+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Wrastion

Thread: Rift ad

Prophet of Telara

Default Rift ad

I was surprised to see a Rift ad at the top of the MMO Populations webpage calling Rift "the ultimate F2P MMORPG." It probably is the most free of any of them.

https://mmo-population.com/list

On the list of Most Popular MMOs, Rift was listed at number 52 with 4,814 total players. I don't understand where they got that number or how the ranking works because lower ranked games often have higher total players than higher ranked games.

Most of gamigo's MMOs were not on the list including biggies Wizard101 and Trove. Besides Rift only Archeage and Shaiya were listed. Archeage was at number 28 with 42,063 total users. Shaiya was at 120 with 0 total users.

On the MMO Growth page, Rift was listed at 9,373 players now and 9,348 thirty days ago for a +0.27% change in the last thirty days. That put Rift in 76th place on that list ahead of World of Warcraft at number 80 (+0.26%) and Archeage at number number 97 (-0.15%).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rift ad-riftad.jpg  

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Zornar View Post
    I was surprised to see a Rift ad at the top of the MMO Populations webpage calling Rift "the ultimate F2P MMORPG." It probably is the most free of any of them.

https://mmo-population.com/list

On the list of Most Popular MMOs, Rift was listed at number 52 with 4,814 total players. I don't understand where they got that number or how the ranking works because lower ranked games often have higher total players than higher ranked games.

Most of gamigo's MMOs were not on the list including biggies Wizard101 and Trove. Besides Rift only Archeage and Shaiya were listed. Archeage was at number 28 with 42,063 total users. Shaiya was at 120 with 0 total users.

On the MMO Growth page, Rift was listed at 9,373 players now and 9,348 thirty days ago for a +0.27% change in the last thirty days. That put Rift in 76th place on that list ahead of World of Warcraft at number 80 (+0.26%) and Archeage at number number 97 (-0.15%).
    Some sites are very unreliable. Many sites take a cut via links when people sign up via a link. So anything they sponsor is placed at better spots.

That aside, growth is relative to actual numbers. 2 million players adding 1000 players < 100 players adding 10 players. Think on that. This is why polls are misleading. Everyone knows, for example, that players are leaving WoW in droves, not really picking up numbers so again, bad comparison that is extremely misleading.

Rift total players is probably calculated by character login. It could be by account, but, if its character login I logged on 4 toons this week, for example. That 7000 is more then likely 1000 people Im guessing. I could be wrong though we would have to know how they are counting.

Too much misleading information that leads nowhere with no way to know if this is good, bad, or nothing.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Wrastion View Post

Rift total players is probably calculated by character login. It could be by account, but, if its character login I logged on 4 toons this week, for example. That 7000 is more then likely 1000 people Im guessing. I could be wrong though we would have to know how they are counting.
    I posted mainly because of the Rift ad. I was surprised gamigo was still advertising Rift, although it hardly seems a high traffic site.

There's multiple possibilities of how they might be getting their numbers. All they say is "We track over 100 MMORPG games hourly to keep up to date on their estimated player numbers, subscriber counts and more."

That's very vague. Tracking hourly may not reveal the total number of logins because some players log in for a brief time just to check auctions, grab daily gifts and resend minions. If there are 4,000 players for two hours in a row, many players in the second hour may not be the same ones on during the first hour.

Too, those logged in for less than an hour may be missed if they aren't on at the hourly check time.

Gamigo seems mainly concerned about revenue anyway, not player numbers.

I agree that a lot of the statistics are of questionable accuracy. The site claims Rift has 4,815 total players on one page but 9,537 active players on another page. Don't know what to make of that.

https://mmo-population.com/top/2021

The Rift "total player base" is given as 506,825. I expect most of the latter would be long inactive accounts.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Wrastion View Post
    S

Too much misleading information that leads nowhere with no way to know if this is good, bad, or nothing.
    This, with so many alts, I'm betting they are counting character logins which would be extremely misleading.

If there are 1000 players, that would exceed my expectations at this point.

About WOW, that game is done and over for casual players. It's now all about esports and rankings. I quit 6 months ago and will never go back to that game. Same with my rather large group of gaming friends.

I don't play Rift much anymore either. Nothing to do.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Hotflashes View Post
    This, with so many alts, I'm betting they are counting character logins which would be extremely misleading.

If there are 1000 players, that would exceed my expectations at this point.
    I don't see how it could be as few as 1,000 Rift players because the player stats for the last 5 years are remarkably stable as the attached graph from mmo-population.com indicates.

Gamigo reported Rift net revenues of about $2.5 million in 2019 so it seems highly unlikely player spending averaged $2,500 per player per year.

If it is as few as 1,000 Rift players then maybe there are a number of "whales" spending huge sums each per year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rift ad-riftplayerstats.jpg  

+ Reply to Thread