Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Short Story Writing Contest Interest?

Exclamation Short Story Writing Contest Interest?

So, for anyone who doesn't know, this month is National Novel Writer's Month (www.nanowrimo.org). While the month is just about over and it's a little too late to begin your entry for NaNoWriMo, it got me thinking.

We have a wonderful amount of people in this forum who enjoy immersing themselves in the Lore and story of the world and their character. Now, I know you've at least thought about how cool it would be to actually have one of your story ideas in game, I know I have!

In NaNoWriMo, thouands of writers get together all over the world to write a 50,000 word novel in one months time. The goal here is not to write the world's greatest novel, it's more of an endurance test meant to help you get your imagination going and open the gates to become a professional author.

In spirit of Rift and it's wonderful amount of Lore that the team at Trion has worked so hard to produce. I offer a contest idea, is there any interest from this community in a short story writing contest based in the world of Rift? If so, please reply to this and tell me what you think because I would love to see what kind of fiction this group of people can produce when they put their minds to work!

I was thinking of a minimum of 2000 words, with no maximum to what you can write.

Now if you're thinking, "Woah, that's a lot... I'm not sure I can do this", 2000 words actually isn't that much, it's about an hour and a half to two hours of writing, and I'm sure you aspiring writers will surely surpass that anyways.

If you've never written a word in your life except for that one story about the zoo in second grade, have no fear! The quality of the story doesn't matter and you can write the bare minimum if you have to. If you are one of those people who gets bad "writer's block" I say there is no such thing. Writer's block is the fear that others will not like what you write, and here it doesn't matter.

I would accept all entries to my personal email and I would only post the top three, at the author's discretion. If there is a lot of interest in this idea I would go out of my way to secure some substantial rewards for the top three entries. If the intial contest turns out to be a big hit, I wouldn't be adverse to running one every few months or so.
    Last edited by JoshuaPonx; 11-22-2010 at 10:50 PM.

I would be up to write I write dumb 10 page essays for class so why not for RIFT

Quote Originally Posted by solusrising View Post
    I would be up to write I write dumb 10 page essays for class so why not for RIFT
    That's the attitude I'm looking for!!

I think once you actually sit down and begin your story that you will all of a sudden become immersed in it, and won't be able to stop your fingers from chattering away.

At least that is my experience with NaNoWriMo, so this should be ten times better!

I like to do free writing where I just type whatever comes in my head. And then edit for longer than actually spent time writing it :P

I was considering doing something like this for RiftRP if I had gotten some VIP codes. But I haven't, however.. I will probably participate for fun, and I can do a post there since there are definitely writers in our midst who might not see it otherwise. Which is why I had considered it in the first place. Roleplayers tend to be a verbose bunch.

Sounds interesting. Does everyone write about the same thing, such as an adventure of a single character? And if it is a novel how does the process of writing work, does one writer start when another finished so there will be correlation between chapters? Can you explain this a bit further please.

Reject the system dictating the norms.

Quote Originally Posted by Delith View Post
    I was considering doing something like this for RiftRP if I had gotten some VIP codes. But I haven't, however.. I will probably participate for fun, and I can do a post there since there are definitely writers in our midst who might not see it otherwise. Which is why I had considered it in the first place. Roleplayers tend to be a verbose bunch.
    I was actually going to post this in the Roleplaying forums but it sublined "In-character discussions only" so I was afraid it would be deleted or thrown into some obscene corner. Also, more players can see it here. I don't have any VIP codes to hand out this second, but I am just looking for interest. I was thinking as a reward those would be fairly easy to obtain. I was also thinking about talking to Arithion (www.riftpodcast.com Owner) and seeing if she could host the best entry on her show for a short 2-3 minutes segment, or something akin to it.

I would love to write a short story too. Keep me informed.
    http://www.silkyvenom.com/forums/gallery/files/1/8/Zederok-sig.jpg

Death is fleeting but Glory is eternal!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGdGM...layer_embedded
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyxFS...layer_embedded

Make a game that fans love and you will get the followers.

Quote Originally Posted by mkjartansson View Post
    Sounds interesting. Does everyone write about the same thing, such as an adventure of a single character? And if it is a novel how does the process of writing work, does one writer start when another finished so there will be correlation between chapters? Can you explain this a bit further please.
    Sure, I'm sorry if the post was misleading with my overuse of the word "community". Every writer would write an individual piece completely seperate from the rest, and edit themselves. There would be no specific guidelines besides the story has to be drawn from Rift lore in Rift world.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaPonx View Post
    I was actually going to post this in the Roleplaying forums but it sublined "In-character discussions only" so I was afraid it would be deleted or thrown into some obscene corner. Also, more players can see it here. I don't have any VIP codes to hand out this second, but I am just looking for interest. I was thinking as a reward those would be fairly easy to obtain. I was also thinking about talking to Arithion (www.riftpodcast.com Owner) and seeing if she could host the best entry on her show for a short 2-3 minutes segment, or something akin to it.
    I've given away my spare VIP key already. Heh. But, people post OOC topics in the RP forum all the time. Don't be afraid of the Roleplaying forum, it doesn't bite.

When you get an official post up, let me know and I'll make a cross-post on RIFTRP for you.

I've given away my spare VIP key already. Heh. But, people post OOC topics in the RP forum all the time. Don't be afraid of the Roleplaying forum, it doesn't bite.

When you get an official post up, let me know and I'll make a cross-post on RIFTRP for you.
    I'll probably post something official sometime soon, tomorrow or Wednesday for sure. I have a concert tomorrow night and I need to write down some actual rules and guidelines.

I would also like to see how many hits this thread gets over the course of a day. But at midnight already and it's getting bites so as !8 says (RiftIRC joke), "All signs point to yes".

I'm totally interested in this. I think I need to brush up on RIFT lore but once that's done I think this'll be a blast!

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaPonx View Post
    I'll probably post something official sometime soon, tomorrow or Wednesday for sure. I have a concert tomorrow night and I need to write down some actual rules and guidelines.

I would also like to see how many hits this thread gets over the course of a day. But at midnight already and it's getting bites so as !8 says (RiftIRC joke), "All signs point to yes".
    PM me when you do. I may not notice otherwise.

Possibly, but I might be really, really busy shortly. Several life changes.

PM me when you do. I may not notice otherwise.
    Will do! Cheers!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast