Closed Thread

Thread: PvP, PvE, PvP-RP, PvE-RP (What is this ?)

Telaran

Default PvP, PvE, PvP-RP, PvE-RP (What is this ?)

PvP, PvE, PvP-RP, PvE-RP.
    What is this & what are the differentces, I'm total nood in this area. I bought Rift & this is my 1st game in this kind.
    Can some1 plz explaine & guide what should i choose?
    I just know that PvP is Player vs. Player, but i still dont know how this works.

What is SHARD ? Thx in advance.

I have Collectors Edition & when i create character i dont have PET, why ?
    Last edited by GODLIKE99KINGZ; 02-06-2011 at 08:43 AM.

Ascendant

PVP = Player vs Player
    PVE = Player vs Environment

RP = Role Play

In PVP, you can fight other players anytime in the world after level 10.

A Shard is a server.

If you bought a digital CE version, your pet should be in your in game mailbox.
    Last edited by winterfall; 02-06-2011 at 08:45 AM.

RP is when people behave as though they are the character they are playing based on the lore of the world. In other words, you make up and act out a story with other players that is based in the "reality" of Telera.
    Please check your trollrage or risk sounding like this when you post: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/558516

"From the splinter in the hand to the thorn in the heart, to the shotgun to the head;
    you've got no choice but to learn to glean solace from pain, or you'll end up cynical or dead"--Jim White, musician and storyteller.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by winterfall View Post
    In PVP, you can fight other players anytime in the world after level 10.
    If you bought a digital CE version, your pet should be in your in game mailbox.
    PvP - can i turn this off if im in in PvP server?. if i lose , can they take my items from back pack? what do i gain for battling with other Players

PvE - If i choose this server, can't I battle other players, just AI ?

Quote: If you bought a digital CE version, your pet should be in your in game mailbox.
    u mean when i press "C" in-game ? cos when i press C & i go to PET tab i see no pet available.

PvP & PvP-RP : is game scenario gonna be different ? No story? what will i gain choosing PvP-RP ?

thx for help

A little more info on what the shard is:

A massively-muli-player online game (MMO) is geared so that lots of people can play in the same world at the same time, but there is a limit. Say for example (these numbers are made up, but the actual numbers don't really matter) that Rift server can handle 2000 simultaneous players before it begins to slow down, but there are 500,000 people that are subscribed. Now obviously, not everyone will play at the same time, but similarly, even if only a tenth are online at once, it's obvious that one single world can't handle all of them. Aside from pure calculation ability and bandwidth of the hardware, the world would feel too crowded, and there would not be enough monsters for everyone to kill.

The solution is multiple shards, or worlds- the name shard actually came from Ultima Online, where part of the story arc was that the Universe exploded into a multitude of "shards", all existing simultaneously in the same place and same time, in some kind of multi-dimensional space, though they only had like 3 in the beginning, if I recall correctly. Anyway, a shard is a whole world where you create your characters, and they will stay on that shard forever (barring some kind of transfer service added later on). There is no interaction between the shards, though I hear the warfronts might be cross-server? Not sure on that deal. For the most part though, once you choose a shard and make your character there, that is world in which he or she will "live".

The rest is just having to do with the player vs player rules. In PvE, fighting against other players is voluntary. The players on each side have to flag themselves for PvP in order to be attacked by players from the other side. There is no PvP between members of the same faction, except perhaps duels. On PvP servers, once you move out of the starting areas, you can and will be attacked by other players often. Some people find that adds excitement to the game, other just find it adds annoyance- but that's why both server types exist.

RP is the designation for servers that encourage role play. When role playing, you are essentially an actor, playing the role of your character, talking like you think he would talk, doing things you think he would do. You would would talk about things like warning the townspeople of a death rift forming just over the hill, and NOT things like who will win American Idol. The truth is, very few people actually role play, but you can find it occasionally, generally more often on the role play designated servers than on the others.

Quote Originally Posted by GODLIKE99KINGZ View Post
    PvP - can i turn this off if im in in PvP server?. if i lose , can they take my items from back pack? what do i gain for battling with other Players

PvE - If i choose this server, can't I battle other players, just AI ?

Quote: If you bought a digital CE version, your pet should be in your in game mailbox.
    u mean when i press "C" in-game ? cos when i press C & i go to PET tab i see no pet available.

PvP & PvP-RP : is game scenario gonna be different ? No story? what will i gain choosing PvP-RP ?

thx for help
    No, you can't turn off your PvP flag on a PvP server. That's essentially the difference between the two server types. On a PvE server, you can choose to fight players of the opposite faction any time you wish- assuming you can find any that are also flagged. From my experience in similar games, it's not too hard to find them in higher level areas, which are shared by both factions. Some people play on PvE servers, but go around almost all the time flagged for PvP. I suppose this gives them kind of the same sense of danger as PvP, but with the difference that they can turn it off if they just aren't in the mood. There are also warfronts, which are instanced content where players from both sides are flagged for PvP (can't turn it off while in the warfront), and transported to a special battleground to fight it out. You go there voluntarily.

As far as the pet, it's not just the CE version, it's any pre-order for the pets. I believe CE gets a turtle mount, though. To get your in game mail, you need to find a mail box in game. There are mail boxes in most towns. Once you get your mail, in order to get the pet, you have to do a simple quest- essentially, just travel to the main city and talk to an NPC. I'm not sure about the turtle, as I don't have CE.

Oh, and for RP: The story line is the same for both RP and non-RP servers. The only difference is in how likely it is for the PLAYERS to play a role in that story line. The quests and story line of the game are identical though.
    Last edited by Tallenn; 02-06-2011 at 10:14 AM.

Rift Disciple

If this is your very first game of this type, and you are not familiar with Role-Play, you may want to start off on a Non-Role Play server.

However, many RPers will recognize if someone is new to it, and often just overlook it, and try to encourage them.
    So its up to you if thats something that interests you.

RP is alot of fun, but its not everyones cup of tea.

As already mentioned, when you RolePlay, everything you do and everything you say is based on what your Character would do.
    Not what you think you would do.
    Last edited by CenturyChild; 02-06-2011 at 10:20 AM.
    System Specs:
    MOBO: DFI DK x48
    CPU/RAM: Intel Q9650 @ 3.6 -- 8GB G-Skill Pi 1066 (4x2GB)
    Audio: X-Fi Xtreme Gamer (5.1 Speaker setup)
    GPU: Sapphire HD4890 Toxic
    Power: Corsair 650W PSU
    Case: Antec 900
    HDs: Intel 40GB SSDx2 -- 1TB & 640GB WD Black Ed.Spinners
    Display: LG-2453 @ 1920x1080

Telaran

Thank you for your help guys, now i have idea what is going down.
    in PvP can low level meet high level & battle him?

When I look at the server list, I only see one server PVP-RP. What happened to PVP-PVE?

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...ft-Server-List!

Closed Thread