Closed Thread

Thread: Server (shard) Change?

Soulwalker

Default Server (shard) Change?

Has anyone heard whether or not we will be able to change a character's server in Rift. I am currently in the EU until the summer and wondering if I can change to a US server when I return. Would like to know before game launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Sureshot75 View Post
    Has anyone heard whether or not we will be able to change a character's server in Rift. I am currently in the EU until the summer and wondering if I can change to a US server when I return. Would like to know before game launch.
    You can play in either US or EU servers. But your characters made in any server, be US or EU, can't be transfered (yet) to a different servers, you'll just need to start a new character when you play on a different server.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinadass
    People on the internet are jerks, deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sureshot75 View Post
    Probably after every part of game-play is deemed to be acceptably balanced, this server will be made available.

I hope it's not the "I charge what I want" price that Blizzard puts on their services. It isn't nearly realistic with the amount of work that goes into actually doing the changing process.

Quote Originally Posted by Puree View Post
    I hope it's not the "I charge what I want" price that Blizzard puts on their services. It isn't nearly realistic with the amount of work that goes into actually doing the changing process.
    However it makes them money and makes people think before hopping there char's around servers. They are a business you cant blame them for making money

Quote Originally Posted by jaal View Post
    However it makes them money and makes people think before hopping there char's around servers. They are a business you cant blame them for making money
    But I can expect a company to be moderately reasonable with the prices they charge for a game you're already paying to play...

Rift Disciple

Yes it would be nice if you could do that in the situation that you would NEED to be on an EU server, but due to *******s that would abuse this as a "I'm going to act like a total **** but then when I'm infamous for it I'll just transfer" This is why we can't have nice things. However! If Trion would implement it so you can only transfer from EU to US and vice versa and add a couple rules like you can only do it x amount of times this could work.
    See that sports fan whose having a great time cheering on their favourite team? He's no different from serious gamers. Tell him to "calm down its just a game" when he gets excited/mad will get you a punch in the face most likely.

You can play on both EU and US shards however you can't transfer characters, at least thats not been mentioned as yet.

D_B
    Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Puree View Post
    Probably after every part of game-play is deemed to be acceptably balanced, this server will be made available.

Quote Originally Posted by jaal View Post
    I hope this is never implemented into Rift at all... for *ANY* price.
    Speaking from a community standpoint, it stinks to allow someone to pay some cash and get out of a bad reputation repeatedly. Some jerk can be a total tool to guild after guild on a server, cause endless amounts of trouble, finally be so hated he is blackballed by every raid team and guild on the server... and just transfer to another server and start fresh.
    That's not cool.

The biggest thing missing from most modern MMOs is a good community where people are accountable for what they do and how they treat others. Being a tool *USED* to get people kicked out of good guilds. Now it just encourages them to swap servers when word gets out.
    I'd be thrilled if Trion never, ever allows this sort of crap in Rift.

Shadowlander

One use I see for it that has nothing with hiding/escaping reputation is for the start of the game when you end up with huge queues on some servers, low pop on others, guilds split due to who started a character during headstart and others waited until regular release and so on.

I wish all games would allow server switches free for the first couple weeks to help cleanup some of that mess that always seems to happen. Yeah people could plan better or just start over - doesn't seem to work from what I've experience. The mess at the start always takes months to work itself out.

Quote Originally Posted by D_B View Post
    I hope this is never implemented into Rift at all... for *ANY* price.
    Speaking from a community standpoint, it stinks to allow someone to pay some cash and get out of a bad reputation repeatedly. Some jerk can be a total tool to guild after guild on a server, cause endless amounts of trouble, finally be so hated he is blackballed by every raid team and guild on the server... and just transfer to another server and start fresh.
    That's not cool.

The biggest thing missing from most modern MMOs is a good community where people are accountable for what they do and how they treat others. Being a tool *USED* to get people kicked out of good guilds. Now it just encourages them to swap servers when word gets out.
    I'd be thrilled if Trion never, ever allows this sort of crap in Rift.
    This. Consequences for one's actions are a good thing.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Badgered View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JzeroVN View Post
    One use I see for it that has nothing with hiding/escaping reputation is for the start of the game when you end up with huge queues on some servers, low pop on others, guilds split due to who started a character during headstart and others waited until regular release and so on.

I wish all games would allow server switches free for the first couple weeks to help cleanup some of that mess that always seems to happen. Yeah people could plan better or just start over - doesn't seem to work from what I've experience. The mess at the start always takes months to work itself out.
    This. Consequences for one's actions are a good thing.
    You are both extremely wrong.

Unfortunately my friends and i are split between two servers, because many of us didn't want to wait 37 hours in queue for a server in the first few days. We all want to change to be on the same server (dont care which way around the swap is), why should we not be allowed to do this?

Your approach is much like what RuneScape did, in that its solution to botters (your solution to people avoiding consequences) was to dumb down the game and disallow a whole load of stuff, such as TRADING and PVP DROPS. They removed FREEDOM to remove botters. Absolute idiocy. Recently this was reverted, because it had a negative impact on peoples experiences.

I'm not saying people shouldn't have consequences, believe me, you'll find no bigger advocate for consequences of actions on the internet/games/forums. But if you want to deal with consequences, there are much more intelligent ways to go about it.

For example, give each account (not character) a Karma/Rating/Reputation. Other players can rank you with good or bad feedback. This would travel with you between region/shard/server. Heck, even allow people to leave comments as to why they like/dislike you. Then even allow other players to vote on these comments! Then you could look at a players profile and see the Top 5 positive and negative comments, giving you a clear indication of what kind of player they are.

Only a fool would disallow Shard transfers to try to stop the 'lack of consequences' it 'provides'.
    Last edited by Chiss; 02-26-2011 at 08:20 AM.

Closed Thread