn’t your only enemy in the air. The Sky Elementals has joined the fight, and will attack all their enemies that linger in the sky.

Naval Combat:

Naval Combat is a new feature added to this Tempest Gorge which takes place in the newly added river. Naval Vehicles include:

*Powerful Battleships-the Icebreaker (Defiant) and Juggernaut (Guardian). (Only 2 battle ships can be used at any time per factions.)

*Elven Destroyer- High Elf and Bahmi destroyers.

*Submarines- Dwarfish Submarine (Guardian) and Kelari Submarine (Defiant).

*Frigate- Human Warship (Guardian) and Forsaken Vessel (Defiant)

Naval Ships, provide great SEA-2-SEA combat, and great SEA-2-GROUND combat. But be careful. The Naga, have stormed the river with their giant Sea Turtle and Sea Crab, to put an end to both the Guardian and the Defiant Naval forces.

Neutral Factions:

Tempest Gorge, features many neutral hostile factions, that will attack Guardian/Defiant forces. Many of these Neutral Factions host a capture-able (building/resource/Grave yard) of some kind. In the center of the map, is a Keep being controlled by the Dark Rogue Guild. The Keep is built on top of a Cave in which the River goes through. The Troll tribes have decided to return, to take back control of the Gorge. A Heroic Boss Elite Troll can be found guarding each of the Neutral Graveyards, and neutral tower in the center of map. The Yeti, Undead, and Elemental’ army has also grown with numbers, and powers. These groups wonder the Gorge, attacking all in their path. These factions can take cap points for their self, if ignored. The only way to stop these factions, are to defeat their rift leaders (Heroic Boss Elites) that hide in the rifts in the caves scattered around Tempest gorge. The Sky Elementals will attack both Defiant and Guardian members from the Sky and ground. The Naga guard the river from intruders.

Ground Sieges:

*Siege Engine

*Demolisher

*Catapult

*Spike Thrower

*Steam Armor – is a siege used to collect special resources in the zone (Features a Jackhammer arm for collecting Ores, Lasers Lens for great Ground to Air combat, and has a flame thrower)

*Shredder – is a siege used to collect Special resources in the zone. (Features a shredder blade, and rockets that can attack air units. Also throws Grenades)

come on.. anybody wana join in?

2 things:

1. This seems like a lot of work for... you didn't even say what the prize is.
    2. You didn't give any rules.
    its = possessive, it's = it is | whose = possessive, who's = who is | your = possessive, you're = you are | too = also or too much, to = to go or to do, two = 2 | their = possessive, there = a place, they're = they are | than = comparative, then = deals with time

Sign these petitions: Halo Reach for PC | Legend of the Seeker season 3 (tv show)

Quote Originally Posted by Brangdha View Post
    2 things:

1. This seems like a lot of work for... you didn't even say what the prize is.
    2. You didn't give any rules.
    1) I cant say what the reward is, since I dont know how PvP rewarded yet, since the developers didnt explain how that work. I could only explain how the battleground works.

2) "the How Does Tempest Gorge work?" section explains how the gameplay works in Tempest Gorge. Or am I misunderstanding what you are saying?

In the title you said this is a design contest. Not an in-game contest.
    its = possessive, it's = it is | whose = possessive, who's = who is | your = possessive, you're = you are | too = also or too much, to = to go or to do, two = 2 | their = possessive, there = a place, they're = they are | than = comparative, then = deals with time

Sign these petitions: Halo Reach for PC | Legend of the Seeker season 3 (tv show)

Ok this is the map for League Of Legends a popluar MOBA just like Dota and HoN it would be cool to have a BG mode that follows their pattern in a way. The places i marked show where the towers are located.

Anyways here is how the game works 5 players on each side but since its an mmo you can fluctuate the numbers of players simultaneously. How it works each team will have towers and a nexus to destory, now this is how it will differ from the MOBA counter parts! t

The game works on each team having five champions and those champions jungling,farming,ganking to get items to be better to win dragons and barons and mobs that give buffs but its most importantly items over time each game is static. The overrall objective is to play tactical to take out their nexus while destorying their towers. Which gives alot of gold and then grabbing inhibs or if you do play Moba in other games racks or barracks.

