+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 61

Thread: For those who are trying to get into the beta....

  1. #1
    Telaran Revv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    56

    Exclamation For those who are trying to get into the beta....

    Please remember what the beta test is for.

    Here is a good article that explains what I mean...
    http://www.examiner.com/mmorpg-in-da...-a-beta-tester

    I can not wait to play this game!

    Good luck to everyone on beta invites.

  2. #2
    General of Telara Reciprocity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a gutter, drunk
    Posts
    660

    Default

    I agree with the article, but he leaves out a few "vital" parts. Beta tests are dev driven. Meaning, it depends on what they are looking for. Yes, you should report any bugs that you find, but at the same time, not lose focus on the goal that the devs have set. In past beta tests, I have been asked to do everything from just play and quest away, and in others, to participate in certain encounters and then give feedback on it.

  3. #3
    Soulwalker Sauls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    7

    Red face

    I read this article and i very strongly agree!!!!!!!

  4. #4
    Sword of Telara Sifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    551

    Default

    Well lets be honest here. Beta tests are not what they were 10 or 15 years ago. These days they almost are an advertising tool as much as anything. In fact Trion seems to have very much used their Beta for that purpose. Giving away keys all over websites like Twitter an running contests. That's pure advertising since nothing about that seems designed to weed out quality testers. So if they are not that concerned about it then I guess no point in us being concerned. Just trust them I suppose. From what it sounds like this game has actually been in heavy internal testing for nearly a year. Which would explain why their are using their Beta more for attention than serious testing.

    But yeah if your invited to a Beta weekend its nice to actually help an give feedback an what they are trying to test that weekend.

  5. #5
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Yep yep, still doesnt mean you can't appreciate their fine product while you help them test it out. Hope to see you all out there!

    Rompster

  6. #6
    Telaran Pirate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    76

    Default Very Good Article

    Aye, agree whole heartedly. I will be spending my days off on the beta, probably about 36 hours straight, and my other monitor will have a word up for me to swap over to note all of the bugs I find for reporting later.

    I recommend everyone also have a pen and paper available if they get any errors, because the error code can help developers as well. Also remember to pull up a copy of your dxdiag to submit with any technical errors as that can help them diagnose if it is their issue, or your specs.
    Last edited by Pirate; 11-20-2010 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Fat Fingers...typing correction
    Gimme a blade in me a blade in one hand, a rum in de other, and a wench on me lap...now dats heaven!

  7. #7
    Shadowlander SporkWitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Hirschhorn, Germany
    Posts
    39

    Default

    I agree with everything except his bullet points.

    1) All MMO releases to date have launched with issues. The three most common being lack of content, bugs, and network/infrastructure-related issues. Normally a combination of all three, to varying degrees. It also tends toward a sliding scale: games that have a lot of content (especially if it's substantial content, not just copypasta), tend to have performance issues and/or bugs. Games with few if any bugs or performance issues tend not to have a ton of content (or if they do, a lot of it is copypasta.) Further deviating from the author's bullet 1, is the fact that WoW specifically not only had nothing but copypasta quests of the "go here and kill this" and "go here and bring back these drops" variety, with only a handful of dungeons (which consisted largely of the same, on a very linear path), but had crippling server and connection issues and numerous bugs, which were further exacerbated by insufficient hardware to handle the number of players (though this is, admittedly, common enough; very few MMO's are able to accurately predict launch day load, and put sufficient hardware in place to handle it.) Most annoyingly, server stability and performance were still well below the industry standard as recently as last year (nodes crapping out regularly, and entire servers going out more often than is normal for a game of this level).

    2) Most of the best MMO's to date, including many of the most successful MMO's to date, had horrible launches. EVE Online and Anarchy Online spring to mind as the best examples, both of which are still going strong today (EVE is, in fact, the only MMO to date that's shown relatively consistent growth since launch; even WoW is largely on a decline, trending down, with spikes at expansion launches and a relatively rapid return to the approximate number of subs from a few months before the expansion dropped). No game launches perfect, but if your game is good, even if it's buggy, has server issues, or lack a lot of content, as long as the core game and concept are good, and the developer doesn't drop the ball, it will probably go on to succeed.

    That's my gripe with the link. He makes sound points about the importance of testing, what it's there for, and the fact that, especially these days, the majority that want to help test don't want to help test, just to play the game early. But the bullet points are completely wrong, as evidenced by the fact that some of the most successful games had horrible launches, and ALL MMO's launch with issues of some kind, including the one he specifically cites: WoW (which had some of the WORST server-related issues at its own launch, and had about the same amount of content as FFXIV is being slammed for having.)

  8. #8
    Rift Chaser Riven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    325

    Default

    I remember the days of the "Core" forums for Warhammer! Myself and Adam G went round and round !

  9. #9
    Plane Touched MacDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tucson, AZ & Skåne, EU
    Posts
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Aye, agree whole heartedly. I will be spending my days off on the beta, probably about 36 hours straight, and my other monitor will have a word up for me to swap over to note all of the bugs I find for reporting later.