FOR ALL MOBA PLAYERS

Here is why this will work if done right in theory

Dpsers are the carries

Tanks need have viable abilitys for pvp like a taunt that can grab enemies off of their dpsers or support

Supports are healers and hybrids

since this is rift you can of course make your own builds up so this will allow for strategic gameplay in terms of builds and wanting to compete having choke points in world pvp that isn't exactly RVR on a massive scale,but something that can fit the rift theme that will help give players the incentive to want to run into different BG types but also retain the amount of players to make the world feel big and full in terms of pvp and ganking goes.

Now how can they fit this game type into a MMO setting easy take out certain features that only work for MOBAs and add some innovations and people will be happy pretty much. In jungle you will have two mobs that give great buffs but for a certain amount of time so teams would have to be tactical with grabbing buffs but also attempting the big boss.

Which will give them buffs over time but the objective will remain the same it could be very rift themed mobs will be roaming and it would be interesting having people blow up towers from the inside out.

Overrall i think game types like this has it place in an MMO game! BG types make pvp tactical so that it works in good pugs but also teams that want to be serious.

Create an enviroment that mmo players never experienced before MOBA players will of course connect to it but MMO players they will be like kids in a candy store =)

Its very hard to balance these types of things in any game you are faced with an anti-fun scenario or will it fit with the games balance or will it feel right so game types need to be looked at carefully.

So it doesn't detract from the world pvp experience but both can coexist together to give players a good experience for the game and, overrall giving it a versatile yet balanced experience having tactical but fun teambased BGs for serious teams or puggy teams.

Setting up leagues for competitions but also having rifts connect with world pvp will be the ultimate challenge good things to ponder game designing philosphy is so much fun i love it!
    Last edited by Callipygous; 11-23-2010 at 01:53 PM.
    If ignorance is bliss, you must be ******ic.

Quote Originally Posted by Brangdha View Post
    In the title you said this is a design contest. Not an in-game contest.
    ?

yes I know this. thats why I posted my idea for a instanced PvP battleground.

what are you trying to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by tro44 View Post
    ?

yes I know this. thats why I posted my idea for a instanced PvP battleground.

what are you trying to ask?
    You labeled it community contest as if it was a contest with prizes, that's what he was asking about.
    Do the impossible, See the invisible - Row! Row! Fight the power! Touch the untouchable, Break the unbreakable - Row! Row! Fight the power!
    Power to the peeps, power to the dream - Still missing piece scattering, so incomplete
    We be the most incredible soldier from underground - See how easy, we all fall down
    Digging to the core to see the light - Let's get out of here , that's the way to survive

It eludes to a contest for beta keys imo

This is sorta misleading, as it isn't an official contest as far as I know

Unless I'm misinformed...

Is a competition, you don't always need a predefined 'reward'
    If you challenge your friend to a foot race to the end of the street or w/e, there is no material prize.
    Just that feeling that you did your best and maybe won.

I personally think this is a great idea to keep people's minds busy and away from the whole negative aspect that is starting to brew in this community.

Ok this is the map for League Of Legends a popluar MOBA just like Dota and HoN it would be cool to have a BG mode that follows their pattern in a way. The places i marked show where the towers are located.
    I like this idea, a PVP map inspired by dota! You should post this idea in the suggestions section.

and out.

Lol @ OP with the alteric valley map

by the way, i dislike your idea (no offence)

In general, i HATE vehicles in BGs, I DONT WANT THEM, WoW was supposed to be a fantasy game, but they added all this steam punk crap, choppers, helicopters, off-shore goblin places, catapults and whatnot for BGs, i hate that all.

I want RIFT to be a fantasy game (for the most part) I hope the technology for the Defiance is limited, i hope they dont go crazy with it.

Anyways, i prefer smaller BGs, Week-long BGs would be bad, and i think there should be a player cap, else one team could have tons of extra people, and there would only ever be one BG in the queue.
    Last edited by iAmDeathSpank; 11-23-2010 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic683 View Post
    It eludes to a contest for beta keys imo
    First thing I thought...Second was: Why are there not 1700 posts in it yet?

+ Reply to Thread