    I recommend everyone also have a pen and paper available if they get any errors, because the error code can help developers as well. Also remember to pull up a copy of your dxdiag to submit with any technical errors as that can help them diagnose if it is their issue, or your specs.
    If you are invited to test, please use the ingame bug reporting tools while you are still at the location where you found a bug. Most modern games will automaticly include usefull info about the loc and the state of your client at that time. If you batch the reports for later submission, they have less value.

    [EDIT] From the Beta FAQ which can be found here: http://www.riftgame.com/en/beta/faq.php

    "How do I provide feedback during beta?

    You can provide feedback in-game by accessing the help menu (the “?” at the bottom right of the game screen). You will also have access to the RIFT beta forums during the beta event and for 48 hours after the conclusion of the event, where you can provide additional feedback. Remember to keep information about the RIFT beta limited to the beta section on the forums until the NDA is lifted."
    Last edited by MacDeath; 11-20-2010 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Added link to Beta FAQ
    Mac

  10. #10
    Plane Touched Sabrael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Missouri, USA
    Posts
    176

    Default

    Having been in MANY alpha and beta tests in the past, I can say that I find the tests where the product has an internal FEEDBACK option and Bug type check boxes to be the most efficient. I use those religiously inside products/games. Feedback can be many types, and the author categorizing it early can be most helpful.

    The forums aren't as convenient nor do they feed directly into the game bug database the way an in game feedback option does. Once something is in their database, they can review it, assess, merge with duplicates, summarize, prioritize it, assign it, track it, etc. On a forum, bugs get buried in the mud - good stuff along with the noise.
    Last edited by Sabrael; 11-21-2010 at 01:05 AM.

  11. #11
    Banned Cyborg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Hell Gate
    Posts
    1,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revv View Post
    Please remember what the beta test is for.

    Here is a good article that explains what I mean...
    http://www.examiner.com/mmorpg-in-da...-a-beta-tester

    I can not wait to play this game!

    Good luck to everyone on beta invites.
    Nope ,i think you are wrong boy , u cant force all people to play the game ,and just test it.98% say they will test the game and they in fact just play. You should stay a time and learn more things abouit mmo and then make your own article and not post link with how is nice to do and why ?
    Last edited by Cyborg; 11-21-2010 at 01:08 AM.

  12. #12
    Shadowlander SporkWitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Hirschhorn, Germany
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
    Nope ,i think you are wrong boy , u cant force all people to play the game ,and just test it.98% say they will test the game and they in fact just play. You should stay a time and learn more things abouit mmo and then make your own article and not post link with how is nice to do and why ?
    Actually, you CAN force it, by monitoring for feedback, and removing beta access for those that aren't providing anything of substance.

    You're right in that [arbitrary percentage that makes up a majority] will say they'll test, but will in fact just play. You're wrong in thinking he needs to stay and learn anything. If you ignore the two bullet points, the article is absolutely right, and everyone that actually understands that "beta test" means test, not "head start" or "sneak preview," knows it.

    Granted his posting it doesn't do much good (the trash that'll use beta access as a sneak preview and not contribute anything to the testing process -- other than load testing -- won't read it and/or won't give a damn). It doesn't change that there's nothing that needs to be learned, the TC and the article he linked (excluding the two idiotic and absolutely wrong bullet points) are right.

  13. #13
    Banned Cyborg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Hell Gate
    Posts
    1,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SporkWitch View Post
    Actually, you CAN force it, by monitoring for feedback, and removing beta access for those that aren't providing anything of substance.

    You're right in that [arbitrary percentage that makes up a majority] will say they'll test, but will in fact just play. You're wrong in thinking he needs to stay and learn anything. If you ignore the two bullet points, the article is absolutely right, and everyone that actually understands that "beta test" means test, not "head start" or "sneak preview," knows it.

    Granted his posting it doesn't do much good (the trash that'll use beta access as a sneak preview and not contribute anything to the testing process -- other than load testing -- won't read it and/or won't give a damn). It doesn't change that there's nothing that needs to be learned, the TC and the article he linked (excluding the two idiotic and absolutely wrong bullet points) are right.
    The article is right for who ? ,maybe for you not for me and for others.Dream on and hope for them to monitor the testers and what they do next ,spank them for not give feedback ,maybe the poor creature didnt see any bug.The difference at them is that they got payed pro testers im sure of it and they of course have a flawless alpha.They care only about marketing with this kind of trash chance keys.

  14. #14
    Ascendant JoshuaPonx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Marana, AZ
    Posts
    1,147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
    The article is right for who ? ,maybe for you not for me and for others.Dream on and hope for them to monitor the testers and what they do next ,spank them for not give feedback ,maybe the poor creature didnt see any bug.The difference at them is that they got payed pro testers im sure of it and they of course have a flawless alpha.They care only about marketing with this kind of trash chance keys.
    I believe this thread is directed at people like you. Those who are giddy over their Beta key so they can run around and play the game then brag in the forums about how they have Beta access.

  15. #15
    Banned Cyborg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Hell Gate
    Posts
    1,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaPonx View Post
    I believe this thread is directed at people like you. Those who are giddy over their Beta key so they can run around and play the game then brag in the forums about how they have Beta access.
    You believe wrong again ,the post is directed to people like you ,that think they are some kind of pro testers and they do they job good.You make me laugh nub.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts